(Perhaps) Unpopular Take: I have no expectations for the Bills going forward, and I’m ok with it.

eball

8 hours ago, eball said:

There’s another thread that lists out what the community of Buffalo and the Bills have dealt with over the past year…it’s almost unbelievable the amount of tragedy, turmoil, and just plain bad luck that has befallen WNY and our favorite team — and none of it self-inflicted.

The Bills have to feel mentally exhausted.  They’ve had to overcome so much, and now this.

I’m happy with their 3rd consecutive AFC East title and big wins in big moments.  Josh is “the guy” and will be for years to come, but the defense has been decimated by key injuries all season and when combined with the mental fatigue and trauma, I think it is just too much to overcome going forward.

I am proud of the team, the coaches, the fans, the community…proud to call myself a Buffalonian.

Go Bills.

You're right in not holding expectations. It's a fool's game to hold expectations on a team as a fan anyway, with or without extenuating circumstances. But yeah, I have to admit myself I find it it extra irritating when fans are getting on certain player's cases (for not playing up to form) who have had some recent horrible traumas (Marcell Dareus comes to mind).

All that being said, they care a lot about football and competing for a championship so I'm pretty sure they will rally and use this as some sort of mission to "do it for Damar." At this point, the horrible event already occurred and he is receiving the best care he can get from the doctors. No one else can really do anything except offer prayers and support to the family.

If the Bills forfeit the rest of the season because of this accident then they should sell the franchise. Imagine if a 18 year old soldier watched his brother die on the battlefield and the military said we are too devastated to go on? All football is violent and sometimes dangerous. One reason they get paid extremely well. This is a very devastating accident that occurred. Put things in perspective. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I don't see no middle ground here. This nightmare is either going to inspire the guys and light a fire in their belly or totally derail them.

I'm betting on the former but I wouldn't be surprised if the latter happened and I'd totally understand. 

This was visibly traumatic for everyone.  

As they say , a picture is worth a thousand words and this 1 sure is.

Heartbreaking scenario 

FljnqZiX0AU8tMM.thumb.jpeg.8b0689e0c9934abd16b2399e249b18d0.jpeg

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BillyBilliams said:

I’ll always be alright with the outcome of the season.  There isn’t anything we can do about it anyways when it’s over.  

I am a member of the military, and have been for 15 years.  I think I have a different perspective about this.  I’ve had to deal with loss in front of my very eyes.  In Dec 2020, I lost two of my friends and fellow members of my unit in a tragic accident.  3 months later, I lost one of my subordinates in a sudden illness.  He was fine during the day at work, and during the evening didn’t feel well called me up, and told him to go to the hospital.  He would never leave that hospital.  I’ve seen people die on my Aircraft after an attack while I was deployed in Iraq.

The one thing that has absolutely helped me and the rest of the personnel around me was the fact that we all stopped, paused, had counselors come and speak to us if we needed, and we took 1-2 days of downtime thanks to our leaders.  However, with that said, we still had a job to do.  Whether we were at home training, or deployed doing the mission.  The world will not stop.  I understand that the NFL isn’t the military, but it is an entertainment business and its goal is to make as much money as possible.  Them canceling the game last night was absolutely correct, but as insensitive as it sounds, they will have to move on.  There are 30 teams still needing to compete, and it’s unfair to them to stop everything after all they worked for.

I don’t think the Bills season should be over because of this tragedy.  At the end of the day, they still have a job to do.  Dion Dawkins said it tonight as well.  They understand they still have a job to do and they will eventually have to get back to work.  They can do one of two things.  This can affect them to where their performance will not be up to par, or they will rise above all this, play for Damar and become that juggernaut we seen the first few weeks of the season.  

The NFL will continue with the season and week 18 will go on.  In the grand scheme of things, losing on Sunday does not decide whether this team reaches their preseason goals or not.  Sitting around waiting on Damar won’t help him get better.

What will help is the constant prayers, positive vibes, and love for him and his family.  Being there for him and his family is important.  If there are players (Like Dane Jackson) that absolutely cannot play because of this, then give them the time they need and be there for them.  Whether it’s a few days or a few months.  However, as a team, give them a few days and you have to get some normalcy back to everybody, and that means get to work.  Game-planning, practicing, meetings, all that.  I’m not trying to speak for Damar, but if this team fights on for him and does what they set out to do, if Damar recovers from this, I’d like to think he’d be proud.  

I know some people will call me insensitive, but that isn’t my intent.  Like I said, I’ve had to deal with co-workers/friends die in front of me, or even get seriously injured, so I have similar experiences, and I felt I could share that to those who haven’t had something like this happen to them.  I really do believe a football team and a military unit are absolutely similar in a sense of being a family and caring for each other.  You don’t get this kind of bond in a corporate setting.  

You're good. That was a great, very honest post. I couldn't agree more and idk Damar personally but the fact he made it this far as a football player,  I'm sure he would want nothing more than his brothers to kick *** 

Find myself welling up into tears, it feels so personal.

How bad must it be for Damar's nearest and dearest, breaks my heart.

Prayers and Best Wishes.

Damar's health and full recovery is worth more than any Superbowl.

Please be OK.

It would really be something special to overcome everything this year and take out the Championship ..probably a once in 30-40 years team/story … and they might need the next few things (luck, bounce of the ball) to go their way in the playoffs to get it done…

But eventually there is going to be a straw that breaks the camels back…has that already happened now  is the question …

In a way I agree considering what happened and what things look like moving forward this season.

But also looking from a different perspective, what probably feels like a brutally honest take especially in this moment...it's a copout in the sense of what things were looking like before this happened. The Bengals were slicing through us like a hot knife through butter. I don't really know how we would have stopped them.

This team is 6 years into the McD era and his defense, a unit that the organization has put a ton of resources into, literally always gives it up in the biggest games and moments even when being relatively healthy. They are so incredibly reliant on Josh to win, and we all know how much McD crumbles when the pressure is turned up. 

I think he's a good leader in terms of building a culture and keeping guys together...but I still just find it hard to envision us being able to make that push over the top with him. 

So yes, I do kind of agree about not having anymore real expectations for the season...but as much as I would have rooted for it I also honestly don't think a chip would have happened even without this tragedy. 

What happened on Monday certainly took the wind of the sails for me as a fan.  I’ve always been good about not getting upset about the bills because it’s only a game, but Monday was tough.  All of that being said, I don’t think it would be too hard to draw me back in. 

• Agree 1

Yeah, starting to look like the Damar situation will be this years' "13 seconds". 

This is why I believe in "the process":   keep building the roster of high quality athletes/people, don't go all in and blow the cap in any one season, stay highly competitive.  draft/develop and re sign ... the Lombardi will come if this is maintained, if not this year, next, etc.   

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, teef said:

What happened on Monday certainly took the wind of the sails for me as a fan.  I’ve always been good about not getting upset about the bills because it’s only a game, but Monday was tough.  All of that being said, I don’t think it would be too hard to draw me back in. 

Today will go probably go a long way to sorting out my feelings (and yes I quoted you Teef😉).

Monday night when it happened, I actually didn't see it live as I decided after the Bills FG (was disappointed at their play calling after the first down pass to Gilliam) to walk the dog as I was just a bundle of nerves and rather catch up after (and put the game on pause).

At the same time I was taping the Toronto Raptors game and then decided to watch the end of the World Junior Hockey game that was going into OT, which is a huge deal up here (though I find it overblown).  Incredible OT.

I was excited as now I was at least 20 minutes behind and could flip through commercials (and watching the Bills D if Cincy was moving the ball) and catch up quick.

The point was after seeing the play (and yep rewinding it a # of times) and seeing the look on the faces and emotions I too was gutted and had no interest in sports or anything of the sort at that moment and time and all I wanted was to hear positive news.

We all are waiting and hoping that everything is okay and that today we get word that he is okay & breathing on his own (was always told it would be 48 hours). 

Until then very little matters, however as Teef said "I don’t think it would be too hard to draw me back in".

As I too said earlier, if all positive news on  Damar, I will be ready for whatever comes the rest of the season, but won't be nearly as wound up or as upset at drops, bad playcalling, defensive miscues (or opponents conversions), receivers making that tough catch or YAC, coaching second-guesses or missed calls by Refs......

I care no longer about the Bills season (or care about the seeding or replaying the game) & if all is well I'm sure the Playoffs will get me excited again (though regardless will be different).

This year will have an * regardless. 

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Einstein said:

It feels as if the season is over. But I don’t think it has to be.

No, but how can the Bills play again this year? Would you be able to go all out, hit someone and be hit after what happened? I may be wrong, but it seems to me something broke. Other teams will be able to play, but I don't see the Bills out there doing any more than going through the motions.

But the very opposite could happen if Hamlin recovers enough to indicate he's ok. Then I can see the Bills players and coaches channeling all these powerful emotions into the game, and nothing would stop them from winning it all for Damar. 

13 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

This honestly strikes me as one of those NFL fantasy seasons. Patriots winning after 9/11. Saints winning after Katrina. Bills winning it after this. 

I was thinking the same thing yesterday. Hamlin recovers, and the Bills go on to win a ring for him and the city. That would be an all time historic event for Buffalo and the NFL.

Hamlin first, then let’s see what the team decides to do. One thing for sure, we absolutely know we have the right people in the building who will do what’s best for the team/players. 

13 hours ago, eball said:

There’s another thread that lists out what the community of Buffalo and the Bills have dealt with over the past year…it’s almost unbelievable the amount of tragedy, turmoil, and just plain bad luck that has befallen WNY and our favorite team — and none of it self-inflicted.

The Bills have to feel mentally exhausted.  They’ve had to overcome so much, and now this.

I’m happy with their 3rd consecutive AFC East title and big wins in big moments.  Josh is “the guy” and will be for years to come, but the defense has been decimated by key injuries all season and when combined with the mental fatigue and trauma, I think it is just too much to overcome going forward.

I am proud of the team, the coaches, the fans, the community…proud to call myself a Buffalonian.

Go Bills.

I told my wife the same thing yesterday ,  

but if we somehow overcome this and achieve our goal that would be a story for the ages ! 

Yeah I just don't see things going well for the Bills here.  We're so used to movies where whoever plays with the most emotions comes out on top and the Bills players will certainly be more emotional than the other team...but a lot of those emotions aren't the kind that make you perform better in real life.  NFL teams excel when they play with swagger.  It's irrational but you need some of that feeling that you're immortal to rise to the top of a combat sport.  Watching a teammate take a regular everyday hit and then have his heart stop does the exact opposite.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

13 secs was self inflicted. McD & Frasier gave the Chiefs those 3 points by lining up the defense to far back . Put that one on coaching. 

The ONLY enemy there, was the ***** CLOCK! 

To not kick that ball short, burn 4 ticks and reduce the game to a one play Offense was abject HCing incompetence! 

Idon’t care who is fingered for the blame. The Buck ALWAYS stops at the HC, who should have, during the Davis victory celebrations or TV TO gone to his Kicker to give crystal clear, explicit instructions from 6 inches away… with the Special Teams Coach beside him!

You bet, it still burns me.

I hope this latest, most traumatic event, has brought everyone together to be of one mind of the only goal!

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

Yeah I just don't see things going well for the Bills here.  We're so used to movies where whoever plays with the most emotions comes out on top and the Bills players will certainly be more emotional than the other team...but a lot of those emotions aren't the kind that make you perform better in real life.  NFL teams excel when they play with swagger.  It's irrational but you need some of that feeling that you're immortal to rise to the top of a combat sport.  Watching a teammate take a regular everyday hit and then have his heart stop does the exact opposite.

If a playoff run does happen, Diggs will be a big part of "rallying the troops". He was the one player, that was clearly upset and worried, but was able to quickly "reset" when the players still thought the game might continue. Obviously you can't see everything from watching it on tv, but I didn't see that from anyone else.

• Like (+1) 4

12 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I am going to remember what you all said and quote it back to you in the game day threads! 😁

I agree. First bad play on Sunday, many posters in this thread will be jumping off their pedestals looking for the pitchforks, tar and feathers. 

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

If a playoff run does happen, Diggs will be a big part of "rallying the troops". He was the one player, that was clearly upset and worried, but was able to quickly "reset" when the players still thought the game might continue. Obviously you can't see everything from watching it on tv, but I didn't see that from anyone else.

As said early on the first 48 hours are crucial.  News today is that they are slowly having Damar breathing on his own.  I am jumping to no conclusions, but today will tell a lot I expect.  

A decision on the Cincy game or the NE game I will watch but has little consequence imo (as far as my thoughts on the Bills).

24 minutes ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

Anecdotally, it seems like NFL players as a group are able to compartmentalize things like we all do.  We've all seen lots of games where the ambulance had to come out for somebody, and within 10 minutes everybody is playing more or less normally.  It would be interesting to dig back through those games and see to what degree the team with the injured player under-performed going forward.  I don't think I've ever noticed an obvious pattern of teams dropping off, but of course my not noticing it doesn't mean that such a pattern isn't there. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.