Playoff Solutions Assuming they don’t replay the Bengals game.

Locomark

17 minutes ago, BillyBilliams said:

What are they going to do, though?  If they have a standalone game, the Bills and Bengals are at a disadvantage.  If the Chiefs get the bye, they are now afforded TWO weeks off.  The 6 and 7 seeds get a bye week because of the standalone game while they watch the Bills/Bengals slug it out.  How is that fair that the 2 or 3 seed has to play the 6 or 7 seed while they are fully rested?

If the league goes that route, the game that everyone was excited to watch Monday and the game that would be played will look vastly different

In my opinion it would look a lot more like a pre season game combined with the pro bowl

When it comes to the playoffs every team wants home field but home field takes a back seat to health

19 minutes ago, BillyBilliams said:

But why give Cincy the W?  What did they do to win the game?  

What if Josh Allen had torn his knee instead of just tweaking it a little?  Teams win games due to other players' injuries all the time.  It's part of sports.  If the league sticks the Bills with a L, in my mind it's just going to go directly into the "losses caused by injury" bucket, much like the Miami game.  

(To be clear, this isn't my preferred outcome.  I'm just saying that it's not some kind of miscarriage of justice or anything). 

Edited by BillsFanSD

21 minutes ago, BillyBilliams said:

Or, just act as if the game never happened.  It's not that big of a deal.  Cincy just simply clinches the division, which is unfortunate for the Ravens, but I'm going to be real, they wouldn't beat Cincy without Jackson anyways.  Cincy still has the opportunity for the 2 seed.  Buffalo still has the opportunity for the 1 seed barring a KC loss.

Its not that big of deal but shaft a team that has nothing to do with this from 1) a chance to win their division and 2) home field advantage for the playoffs. Sure not that big of a deal haha.

In the mean time a team getting an extra week of rest before playing a playoff game is off limits because it is such a big deal. I mean....come on.

18 minutes ago, BillyBilliams said:

Like what was said earlier, this damages the NFL's money making venturs for Super Bowl Sunday.  You guys might not like it, but the NFL is here to make money.  The SB means way more than some regular season game.  The game on Monday does nothing to decide the outcome of the eventual Super Bowl winners.  

We are going in circles. The NFL doesn't actually lose a ton moving wildcard weekend games back a week. The rest of the playoffs (besides SB which wouldn't be moved) no one has any idea where they would be played so how much planning could they have done?

Screw wild card weekend plans and do this right instead of makeshift altering seeding rules and drawing numbers.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

It’s been said in another thread:

If you resume the game as a stand alone Week 19 matchup, nobody is penalized. 

And we all avoid sitting through the stupid Pro Bowl week. 

I don’t think they will do that…shift the entire slate the playoffs? Can’t see it…I think the NFL is likely negotiating between the Chiefs Bills and Bengals right now…to present the outcome

Sunday evening

i would the those 3 also deserve to know what they are exactly playing for this weekend

Edited by TH3

17 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

Its not that big of deal but shaft a team that has nothing to do with this from 1) a chance to win their division and 2) home field advantage for the playoffs. Sure not that big of a deal haha.

In the mean time a team getting an extra week of rest before playing a playoff game is off limits because it is such a big deal. I mean....come on.

We are going in circles. The NFL doesn't actually lose a ton moving wildcard weekend games back a week. The rest of the playoffs (besides SB which wouldn't be moved) no one has any idea where they would be played so how much planning could they have done?

Screw wild card weekend plans and do this right instead of makeshift altering seeding rules and drawing numbers.

Well one thing is for sure, a Bills Bengals only game of the weekend would have insane ratings.

KC Loss + CIN Win + BUF Win = 

the game would literally be for the 1 seed. 

2 minutes ago, TH3 said:

I don’t think they will do that…shift the entire slate the playoffs? Can’t see it…I think the NFL is likely negotiating between the Chiefs Bills and Bengals right now…to present the outcome

Sunday evening

Include the Ravens. A no contest ruling means Baltimore can't win AFC North 

Edited by Warriorspikes51

29 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Include the Ravens. A no contest ruling means Baltimore can't win AFC North 

To their credit, the Ravens fans on their forum are relatively calm about this possibility. Not sure if they would be different if Lamar was playing this weekend or if they happen to pull off the upset against the Bengals.

I think there is some confusion from two camps. 

One side is saying the Bills have to play this game because of seeding for other teams. The Bills don't have to do anything. Taylor and McDermott proved that to the league the other night. I don't agree with making two teams play who don't want to. Which we don't actually know one way or another.

But what I think a good portion of the board is saying isn't that the Bills should not play the game. Rather if both the Bills/Bengals feels compelled to replay that game they should. If they don't the league is capable of issuing losses, ties, etc. without rescheduling the entirety of the playoffs. 

On 1/3/2023 at 5:52 AM, Buffalo Ballin said:

How are we doomed again? It's just a game.

Not trying to change the subject, but I have to mention this: Why did Roger Goodell extend the NFL season to 17 games? He had fears years ago that someone was going to get killed. Yet he extended it anyway.

Owners wanted it extended to 17 games. That wasn't a Goodell initiative.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Mango said:

I think there is some confusion from two camps. 

One side is saying the Bills have to play this game because of seeding for other teams. The Bills don't have to do anything. Taylor and McDermott proved that to the league the other night. I don't agree with making two teams play who don't want to. Which we don't actually know one way or another.

But what I think a good portion of the board is saying isn't that the Bills should not play the game. Rather if both the Bills/Bengals feels compelled to replay that game they should. If they don't the league is capable of issuing losses, ties, etc. without rescheduling the entirety of the playoffs. 

Nobody is saying they "have to" play the game. My point is that the Bills should "want to" play the game.  If they don't want to play the game, that is in essence a forfeit and they could do that today.

1 hour ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

If the Chiefs and Bengals win this week, and the Bills lose, that essentially takes care of the seeding dilemma for the most part, right? NFL is probably holding out on that possible outcome before making any decision.

Does it?  If the Bengals and Bills end up with the same 12-4 record, do the Bengals get the #2 seed?  If so, you may be onto something. 

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

Nobody is saying they "have to" play the game. My point is that the Bills should "want to" play the game.  If they don't want to play the game, that is in essence a forfeit and they could do that today.

I mean, the bolded is silly at best. Most of us have likely been around when a parent, grandparent, etc. died. But this experience likely has little empathy from the standard population.

We shouldn't be saying what players should and should not want to do in this scenario. They may very well want to, and that is cool with me. They might be fired up. AWESOME! But they might not be, and that is OK too. 

SoCal Deek: Hey Josh, do you want to play the Bengals game again?
Josh Allen: Not, really. 
SoCal Deek: Well you should!

Just now, Mango said:

I mean, the bolded is silly at best. Most of us have likely been around when a parent, grandparent, etc. died. But this experience likely has little empathy from the standard population.

Brett Favre started a game the day after his dad died, and he was universally lionized for having done so.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Mango said:

We shouldn't be saying what players should and should not want to do in this scenario. They may very well want to, and that is cool with me. They might be fired up. AWESOME! But they might not be, and that is OK too. 

SoCal Deek: Hey Josh, do you want to play the Bengals game again?
Josh Allen: Not, really. 
SoCal Deek: Well you should!

Then just forfeit ....now. I have no idea what you want here? 

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

Does it?  If the Bengals and Bills end up with the same 12-4 record, do the Bengals get the #2 seed?  If so, you may be onto something. 

I have a thought on this. In this scenario the Bills should keep the 2 seed with the contingency that if they meet in the playoffs this year the Bengals are owed home field due to the missed game. 

1 minute ago, BillsFanSD said:

Brett Favre started a game the day after his dad died, and he was universally lionized for having done so.

OK...

Good for Favre...

Just now, Mango said:

I have a thought on this. In this scenario the Bills should keep the 2 seed with the contingency that if they meet in the playoffs this year the Bengals are owed home field due to the missed game. 

Here's where you and I differ.  Nobody owes the Bills anything. If they choose not to play, then they live with the consequences of that decision...and that's OK.  It is there choice. Use it as motivation, or not. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Well then you'd have to either play the game or allow the teams to decide whether being the 2 or 3 seed is worth playing. I'd gather at that point the Bills would be ok  playing a potential 2/3  matchup in Cincy in 2 weeks for the actual playoff game. Rather than twice in 3 games with an abbreviated schedule. 

Edited by Lothar
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.