Official: (Bengals) Game will not be resumed this week UPDATE: OFFICIALLY CANCELLED

Process

It would seem to me the easiest (easiest maybe not best) solution for  the league regarding playoff seeding  is to determine a winner/loser from Monday night. They can call it a no contest in the record books.  But they need to figure out a winner for playoff matchups. 

Coin flip, rock paper scissors, pick a number, etc.  just  have the 2 teams agree to it and go. This way... no other teams are involved, its quick, and you can resume the playoffs on time.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Humane227 said:

Someone said it earlier and they’re right - the health of Hamlin is biggest concern.

I do not know what the league will opt to do regarding rescheduling the game or playoff seeding. There seem to be very few good choices, and no matter what is decided some teams will feel the decision unfairly impacts them and their playoff odds.

What I do believe is that the league MUST announce how they plan to handle the currently postponed Bills/Bengals game and playoff seeding prior to Saturday. If they do not then seemingly half the AFC would be unsure if their games mattered or not.

I believe the NFL will wait either as long as possible or until there is some POSITIVE news regarding Hamlin’s health status to announce anything. They don’t want to appear callous.

The only team the bold applies to is the Ravens. Regardless of who won the bills/bengals game, Chiefs still need a win to secure 1/2 seed. (Bengals win, chiefs just need a win for 1 seed, bills win, Chiefs need a win for 2 seed or win and bills loss for 2 seed)The Bengals-ravens game only matters if bills beat the bengals, but that is the only game where the outcome of bills/bengals could make it meaningless.

I feel the Bills-Bengals game should be a no-contest simply because that was what it was.  Circumstances beyond either team's control caused the game to end in the 1st quarter.  Neither team earned a win or loss.

The playoffs should be determined by win-loss percentage as normal (with the Bills and Bengals having each played only 16 games). 

There's nothing random about this.  Each team will be evaluated against the record they truly earned.  

• Like (+1) 4

8 minutes ago, Watkins101 said:

The only team the bold applies to is the Ravens. Regardless of who won the bills/bengals game, Chiefs still need a win to secure 1/2 seed. (Bengals win, chiefs just need a win for 1 seed, bills win, Chiefs need a win for 2 seed or win and bills loss for 2 seed)The Bengals-ravens game only matters if bills beat the bengals, but that is the only game where the outcome of bills/bengals could make it meaningless.

Yes and no. It all depends on the plan.

If the decision is the Bills/Bengals game is replayed in week 19 then suddenly everyone else has a bye.

If the decision is to expand the playoffs to 8 teams per conference (believe that was the COVID plan), then additional teams may now be in the hunt.

It does not seem to me (and I’m no expert by any means) that any scenario does not have larger reaching implications. Hence why I think the NFL has to announce how they plan to handle this by Saturday.

I like the idea of scrapping all results from week 16, thus giving every team a 16 game schedule. Something Albright has also said is on the table. Don’t know how this works in regards to stat keeping though, can’t imagine players would be happy.

Edited by JayBaller10

11 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

Give Cincy the W and play out the last week. Bills have the 3 seed locked up. Just move on. It’s not that important anymore.  

I like the idea of giving Cincy the W, and just consider week 17 a bye week of sorts for the Bills. They already lost Hamlin and Taron Johnson in the game so maybe for the best that they just take the L and move on. Unfortunately it gives the Chiefs a wildcard bye which obviously sucks, gotta hate that.

1 minute ago, CapeBreton said:

I like the idea of giving Cincy the W, and just consider week 17 a bye week of sorts for the Bills. They already lost Hamlin and Taron Johnson in the game so maybe for the best that they just take the L and move on. Unfortunately it gives the Chiefs a wildcard bye which obviously sucks, gotta hate that.

Eh, our Super Bowl will be Damar walking out of the UC hospital. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I feel the Bills-Bengals game should be a no-contest simply because that was what it was.  Circumstances beyond either team's control caused the game to end in the 1st quarter.  Neither team earned a win or loss.

The playoffs should be determined by win-loss percentage as normal (with the Bills and Bengals having each played only 16 games). 

There's nothing random about this.  Each team will be evaluated against the record they truly earned.  

Thats a bit how I see it.   Separate the 2.   The game was a no contest, it goes in the books as such.  No need to replay it in any fashion.  End of discussion. 

But then you do have to figure out the playoff seedlings.  Win percentage is one way and perfectly acceptable.  But you do have to het KC and Baltimore (i think that is all) to agree to that.  Or in my mind you do.  A coin flip also does the same but it just involves the Bengals and Bills to determine the “winner” for seeding purposes. 

43 minutes ago, Dan said:

Thats a bit how I see it.   Separate the 2.   The game was a no contest, it goes in the books as such.  No need to replay it in any fashion.  End of discussion. 

But then you do have to figure out the playoff seedlings.  Win percentage is one way and perfectly acceptable.  But you do have to het KC and Baltimore (i think that is all) to agree to that.  Or in my mind you do.  A coin flip also does the same but it just involves the Bengals and Bills to determine the “winner” for seeding purposes. 

The NFL doesn’t have to get KC and Baltimore to agree to anything. The decision for playoff seeding will be up to the NFL, they won’t consult KC or Baltimore at all.

2 minutes ago, Motor26 said:

The NFL doesn’t have to get KC and Baltimore to agree to anything. The decision for playoff seeding will be up to the NFL, they won’t consult KC or Baltimore at all.

The odds of them making this decision without consulting KC/BALT is approximately zero.  Those teams absolutely have a valid right to provide input on this decision.  They may not get their way (somebody is going to be stuck with an outcome they perceive as unfair), but they're just as much a party to this as our team is.

3 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I would hope if they actually do use a random number generator to do this, our game against them would not be eligible to change

i would think because of tie breaker scenarios it would not be put into play.

1 hour ago, Bruffalo said:

Each team gets one player from the offense and one player from the defense, 2v2, all madden difficulty. 

screw that. i say oklahoma drill for the 1 seed.

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

it's bull#### to give the chiefs home field advantage when both teams beat them and one of them would shirely be ahead of them.

55 minutes ago, Dan said:

i think the nfl is running around crazy now to figure out something to do on like thursday night to do a media event of a coin flip or prime time announcement.

they are too big on seeking attention and marketing to just release a statement.

3 minutes ago, boyst said:

i think the nfl is running around crazy now to figure out something to do on like thursday night to do a media event of a coin flip or prime time announcement.

they are too big on seeking attention and marketing to just release a statement.

They may want to wait until after week 18.  If they do something now, it will effect how multiple games are played.

Bengals would already have won their division with a "No contest" or Win

I still say Coin Flip, best of 3 is fair 

Edited by Warriorspikes51

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

They may want to wait until after week 18.  If they do something now, it will effect how multiple games are played.

Bengals would already have won their division with a "No contest" or Win

if they don't do it ahead of the games then you give TERRIBLE optics on favoritism. 

they can discuss it as an owners group - and they should all agree - and tell the teams without unveiling it - but there must be something set in stone.

3 minutes ago, boyst said:

Agreed.    And at the same time... waiting to see what unfolds with Damar.  If they said anything now, its rushed and callous.   The league protects the shield. 

1 minute ago, boyst said:

if they don't do it ahead of the games then you give TERRIBLE optics on favoritism. 

they can discuss it as an owners group - and they should all agree - and tell the teams without unveiling it - but there must be something set in stone.

There will be no solution that all 32 owners will agree on. Goodell and the NFL need to make a decision and go with it. I don’t really care if it negatively affects the Bills at this point, but they need to make some sort of decision sooner than later.

1 minute ago, boyst said:

They may want to see how much the result of the Bills Bengals game will impact the Ravens and Chiefs first before deciding whether to play the game / how to determine an outcome

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.