Playoff Solutions Assuming they don’t replay the Bengals game.

Locomark

3 minutes ago, Airseven said:

The easiest solution isn't the proper solution. The game should be finished for the sake of competitive integrity. The season still matters. At this point, several reasonable scenarios have been offered to get it played in the next two weeks.

Reasonable? There's nothing reasonable about the Bills or Bengals having to play a team coming off a bye. 

5 minutes ago, zow2 said:

The fairest thing to do is give Kansas City the week off and let the Raiders go into their off-season. Then if Cincinnati wins and Buffalo loses, use strength of victory to seed the teams 🙂

Not a bad idea but that potentially gives the chiefs the 2 week bye that everyone is complaining about. Unless we have strength of victory tie breaker? Then it still gives Chiefs a bye week before wild card weekend which everyone is up in arms about.

Edit: Oh that also potentially leaves the AFC North division winner undecided.

Edited by What a Tuel

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

How is that? If the Bills beat the Bengals in Week 19, then the Chiefs don't get a first round bye and have to come to Buffalo for the Championship Game.

If the Bengals beat the Bills, and the Chiefs beat the Broncos then the Chiefs don't play until Jan 29th. I don't have a problem with that but some people do. I think it could actually be a handicap to them.

Just now, What a Tuel said:

If the Bengals beat the Bills, and the Chiefs beat the Broncos then the Chiefs don't play until Jan 29th. I don't have a problem with that but some people do. I think it could actually be a handicap to them.

I've been saying this all day long. I couldn't care less what other teams are doing. I want my Buffalo Bills to win the Super Bowl. No asterisk, and no special privileges. The easiest way that's going to happen is for the playoffs to go through Orchard Park. Maybe even more so now with the emotion of the home crowd behind them. And the only way it's going to go through Orchard Park is if they beat both the NE and Cincinnati. (KC is not losing to the Raiders.)  Let's win this thing! 

1 hour ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Q. What have we learned in 57 pages of discussion here?

A. No solution is perfect. In fact there are big problems with every proposal. 

In hindsight, the NFL should have had a rule for dealing with game cancellations that can’t be made up (based on league determination). No, we fortunately haven’t seen this particular situation before. But let’s say 9/11 had happened on 1/1 and the Jets/Giants couldn’t play and the game couldn’t be moved before the playoffs. Or that some Storm of the Century shut down Week 18 from Chicago to Boston. Or that 90% of some team tested positive for COVID ahead of Week 18. People don’t react well to after-the-fact fixes. They don’t mind if the plan was in place and known to all teams ahead of the event. 

I say no contest/coin flip if two teams are tied in the loss column after Week 18 concludes. We can create all kinds of fancy fixes that won’t satisfy people anyway. The Bills didn’t “forfeit”; the league canceled the game. For all I know  the “atmospheric river” crossing California may inundate Las Vegas on Sunday and cause the Chiefs game to be canceled. The fix for a random occurrence altering an expected scenario is usually a random method for assigning a winner. Coin flip and be done with it. 

The thing that's irritating about this is that it's completely predictable to the point of total certainty that something like this would happen eventually.  For the life of me, I do not understand why the NFL is so consistently myopic and reactionary and can't think ahead to how to handle this kind of situation.  It really isn't hard to come up with some general policy parameters for this.

First of all, you need to make sure that it's a system that can't be gamed.  For the MNF game, we were only halfway through the first quarter, so the game had barely even started and this isn't a concern.  But you don't want to create an incentive for a team to exaggerate an injury in the fourth quarter of a 47-3 blowout as a way of generating a no-contest or something.  So make it a call from New York based on some well-publicized guidelines for when play stops and when play continues.  It could be as simple as "spinal injury or on-field resuscitation = stop; anything else = go."  Just enough to stop gamesmanship.

Second, you need a plan for how you deal with the game that got cancelled.  "Score at the time of cancellation" is fine.  "Tie" is fine.  "Coin flip" is fine.  "No contest" is fine.  "The injured player's team loses" is fine.  It could depend on how much time is left in the game -- that's fine.  Just have a rule and stick to it.  This making-it-up-as-you-go-along business is bush league.  Even a suboptimal rule is better than what the league is doing now, because the suboptimal rule will at least be transparent and known to all parties in advance.  

Third, you need leeway for the commissioner to handle unforeseen contingencies.  All this needs is a clause like "The commissioner has the authority the adjust any of these procedures when he or she determines that doing so is in the best interests of the league" or somesuch.  If the commissioner abuses that authority, you have the wrong commissioner and that's not a problem that can be solved with policy.

I think that's really about it.  This policy doesn't have to be complicated.  It just needs to exist.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

Any solution impacts lots of people. One solution is to cancel the entire week 17 results for all games. And proceed into week 18 with everyone knowing it’s a 16 game season.  It is the fairest solution for the top of the bracket in the AFC. 

23 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

The thing that's irritating about this is that it's completely predictable to the point of total certainty that something like this would happen eventually.  For the life of me, I do not understand why the NFL is so consistently myopic and reactionary and can't think ahead to how to handle this kind of situation.  It really isn't hard to come up with some general policy parameters for this.

First of all, you need to make sure that it's a system that can't be gamed.  For the MNF game, we were only halfway through the first quarter, so the game had barely even started and this isn't a concern.  But you don't want to create an incentive for a team to exaggerate an injury in the fourth quarter of a 47-3 blowout as a way of generating a no-contest or something.  So make it a call from New York based on some well-publicized guidelines for when play stops and when play continues.  It could be as simple as "spinal injury or on-field resuscitation = stop; anything else = go."  Just enough to stop gamesmanship.

Second, you need a plan for how you deal with the game that got cancelled.  "Score at the time of cancellation" is fine.  "Tie" is fine.  "Coin flip" is fine.  "No contest" is fine.  "The injured player's team loses" is fine.  It could depend on how much time is left in the game -- that's fine.  Just have a rule and stick to it.  This making-it-up-as-you-go-along business is bush league.  Even a suboptimal rule is better than what the league is doing now, because the suboptimal rule will at least be transparent and known to all parties in advance.  

Third, you need leeway for the commissioner to handle unforeseen contingencies.  All this needs is a clause like "The commissioner has the authority the adjust any of these procedures when he or she determines that doing so is in the best interests of the league" or somesuch.  If the commissioner abuses that authority, you have the wrong commissioner and that's not a problem that can be solved with policy.

I think that's really about it.  This policy doesn't have to be complicated.  It just needs to exist.

As I keep saying there is a rule and it has been discussed.  It gives the commissioner the leeway, but the first part of the rule is if possible to try every way to reschedule- especially if it has an impact on other teams (positive or negative).

The rule also states that the alternative if it can not be played for whatever reason is a no contest.  There are no rules for coin toss or tie or assigning a victory, but does give the commission leeway - so my guess is in you example of 47-3 - he could rule the game official and give the team with 47 the victory.

I do not think he would do that in the middle of the first quarter.

13 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Any solution impacts lots of people. One solution is to cancel the entire week 17 results for all games. And proceed into week 18 with everyone knowing it’s a 16 game season.  It is the fairest solution for the top of the bracket in the AFC. 

This is not happening. There are 31 other teams with their own interests. 

• Like (+1) 1

Probably wishful thinking but, a scenario I could see happening - the #1 seeding comes down to Buffalo, KC, Cinncy. Let’s say everyone plays week 18 as scheduled and we’ll assume all 3 teams win. The league is already leaning on the Bills players/coaches/staff to decide what to do for their week 18 game. The league is no doubt in contact with the Bengals and Chiefs (as well as all other teams).

the Bengals have already shown all the grace in the world having been apart of this and Andy Reid has a long standing relationship with Sean McDermott. Of course they’d discuss it with their players but I could very well see these teams allowing the Bills the #1 seed if they all win in week 18.

while it would be unfair and their fans would be pissed, both of these teams would feel extremely confident in the wild card round. Yes it would eliminate  home field if the bills make the AFCGC but this league is a brotherhood and it makes sense to me as a move of solidarity and a way to avoid a chaotic scheduling situation.

flame away.

Edited by astb41

4 minutes ago, astb41 said:

Probably wishful thinking but, a scenario I could see happening - the #1 seeding comes down to Buffalo, KC, Cinncy. Let’s say everyone plays week 18 as scheduled and we’ll assume all 3 teams win. The league is already leaning on the Bills players/coaches/staff to decide what to do for their week 18 game. The league is no doubt in contact with the Bengals and Chiefs (as well as all other teams).

the Bengals have already shown all the grace in the world having been apart of this and Andy Reid has a long standing relationship with Sean McDermott. Of course they’d discuss it with their players but I could very well see these teams allowing the Bills the #1 seed if they all win in week 18.

while it would be unfair and their fans would be pissed, both of these teams would feel extremely confident in the wild card round. Yes it would eliminate  home field if the bills make the AFCGC but this league is a brotherhood and it makes sense to me as a move of solidarity and a way to avoid a chaotic scheduling situation.

flame away.

Not happening. 

• Like (+1) 2

Damar's survival is obviously the paramount concern right now.

Venturing a guess on how the NFL deals with this situation re: playoff seeding.

I think the Bills Bengals game will be considered a no contest and will not be made up. I don't see any chance of a win or loss being assigned to either team from that game.

Win % will be used for playoff seeding and the playoffs will happen as scheduled. I don't see any chance of them moving the established playoff dates or inventing new ways of seeding the playoffs. Any other solution would be too complicated imo.

• Like (+1) 2

57 minutes ago, section122 said:

Here is an idea

Play this week as normal.  

If kc beats vegas they get a bye. Bills get the 2 and bengals the 3 seed for 1st round opponents.  If both teams win the divisional game is played in cincy as a quasi make up game. If the Bills make the afc championship game they host if not kc hosts

If kc loses to vegas bills bengals gets played for the 1 seed loser goes home. 7 seed plays the 8th seed that just missed and the bye is removed.

Nfl gets an extra playoff game, most issues get resolved with minimal disruption.

I accidently posted this in the wrong thread but what do people think of this idea?

8 minutes ago, section122 said:

Here is an idea

Play this week as normal.  

If kc beats vegas they get a bye. Bills get the 2 and bengals the 3 seed for 1st round opponents.  If both teams win the divisional game is played in cincy as a quasi make up game. If the Bills make the afc championship game they host if not kc hosts

If kc loses to vegas bills bengals gets played for the 1 seed loser goes home. 7 seed plays the 8th seed that just missed and the bye is removed.

Nfl gets an extra playoff game, most issues get resolved with minimal disruption.

Am I understanding that in the event that KC loses to Vegas, the Bills/Bengals would compete in what amounts to a play in game? And then an extra team that was already eliminated would essentially move in to the bracket? 

If I have this correctly, I would not be for this. I think they will default to win pct. or even get to a coin flip, before they would cause this much disruption to the playoff bracket. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Turk71 said:

Damar's survival is obviously the paramount concern right now.

Venturing a guess on how the NFL deals with this situation re: playoff seeding.

I think the Bills Bengals game will be considered a no contest and will not be made up. I don't see any chance of a win or loss being assigned to either team from that game.

Win % will be used for playoff seeding and the playoffs will happen as scheduled. I don't see any chance of them moving the established playoff dates or inventing new ways of seeding the playoffs. Any other solution would be too complicated imo.

There was some chatter earlier that an unnamed higher up had indicated they will remove a game from the Chiefs record (either the Denver game last week or through a random number generator) for the purposes of evening the three teams with a 16 game record. It seemed like a legit report, but I have to lean toward what you are saying here Turk. I have a hard time not seeing the league go to win pct. to seed the Bills/Bengals/Chiefs. More than likely the Chiefs win and we end up with the 2 seed. It's not perfect, but it minimizes disruption throughout the rest of the league. The only other issue being the Ravens will no longer have the ability to win the North. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.