How do you feel as a parent about your child playing football?

Royale with Cheese

My son played football in middle school. When he got to high school, scheduling issues forced him to decide if he wanted to continue with football or his other extracurricular activity, band. In football, he had always been in the middle of the pack, while he was really good with the tuba in band. Thus, he decided to go on with band, and he never regretted it. Band gave him just as much exercise (especially if you have to haul around a tuba) and camaraderie as football. He continued in college and played for four years in the Longhorn Band at UT, until his recent graduation. Interestingly, UT has more kids in the band (about 400) than on the football team.

Edited by DrW

15 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

My son was smaller than average until he was probably a senior in high school.  He's bigger than average now, but he never had interest in playing.  He did try wrestling.  He got slammed to the mat a few times, and as a result, his knees were messed up for years.  On balance, I think what he got out of wrestling in terms of self-respect and the respect of his teammates for trying something, that was a real challenge for him, outweighed the physical price he paid.  I think the same is true for many participants in football.

I was that kid - too small (and slow) to be successful in high school at virtually any sport, including even baseball which I loved the most.  But I did play hockey for a time - no cuts on our HS team back in the early 80s (it’s different now of course) and although I absolutely got my ass kicked in practice and never played, it did a lot for my self-confidence, earned me respect from teammates, and changed the trajectory of my high school career. I don’t regret it for a second. I saw football do the same for others. Bottom line, it’s important to learn how to be a part of a team and to contribute in whatever way you can. 

• Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, Beast said:

So, it’s OK to watch others play and put themselves at risk for your own entertainment? I take you enjoy watching football?

Everyone can make their own decisions (including the professional players that decide to play for my enjoyment) - Just because I won't let my son play doesn't mean others will make the same decision (and it's obviously their decision).  And some posters talk about risk and infer that not letting a child play football somehow suggests that they don't take any risks at all or something to that effect (hey, you can get killed crossing the street, right?).  For me at least, it's deciding which risks are acceptable and which aren't.  I play poker and downhill ski on some steep, "crazy" stuff, so maybe I'm a hypocrite but I am willing to take risks.  

• Like (+1) 1

I would have concerns about my son playing football, but I don't think this event really changes that one way or another, although it is certainly something that will live with all of us forever.

This is a freak/fluke accident than can happen in basically any sport. Lacrosse, Hockey, Baseball, you could even have a basketball player lower his shoulder and cause this. I don't know that this is a football-specific injury.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, TheWei44 said:

Everyone can make their own decisions (including the professional players that decide to play for my enjoyment) - Just because I won't let my son play doesn't mean others will make the same decision (and it's obviously their decision).  And some posters talk about risk and infer that not letting a child play football somehow suggests that they don't take any risks at all or something to that effect (hey, you can get killed crossing the street, right?).  For me at least, it's deciding which risks are acceptable and which aren't.  I play poker and downhill ski on some steep, "crazy" stuff, so maybe I'm a hypocrite but I am willing to take risks.  

Listen, I don’t blame you. I just wondered what you thought about being entertained by humans playing a sport that you wouldn’t let your child play. I like to play devil’s advocate.

Edited by Beast

18 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

The thought of my son wanting to play still doesn’t bother me 

You can get hit with a line drive in baseball and die

Yeah, this injury is not one that should stop people from playing football.  Head injuries perhaps, but this is a totally freak accident that almost never (if ever before) has happened in football.  

I think we will see football pads adopt the lacrosse style pad that is intended to prevent these injuries in the future.  

2 minutes ago, Beast said:

Listen, I don’t blame you. I just wondered what you thought about being entertained by humans playing a sport that you wouldn’t let your child play. I like to play devil’s advocate.

Fair question - I considered not watching football anymore several years ago but realized I couldn't shake my decades of fanhood.

• Like (+1) 1

I would happily support it, if our children wanted to play football.   

There are risks in any sport, or really, anything that involves doing something other than sitting on your couch, which is also a risk if overdone. 

I assume a main reason for the question is Hamlin's cardiac arrest on the field. What happened to Hamlin was terrible, but we also don't know exactly why it happened. It could simply be a freak accident that could occur in any sport where 2 people crash into each other, which is every sport out there (although more often in football, obviously). Sadly, cardiac events do (very, very rarely) happen in youth and collegiate sports, just not usually to professional athletes on national TV.      

More often, they happen to non-athletes who are known only by their friends and family so it's not a story. The main thread is sadly full of stories like that. 

When it comes to concussions, I do believe that this generation of players will have much better outcomes. Most of us who grew up in the 80's remember how barbaric the game really was. Go back and watch old highlights of defense in the 70's and 80's. It's like watching a different sport. There are no more Steve Atwaters launching themselves like ballistic missiles at guys and TKOing them on the field. That's a great thing. And it must have a positive impact on today's players' long-term health. 

There is plenty more work to do. I have said it multiple times, but it bugs me to see NFL players dive on top of guys who are on the ground, rather than a simple touch down by contact. Those are unnecessary collisions, and getting rid of that takes away nothing from the game. There are still plenty of low hanging fruit like that for football to clean up. 

• Like (+1) 1

I would’ve supported my son if he wanted to play football. Instead he skied/boarded, swam, played in concert band and is now on an eSports team in college. He has a ton of musical and artistic talent, but did not want to commit the time and effort into those - and as a parent you can’t force that and expect a good outcome.

My daughter is a HS senior and has played premier soccer for her whole life. She’s dealt with concussions and other injuries from that and skiing, but seems in great physical shape now. She has chosen not to play in college, but I think it was great for her overall. 

No sport or activity my kids have been involved with has been as concerning to me regarding their safety and wellbeing as them driving at night in the rain or snow - something they’ve both done numerous times for work. 

8 hours ago, Dr.Mantis_Toboggan said:

I don’t think a child is capable of fully understanding the long term risks associated with CTE from repeated head trauma.

We know is the brain is still developing through those highschool and college years. I realize it’s going to be an unpopular opinion, but I think eventually common sense prevails and high school tackle football becomes a thing of the past, atleast in some areas.  To continue subjecting minors to repeated head trauma with the information we have about brain injury and it’s lasting effects, and knowing their brains aren’t fully developed seems irresponsible to me.  It likely will become a state by state issue with some states banning it, and others with long standing traditions of highschool football putting tradition ahead of common sense and the long term safety of their children.

It’s our job to set them up for the best future possible, and putting them at increased risk of developing dementia seems very counter intuitive to that long term goal. Call it over protective but there is simply no fate worse than that of suffering from dementia, and I can’t sign off willingly increasing my kids chances of one day being damned to that existence because football...  I don’t judge anybody for having a different opinion, I love the game, but hate the brutality.  

It’s important to note that you would have to ban nearly all sports. CTE has been seen in Football, Hockey, Soccer, Rugby, Baseball, Basketball, and MMA.

You would essentially be removing sports from children's lives.

5 hours ago, DrW said:

Band gave him just as much exercise as football. 

Come on…. You didn’t really type that with a straight face :)

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I can’t imagine that small, thin amount of padding would protect much of anything unfortunately. I’ve seen those type of shirts at ***** and you can compress the padding with 2 fingers.

• Like (+1) 1

My son is the third generation of my family to play football.   I've played or coached for the last 35 years.   

Neither my son or I have been injured playing football.  My father required shoulder surgery after a high school football game when he was growing up.

I did however take a comebacker to the face pitching in high school breaking both my orbital bone and giving me a concussion.  Very lucky it wasn't worse.

My immediate reaction to Damar's injury is that neither of my boys will play football again.  After letting the initial emotion subside, and thinking about what I wrote above. I realize freak accidents happen im every sport and in every day life.   His exact injury happens in baseball, lacrosse, and hockey.  People die in car accidents daily.  Should I never drive my car again? 

Its likely my kids will get hurt whether its in football or not, but I can't live in fear of that.

Edited by thenorthremembers

My son tried multiple sports as a youngster.  He was/is a fantastic kid/young man ... but an athlete, he is not.

He played football in 7th grade.  When 8th grade rolled around, he went to the first team meeting.  That evening, he told me that he really wasn't into it and wasn't sure he wanted to play.

I told him that playing a sport when your heart really isn't in it is how people get hurt.  I said if your heart's not in it, then you owe it to yourself, the coaches and the team to step away.

The next morning, he sought out the coach in school and had the discussion with him, which ended with him thanking the coach for the opportunity and shaking his hand.  

I was proud of him for speaking up and thankful that he felt comfortable in doing so.

I know that we ALL know "those parents," who force their kids to play sports.  They're usually dads who sucked at sports when they were younger and want to live vicariously through their children.

I was lucky that I had parents who let us find our own passions and supported us when we found them.

Anyway, I'm glad my son didn't continue to play football, primarily because I feared injury.  There are still too many coaches out there who tell kids to "shake it off," or "walk it off."  

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Gugny said:

My son tried multiple sports as a youngster.  He was/is a fantastic kid/young man ... but an athlete, he is not.

He played football in 7th grade.  When 8th grade rolled around, he went to the first team meeting.  That evening, he told me that he really wasn't into it and wasn't sure he wanted to play.

I told him that playing a sport when your heart really isn't in it is how people get hurt.  I said if your heart's not in it, then you owe it to yourself, the coaches and the team to step away.

The next morning, he sought out the coach in school and had the discussion with him, which ended with him thanking the coach for the opportunity and shaking his hand.  

I was proud of him for speaking up and thankful that he felt comfortable in doing so.

I know that we ALL know "those parents," who force their kids to play sports.  They're usually dads who sucked at sports when they were younger and want to live vicariously through their children.

I was lucky that I had parents who let us find our own passions and supported us when we found them.

Anyway, I'm glad my son didn't continue to play football, primarily because I feared injury.  There are still too many coaches out there who tell kids to "shake it off," or "walk it off."  

i have some staff that have gotten their kids into wrestling, and holy smokes some of those dads seem far too intense.  i've heard stories of guys making their kids run laps, practice after practice, and have mats in their homes for extended practice.  mind you we're talking about 5-6 year olds.  multiple stories of monitoring what these kids eat to keep weight down, etc.  i have no idea what's in it for the dads.  i've never met a grate high school athlete and thought, "wow, that dad is impressive". 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.