(Perhaps) Unpopular Take: I have no expectations for the Bills going forward, and I’m ok with it.

eball

I'll be honest that I don't have much desire to watch football for quite awhile.  Not sure I want to watch them play this weekend.  But if the team rallies and calls on us fans for support so they can do something special in honor of Damar, I'll be right there screaming my lungs out on the weekend.

• Like (+1) 14
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, eball said:

There’s another thread that lists out what the community of Buffalo and the Bills have dealt with over the past year…it’s almost unbelievable the amount of tragedy, turmoil, and just plain bad luck that has befallen WNY and our favorite team — and none of it self-inflicted.

The Bills have to feel mentally exhausted.  They’ve had to overcome so much, and now this.

I’m happy with their 3rd consecutive AFC East title and big wins in big moments.  Josh is “the guy” and will be for years to come, but the defense has been decimated by key injuries all season and when combined with the mental fatigue and trauma, I think it is just too much to overcome going forward.

I am proud of the team, the coaches, the fans, the community…proud to call myself a Buffalonian.

Go Bills.

That's kind of where I am at.  Had the injury not occurred last night and the Bills lost, I would be really bummed and worried about the playoffs, seeding, etc.  But now it wouldn't surprise me if the Bills season were for all intents and purposes over at this point.  It's been that kind of season with crazy amounts of injuries, weather disruptions, and now Hamlin's terrible injury.

I think things can go one of two ways...one, the team bands together and puts their best foot forward and who knows what will happen.  Or, they just don't have it mentally and it's pretty much over at this point.

Don't blame them at all if the 2nd scenario plays out.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 3

Not that it matters in the least as everything is so uncertain and focus is rightfully so on #3 but it might depend on prognosis of Damar. With that being said if we lose next week and out after one game in playoffs, I wouldn’t be upset or disappointed.  These dudes are freak athletes but at the end of the day still humans. They have certainly been through the wringer this year. Go Bills. Go Damar. 

• Like (+1) 4

I honestly don’t know how they are gonna play this game against the patriots. I wouldnt expect to hear an update about Damar until this Thursday at the earliest. I mean, I hope this doesn’t happen, but the bills could be going to a funeral on Saturday, Lord willing. Hopefully it doesn’t come to that, but there has to be so much going through their minds. 

It’s just a game. However, they need to compartmentalize to the best of their abilities if they want to keep the train on the tracks, which I’m sure they do. Some people think differently and grieve differently than others and can quickly put things behind them. Based on the game last night, Stefon looks like one of those people. 

there is no right choice. But at the same time, the world goes on. The Bills need to figure out, quickly, if they are ready to move on with it 

Edited by VaMilBill
  • Like (+1) 2

I was thinking similar.  So invested in the Bills all year and yes it was Superbowl or bust and you could see that in my Threads and comments.  

But now if they don't get there, it will just be and I will have been emotionally spent.  

Seems fate has conspired against the Bills.

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Like (+1) 1

There's an element in the air that just doesn't want Buffalo to succeed this season. With this game likely being a "no contest" we'll lose the #1 seed to KC.  Hope they don't reschedule the Cincy game and as some have suggested let's just rest starters v NE.  We still have a ton of players injured. With all the crap and bad luck this team has endured, they have to be physically and emotionally exhausted. 

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

That's kind of where I am at.  Had the injury not occurred last night and the Bills lost, I would be really bummed and worried about the playoffs, seeding, etc.  But now it wouldn't surprise me if the Bills season were for all intents and purposes over at this point.  It's been that kind of season with crazy amounts of injuries, weather disruptions, and now Hamlin's terrible injury.

I think things can go one of two ways...one, the team bands together and puts their best foot forward and who knows what will happen.  Or, they just don't have it mentally and it's pretty much over at this point.

Don't blame them at all if the 2nd scenario plays out.

I will say if they get some good or encouraging news regarding Damar's condition, you'll see a fire from these guys. Rally around #3.  I just don't know how much they have left in the tank with all the insanity that's happened this season.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

This season was already in rough shape and injuries to key players like Hyde and Miller, the Miami game heat fiasco, the blizzard, combined with Josh's own injuries and struggles have had me feeling uneasy most of the season. I went into the year hyped for a SB run and then it just started to seem less and less likely as the season went on, despite us winning so many games. I don't want to count them out, but I'd honestly be floored if they have what it takes to go the distance at this point.

I really hope they can find a way, because these opportunities don't just come around every year, but I'm not betting on it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Seems like too much to overcome in one year. Honestly it felt that way even before Hamlin tragedy. Now I'm not sure how the team and the community recovers. Its cliché put sometimes adversity brings people even closer. Hope so.

The problem is the SuperBowl window can slam shut pretty quickly. In a few years we might be looking back at a start of a run of a few Lombardis or we could be looking back at 13 seconds when it all unraveled and spiraled downward. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just throwing it out there but I’ve read so many say how the Bills should rest their starters next week …but what does this say about the non-starters? Are they somehow less impacted, or more apt to play with the fire everyone knows is required to truly compete in the NFL? I understand the strategic implications but it’s a tough call for everyone involved. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

eball - I couldn't agree more. 

Moreover, I'm exhausted.  Am I prepared for the continuing emotional drain of a game against the Patriots, and then the playoffs.   I want to stand with my team, but to be honest, the way I feel right now, I'd welcome the Bills shutting down the season and regrouping for 2023.  

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I will say if they get some good or encouraging news regarding Damar's condition, you'll see a fire from these guys. Rally around #3.  I just don't know how much they have left in the tank with all the insanity that's happened this season.

Yeah, I think that would probably be the only way they get their competitive juices flowing again.  But as you said, who know how much they have left in the tank emotionally at this point.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.