The future of TV's

Draconator

8 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Generally agree.............but that's not what happened with plasma tv technology...........they discontinued it despite it being a superior picture to the LCD tech and it took many years for OLED to be readily available to replicate the deep blacks of plasma.........and only now are those starting to size up to anywhere near the cheaper panel technologies.      

The Panasonic line of Plasma tvs around 2006/2007 were some of the best tvs I'll ever experience in my life. Glad I purchased a couple back then. They lasted almost 15 years with no issues, but then had to get rid of them recently because they were just too heavy for where we wanted to put tvs, and had some minor burn-in which was my fault.

But the picture quality was unlike anything I've had since, even with the advent of 4k.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

7 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

The Panasonic line of Plasma tvs around 2006/2007 were some of the best tvs I'll ever experience in my life. Glad I purchased a couple back then. They lasted almost 15 years with no issues, but then had to get rid of them recently because they were just too heavy for where we wanted to put tvs, and had some minor burn-in which was my fault.

But the picture quality was unlike anything I've had since, even with the advent of 4k.

I have a Panasonic Plasma(10 years old??).  No need to have latest and greatest.  Other than losing an HDMI port on it, and putting a scratch in the screen(I had no idea it wasn’t made of glass or at the very least scratch proof), I will keep it until it dies. 

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

what hand gestures will bring up the netflix app, go to the search function, then type in letters for what I am looking for?

dont-get-it.gif

The alexa-powered (or other voice recognition app) remote works just fine.

Other than the remote thing, I think it all sounds good, especially the charging function, however I wouldnt trust the first generation of it.  I wonder how light it will be that it sticks?  I also wonder what size is the $3,000 version.  I just got a 75" TV mounted in my living room and it is 75 pounds and no sticking/adhesive would hold that up securely and safely.  If there is an adhesive that would do the trick, Im sure it would tear out a chunk of drywall when it is time to replace the TV or move.

I'm sure it already exists, but the cell phone seems like the most obvious thing to replace the remote.  You already have it in your hand anyway.  The only potential issue is when more than one person has control of the tv, marriages will end.

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Generally agree.............but that's not what happened with plasma tv technology...........they discontinued it despite it being a superior picture to the LCD tech and it took many years for OLED to be readily available to replicate the deep blacks of plasma.........and only now are those starting to size up to anywhere near the cheaper panel technologies.      

it's funny you say that.  years ago when i bought my first house, i purchased a 50 inch plasma which was a big deal at the time.  kinda bulky, but great tv.  This was probably in 2005/2006-ish.  that tv is now in our basement in our kids area, and the picture is still fantastic.  not a single problem to this day.

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

lol!  i didn't read this far before responding, but is was a 2006 panasonic plasma.  still as good as the 4k tv i have in my office.  my dad ended up buying one about 6 months later because he like mine so much.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Did plasma tvs not last long? What was their problem?

4 hours ago, Augie said:

When do we get decent content for 4k TV’s? I have a couple, but I’m not sure why. 

True, mostly. Some streaming content looks absolutely brilliant, but until football goes 4K, HD on regular teevee is still going to be the norm. Football really drove the SD => HD conversion.

6 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

The no wires thing also is assuming you only stream, including no HD antenna. 

I saw the box that wirelessly transmits signals to these teevees on a CES page and it does have an antenna input as well as HDMI etc.

18 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

This is the most common explanation I've found:

Plasma TVs also required a lot of power to work and tended to get very hot. With the growth of environment-friendly consumer practices, it became clear LED TVs would win out since they required a lot less electricity, and in a way were better for the environment.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Simon said:

Also hidden cost of linked articles.

3 hours ago, shrader said:

I'm sure it already exists, but the cell phone seems like the most obvious thing to replace the remote.  You already have it in your hand anyway.  The only potential issue is when more than one person has control of the tv, marriages will end.

So I need to use a device to find my cell phone somewhere in house to find the remote which is probably near TV.

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

The plasma sets were much more expensive to manufacture compared to LED/LCD.........so there was more money to be made pumping out a higher volume of slightly less expensive TV's that were much less expensive to manufacture.    The LED/LCD tv's didn't have the burn-in issues and glare problem in bright rooms that plasma had.........but those were fixable issues with plasma.........they just cheaped out and gave us significantly worse quality for a decade.     There are actually a lot of those type business decisions in tech.   Like inferior tape technology being used for audio and video when CD/DVD tech was ready to go in the late 70's.    Often times there is more money to be made by leaving the customer wanting as long as possible.

1 hour ago, TBBills said:

I remember being able to feel the heat coming off the Plasma TVs when you got up close to them.

Oh so you remember those women's beach volleyball demos they used to show in-store on the new plasma's?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

7 hours ago, shrader said:

The Roku app on my phone can control any Roku, as long as you are both on the same wifi network.  I've used it to play tricks on some relatives when they're trying to watch something on TV. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Back about 5 years ago, my job had a contract to go into all the Citizens Banks and remove their plasma TV's they used to play ads in the lobby.  The new ads they had made at a higher resolution than the current TVs could not handle.  Rather than ship back the plasmas, they said to just get rid of them however we wanted.  I gave so many TVs away to the point I couldn't find any more people that wanted one.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Not sure... We got like a 52" Samsung Plasma circa 2010. YET... The screen went out about a year in and had to be replaced under warranty... Tech came in and changed the screen right in the house. 

Maybe I transported the original wrong? Anyway... Still going strong 13 years later. 

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Like (+1) 2

these look awesome by specs:  https://www.optomausa.com/product-details/cinemax-d2.  Not seen one myself but had a lower end projector that was great.  These go for about $2500 and you need a somewhat dark room.  with older tech (which are much less expensive) you need a long HDMI cord and a mount on the ceiling.  Ultra short throws like this don't

18 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The plasma sets were much more expensive to manufacture compared to LED/LCD.........so there was more money to be made pumping out a higher volume of slightly less expensive TV's that were much less expensive to manufacture.

When I bought my plasma TV, LCD TVs had just come out. The LCDs were actually a little more expensive and suffered ghosting issues, so I went with the plasma. It lasted for about ten years and started acting funny. By then, LCDs were much better and pretty inexpensive - not to mention being way more energy-efficient - so I bought one. I put the plasma on Craig's List as a free giveaway and told what was wrong. A guy contacted me and said that's a common problem and that he knew how to fix it, so I gave it to him.

• Like (+1) 2

My first big screen was in the early 90’s. It was a 60” Mitsubishi rear projection TV. It was about 3’ deep and we had a giant oak entertainment center built to go around it. 

Our most recent TV is a 77’ LG OLED 4k with an amazing picture. It is mounted above a fireplace and it’s about as thick as a single credit card. Seriously. The change has been absolutely amazing. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.