(Perhaps) Unpopular Take: I have no expectations for the Bills going forward, and I’m ok with it.

eball

3 hours ago, eball said:

There’s another thread that lists out what the community of Buffalo and the Bills have dealt with over the past year…it’s almost unbelievable the amount of tragedy, turmoil, and just plain bad luck that has befallen WNY and our favorite team — and none of it self-inflicted.

The Bills have to feel mentally exhausted.  They’ve had to overcome so much, and now this.

I’m happy with their 3rd consecutive AFC East title and big wins in big moments.  Josh is “the guy” and will be for years to come, but the defense has been decimated by key injuries all season and when combined with the mental fatigue and trauma, I think it is just too much to overcome going forward.

I am proud of the team, the coaches, the fans, the community…proud to call myself a Buffalonian.

Go Bills.

On top of the grocery store shooting and the people who lost their lives in the recent snowstorm. Been a heavy year for Buffalo and the Bills. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I would be curious more about how the players and coaches feel. This is their family, but also their job. I have no idea what they must be thinking or feeling, especially with how focused they have been all year on the ultimate goal.  

Miyagi there is a youtube posted from Dion Dawkins speaking to his thoughts moving forward from last night . I found it very moving. Have you seen it?

• Thank you (+1) 1

Emotionally I am running on fumes for the team.  So much adversity not to mention all that is happening in the Buffalo area and the nation.  Life can be exhausting.   If they win It I will be happy.  Otherwise life goes on. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Seems like too much to overcome in one year. Honestly it felt that way even before Hamlin tragedy. Now I'm not sure how the team and the community recovers. Its cliché put sometimes adversity brings people even closer. Hope so.

The problem is the SuperBowl window can slam shut pretty quickly. In a few years we might be looking back at a start of a run of a few Lombardis or we could be looking back at 13 seconds when it all unraveled and spiraled downward

If things unravel now no one will be attributing it to 13 seconds.  The 13 seconds debacle was dealt with, starting with the Rams and continuing with beating KC.  The Bills showed they were SB contenders and went 12-3.  If things unravel from here it would clearly be attributed to this latest development - Hamlin.

I don't see that happening.  And their response to 13 seconds is part of the reason.  This is a resilient group.  Sure, the NE game is in jeopardy.  But by the time playoffs start, in two weeks, the mood can be dramatically different.

• Like (+1) 1

I feel like any further achievements at this point this year would be exceptional.  I am thankful to have Stefon Diggs on this roster - between trying to get the guys ready when it seemed like they might be expected to play, and deciding he wouldn't be stopped from visiting the Hospital after the game, he showed a fire last night that I think can keep this team afloat for at least a bit longer.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Hear me out...🧐

Hamlin died on the field trying to win this team a championship for his teammates, family, and our community. Now he is fighting for his life. Most people seem to be saying it’s fine to mail it in, I think that’s contrary to how this team has gelled as a family!

Do you let Damar go through that in vain? HELL NO!!! You go and bring home the bacon for Damar, for this team, for your family, for this community! I can’t see the captains and McD being stopped in this pursuit of not letting Damar down. 

I think once we hear the good news on Damar, that guarantees the Lombardi is going to be resting in Damar’s sweet arms so he can plant a nice juicy kiss on it!:wub:

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Johnnycage46 said:

Yeah, I think that would probably be the only way they get their competitive juices flowing again.  But as you said, who know how much they have left in the tank emotionally at this point.

It's staggering how many bad things have happened to both the community and the team. I like to think I'm a man of faith but there comes a point where you have to say ENOUGH. 

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

How are they cursed? Because Hamlin suffered a freak injury playing football?

It super unfortunate but people think we are “cursed” because this happened along with other coaching/player failures of the past? 

Ridiculous.

There is a good deal of moping being attributed to a guy who is fighting.    

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

I would FULLY support them if they bowed out the rest of the season and playoffs. 

no issue with them doing that if that became their decision. 

Not going to happen with this team.  They're built like the early 90's team as far as character and resiliency is concerned.  The culture the Bills have built since McDermott and subsequently Beane were hired will shine through this season.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Agree 1

Lost a best friend and team leader to an accident mid-season. Wasn't an on field accident, but was still a tragic and shock to our team. We had also lost our coach shortly before the season started to another tragedy that shocked and shook the community. We almost cancelled the season. We were very close. I'm glad we didn't. We bonded tightly together and ended up with a sectional championship. Not saying I think that this team should or shouldn't. But in a small way, I kind of feel their pain. And I'd get it, either way, however the season comes out. 

I really dont think this team is going to just pack it in.  If they arent right mentally and thats what they felt is best for them then I would stand by that all the way.  I just dont think they will.  I think they will get on the field and give it their all like they do every week.

7 hours ago, eball said:

There’s another thread that lists out what the community of Buffalo and the Bills have dealt with over the past year…it’s almost unbelievable the amount of tragedy, turmoil, and just plain bad luck that has befallen WNY and our favorite team — and none of it self-inflicted.

The Bills have to feel mentally exhausted.  They’ve had to overcome so much, and now this.

I’m happy with their 3rd consecutive AFC East title and big wins in big moments.  Josh is “the guy” and will be for years to come, but the defense has been decimated by key injuries all season and when combined with the mental fatigue and trauma, I think it is just too much to overcome going forward.

I am proud of the team, the coaches, the fans, the community…proud to call myself a Buffalonian.

Go Bills.

13 secs was self inflicted. McD & Frasier gave the Chiefs those 3 points by lining up the defense to far back . Put that one on coaching. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Now, if I were a more optimistic person, I'd say this is the part of the movie where the promising team with high hopes and aspirations have dealt with all the struggles and injuries and setbacks and blizzards and whatnot, you get to the point where you start to feel things are getting back on track, only to have the Damar Hamlin injury happen, and suddenly everything feels bleak, and you start to wonder if that was the one thing that finally broke them. But then Damar makes a miraculous recovery, enough to be on the sidelines for the first playoff game, everyone rallies around him, and with that added drive and motivation, they make it through the playoffs, reaching the Super Bowl, where the team is surprised to see Damar suit up, healthy and cleared to play, and he ends up making the game sealing interception to win the Super Bowl. 

It would be a story worthy of Hollywood. 

And considering the last two Super Bowl winners seemed to have a flare for the dramatic with Brady being traded then winning the SB, then Stafford being traded then winning the SB, it feels like reality should see the drama inherent to the above storyline and follow the script. 

But unfortunately this is the real world.

And we're just stuck hoping Damar will live, let alone be okay.

And all the hopes and dreams we've been carrying for months (years, decades) now, they seem less bright and shiny now, and a lot more meaningless when put in comparison. 

And my goal for the season has become a lot different:

I just want to see everyone get through it alive and okay. 

• Like (+1) 1

I’ll always be alright with the outcome of the season.  There isn’t anything we can do about it anyways when it’s over.  

I am a member of the military, and have been for 15 years.  I think I have a different perspective about this.  I’ve had to deal with loss in front of my very eyes.  In Dec 2020, I lost two of my friends and fellow members of my unit in a tragic accident.  3 months later, I lost one of my subordinates in a sudden illness.  He was fine during the day at work, and during the evening didn’t feel well called me up, and told him to go to the hospital.  He would never leave that hospital.  I’ve seen people die on my Aircraft after an attack while I was deployed in Iraq.

The one thing that has absolutely helped me and the rest of the personnel around me was the fact that we all stopped, paused, had counselors come and speak to us if we needed, and we took 1-2 days of downtime thanks to our leaders.  However, with that said, we still had a job to do.  Whether we were at home training, or deployed doing the mission.  The world will not stop.  I understand that the NFL isn’t the military, but it is an entertainment business and its goal is to make as much money as possible.  Them canceling the game last night was absolutely correct, but as insensitive as it sounds, they will have to move on.  There are 30 teams still needing to compete, and it’s unfair to them to stop everything after all they worked for.

I don’t think the Bills season should be over because of this tragedy.  At the end of the day, they still have a job to do.  Dion Dawkins said it tonight as well.  They understand they still have a job to do and they will eventually have to get back to work.  They can do one of two things.  This can affect them to where their performance will not be up to par, or they will rise above all this, play for Damar and become that juggernaut we seen the first few weeks of the season.  

The NFL will continue with the season and week 18 will go on.  In the grand scheme of things, losing on Sunday does not decide whether this team reaches their preseason goals or not.  Sitting around waiting on Damar won’t help him get better.

What will help is the constant prayers, positive vibes, and love for him and his family.  Being there for him and his family is important.  If there are players (Like Dane Jackson) that absolutely cannot play because of this, then give them the time they need and be there for them.  Whether it’s a few days or a few months.  However, as a team, give them a few days and you have to get some normalcy back to everybody, and that means get to work.  Game-planning, practicing, meetings, all that.  I’m not trying to speak for Damar, but if this team fights on for him and does what they set out to do, if Damar recovers from this, I’d like to think he’d be proud.  

I know some people will call me insensitive, but that isn’t my intent.  Like I said, I’ve had to deal with co-workers/friends die in front of me, or even get seriously injured, so I have similar experiences, and I felt I could share that to those who haven’t had something like this happen to them.  I really do believe a football team and a military unit are absolutely similar in a sense of being a family and caring for each other.  You don’t get this kind of bond in a corporate setting.  

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This team has been through a lot. The Topps shooting a few months before the season started. Knox lost his extremely young brother right before the season started. In the home opener a player got carted off the field in a scary collision. 

Then the team has to get a game relocated due to extreme weather conditions while being hit with a illness outbreak. Then the Bills have another extreme weather event that kills 40 in the community and caused serious travel issues for the team on Christmas. 

Then the team is dealing with the Hamlin situation. Just a lot

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.