Playoff Solutions Assuming they don’t replay the Bengals game.

Locomark

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

There is no good option. I think that is the least bad. Moving everything else around to fit this game into a stand alone week 19 is worse IMO.

Yeah there’s no chance of that happening at this stage of the game. I’d be floored if it’s ends up being anything else than Bills & Bengals play 16 games and go off winning percentage 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo Ballin said:

We already brought up the coin flip deep in this thread.

One poster said that this is a multi billion dollar sport so a coin flip isn't suitable to determine this. (My thought: The money is irrelevant since this about using time wisely because we don't have a lot of time).

Another poster didn't want us doing the coin flip because we have bad luck there.

We can use ping pong balls, like the NBA Draft, in some way.

I'm all for the coin flip. Best out of 3. It's fair and neutral. It really doesn't upset anything.

My response to this argument would be... guess what the NFL uses as the very last tiebreaker to determine who goes to the playoffs in the event of a tie between two or three teams -- A coin flip! 

Sure, its not football, but it is fair.  And yes doesnt have to be a coin flip but some kind of lottery with odds around 50%. I even suggested going by the odds at the time the game ended, i.e. 55 balls for Bengals, 44 balls for Bills, and 1 ball for a tie. This is so much better than just having the nfl to hurt the two teams involved. no one could argue they were screwed. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

Yeah there’s no chance of that happening at this stage of the game. I’d be floored if it’s ends up being anything else than Bills & Bengals play 16 games and go off winning percentage 

It sounds, from Sheffter, that an idea may be gaining traction on giving the highest W% the choice of a bye or homefield. And, of course the remaining #2 W% would get the other unchosen option. Not bad

The likeliest outcome, that many of us thought from Tuesday morning is that the game will not be made up.  If this happened in weeks 1-14 they may have found a way, but they are up against the end of season.

It sucks but the Bills are probably going to be the team that has to take a negative outcome on top of already dealing with Damar's awful situation.  But that's life and we all know everything is not always fair.

1) KC will get the #1 seed if they beat the Raiders (I still think LV is going to ball out and have a chance here).

2) Buf will get the #2 seed if they beat NE, and could get #1 seed if they win and KC loses.

3) Cinci - The Ravens have no shot at the AFC North now.  Bengals get the Division title.  Cinci can still move up the seeding if KC and/or Buf loses.   

• Agree 2

14 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

It sounds, from Sheffter, that an idea may be gaining traction on giving the highest W% the choice of a bye or homefield. And, of course the remaining #2 W% would get the other unchosen option. Not bad

now that is interesting. Im assuming that would mean if KC chooses #1, then week 2 of playoffs would be 1v4 and 2v3 (assuming all favorites win WC weekend) still?

But if 2nd seed wins then they would host AFC Championship game? And if no

I think youd have to lean bye in that scenario and hope the 2 seed loses one of the 1st two games

20 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

That's interesting. You would take the bye 10 times out of 10 I would think. That's a guaranteed win. 

24 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Where did you hear this, was Adam S just talking about it?

I had mentioned the idea yesterday

Assuming KC wins Saturday, they get the choice of Bye or Home Field and may make their choice based on the 7 seed opponent 

15 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Where did you hear this, was Adam S just talking about it?

I had mentioned the idea yesterday

Assuming KC wins Saturday, they get the choice of Bye or Home Field and may make their choice based on the 7 seed opponent 

Yeah heard him on the radio on way to work-good call!

Edited by D. L. Hot-Flamethrower
  • Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, zow2 said:

The likeliest outcome, that many of us thought from Tuesday morning is that the game will not be made up.  If this happened in weeks 1-14 they may have found a way, but they are up against the end of season.

It sucks but the Bills are probably going to be the team that has to take a negative outcome on top of already dealing with Damar's awful situation.  But that's life and we all know everything is not always fair.

1) KC will get the #1 seed if they beat the Raiders (I still think LV is going to ball out and have a chance here).

2) Buf will get the #2 seed if they beat NE, and could get #1 seed if they win and KC loses.

3) Cinci - The Ravens have no shot at the AFC North now.  Bengals get the Division title.  Cinci can still move up the seeding if KC and/or Buf loses.   

Cincy gets just as great a negative outcome as Buffalo, because let's face it, very real chance the Bills were going to lose to the Bengals the other night. So now instead of the Bills / Bengals divisional round rematch being in Cincinatti, it will be in Buffalo.

Only other thing that crosses my mind in this likely scenario the NFL will go with is that this means the Bills host the Dolphins in the wild card round. I would think this would be less desirable then playing the Patriots or Ravens in the wild card. The Bills do have the power to eliminate the Dolphins from the playoffs this weekend. 

That said, if Tua is not playing this week for the Dolphins then I'm not so sure they beat the Jets anyway. 

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Maybe. Depends how important assuring Home Field for the title game is

I assume the NFL would have to lay it all out before this weekend's games. Just our luck, we would go with this and then the Raiders would beat the Chiefs anyway and the Bills would travel to KC or Cincinnati for the conference championship game.

Edited by Sammy Watkins' Rib

League needs to avoid this scenario: Game is declared no contest, we're going by W%, then on Sat. KC wins.

Standings then:

KC 14-3

BUF 12-3

CIN 11-4

No incentive for BUF, who is playing a team NE battling for playoffs, other teams including MIA,PITT,Jax? are impacted in a negative competitive manner.

Adding the choice of Bye or Home Field is a way of balancing the scales between 1 and 2. Bills would be interested in staying ahead of CIN. Also would give CIN an opportunity for 1 or 2 given they win and BIlls lose.

NOTE: Cin owns the tiebreaker over us from what I've seen (SOV)

• Agree 2

11 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

League needs to avoid this scenario: Game is declared no contest, we're going by W%, then on Sat. KC wins.

Standings then:

KC 14-3

BUF 12-3

CIN 11-4

No incentive for BUF, who is playing a team NE battling for playoffs, other teams including MIA,PITT,Jax? are impacted in a negative competitive manner.

Adding the choice of Bye or Home Field is a way of balancing the scales between 1 and 2. Bills would be interested in staying ahead of CIN. Also would give CIN an opportunity for 1 or 2 given they win and BIlls lose.

NOTE: Cin owns the tiebreaker over us from what I've seen (SOV)

Still incentive in this scenario, the Bills and Bengals are still battling for the 2 seed. If Buffalo loses to the Patriots, say because they feel it's not worth playing their starters in that game then the Bengals can leap the Bills for the 2 spot do to i believe the common opponents or SOV tie breaker as you point out.

The incentive is basically do you want to play the Bills vs. Bengals divisional round rematch on your home field or away?

9 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Since KC hasn't played a road playoff game in the last 4 years and has hosted 4 consecutive AFC Championship games....

I could see them electing home field instead of the bye

I would prefer the Bye 

I guess it would help to know who you would be playing in the wild card. If it is the Patriots I would 100% elect to play in the wild card and take homefield. Any other team in contention, then give me the bye and guaranteed win.

Edited by Sammy Watkins' Rib

I don't care as long as they don't try and resume the game or start fiddling with the playoff schedule.

If the Bills come 3rd so be it.  As said prior to the Cincy game it was always SB or bust, now it is about Hamlin recovering and anything else I'll be okay with.

I also think 1 week to prep for the SB, no where near enough considering the logistics and just how big it is and the demands on everyone.  

• Like (+1) 1

I can't see NFL declaring the game a tie or no contest and potentially giving the Bills game zero meaning on Sunday

I can see following scenario's

Bengals-Ravens - Your game is for the division (destiny in both hands this Sunday)

Bills-Patriots - Bills win and you get #1 Seed

Chiefs-Raiders - Chiefs win and Bills lose, you get #1 seed

Bengals get #1 seed if both Chiefs and Bills lose

Bengals get #2 seed if Chiefs lose and they win

(Chiefs may argue, we are getting short end of the stick, easily can be answered with you went 0-2 against them)

It's creates a bunch of must win type scenarios for these teams and extra scenarios to be discussed as TV fodder

WIN-WIN for NFL Brand

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Yes, this is the likeliest outcome as of what I am reading.  

10 hours ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

Who did? Taylor came out today and said that McDermott told him he needed to be at the hospital with Hamlin rather than coach. A courageous and admirable decision, but other teams can't be disadvantaged because of it.

Do you seriously expect them to carry on after they saw their teammate need CPR to resuscitate him? This applies to any workplace environment. The Bills should not be penalized for this unfortunate incident.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Still incentive in this scenario, the Bills and Bengals are still battling for the 2 seed. If Buffalo loses to the Patriots, say because they feel it's not worth playing their starters in that game then the Bengals can leap the Bills for the 2 spot do to i believe the common opponents or SOV tie breaker as you point out.

The incentive is basically do you want to play the Bills vs. Bengals divisional round rematch on your home field or away?

Agree. You essentially if all things hold true are playing Bengals and Chiefs on the road.

Or guaranteed two home games, and a chance at the AFC Championship being hosted in Buffalo if Kc slips in their first game. So incentive to win Sunday from strictly a  football standpoint. 

I have no idea how they will treat this. Damar is first and foremost on the mind. Not every coach player will be the same. Burrow wants to play because he says that’s what he needs  and others don’t.

We really just don’t know where their mental state is at and can’t really speculate  about Sunday. I won’t fault them for whatever they decide or who plays and who doesn’t. 

Honestly at whatever point this season ends, it  will probably just feel like a relief and being proud of what the team accomplished this season through the face of adversity at every turn. 

Edited by loveorhatembillsfan4life

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.