Playoff Solutions Assuming they don’t replay the Bengals game.

Locomark

39 minutes ago, The Red King said:

What other way gives players control of their own destinies without forcing them to revisit the trauma or give KC the 1 seed?

I don't think the reason for a coin flip should be because they can't revisit the field, it should only be to prevent scheduling changes or forcing the Bills/Bengals to play 2 games in 6 days right before playoffs.

If they cant revisit the field again then they should just forfeit the season. It is very likely Bills/Bengals see each other in the playoffs, will they need to coin flip that one too?

Edited by What a Tuel

23 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

The problem with this argument is that you could make the exact same argument about any solution.  "How can you flip a coin while Hamlin is in the hospital?"  "How can you resume the game with Hamlin in the hospital?"  "How can you call it a tie with Hamlin in the hospital?"

What happened to Damar sucks.  It's tragic.  But life doesn't stop just because of a tragedy, and the NFL is under the gun because it's already Tuesday of Week 18.  It may feel gross, but they're going to have to make a decision and run with it. 

Emotions are still raw. But football will be played. And since football will be played, you do that instead of a coin toss. You figure out a schedule. It’s either a no contest, or they play the game, sometime.

My original schedule would’ve been Bills vs Bengals on Thursday, and these two teams get the remainder of their games pushed back a little until Conference Championship Sunday. But that’s obviously not on the table now.

By Thursday, we are going to know more about Hamlin’s status. The two teams already have their game plans set, and although it will SUCK, they play — because both teams are going to play eventually anyways. 

I still think Thursday should've (could have?) been discussed. What if Damar is headed in the right direction, God willing. These guys would focus and play. They pretty much have to. Stefon Diggs valiantly and soulfully tried to pull his teammates out of hell after the tragedy to get their heads into competing. But understandably, he was as overcome by the circumstances as millions are. I have so much respect for Diggs at this point. He’s the right teammate at the right time. I see a Super Bowl MVP Trophy this February on his mantle. 

3 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

I posted in the other thread:

This is what I think is the best solution and obviously outcome:

They pause the week.  

If Hamlin pulls thru in the next 24-48 hours - announce Bills-Bengals kick off Week 18 on Monday January 9 with the resumption of the game.  

Everyone plays this weeks schedule next weekend.

Bills-Patriots and Bengals-Ravens will be played Monday January 16.  

Playoffs proceed one week later maybe even have the teams that play Monday play Monday the 23rd if they can in this scenario.  

Everyone gets an extra week rest while the players risk injury?  NFLPA never let that happen. 

It's also ridiculous to give teams rest. The #1 seed gets no extra rest, they all get rest. And if we get #1 seed we just worked 15 weeks of football and no restwith KC or Cinci likely to rematch us.

The NFL hopes KC loses. Buffalo and Cinci are 1-2.

1 hour ago, What a Tuel said:

I've thought about it and this is my solution:

1-8-23 - Week 18 - Play normally

1-15-23 - Formerly Wildcard Weekend - Instead its just Bills vs Bengals

1-22-23 - Formerly Divisional Weekend - Instead it is Wildcard Weekend

1-29-23 - Formerly Conference Championships - Instead its Divisional Weekend

2-5-23 - Formerly Bye Week for SB Participants (Pro Bowl stuff) - Instead Conference Championships

2-12-23 - Super Bowl - Play normally

Sure some plane and hotel reservations will get messed up but at most for what? Just Wildcard weekend? Playing field for Divisional round can only possibly be known for 1st seeds which is up in the air for both conferences anyway so that is the risk you take.

Super Bowl remains the same. 

I just don't see how they don't replay this game but then the Bills happen to play the Bengals in the playoffs 2 weeks later maybe? And that they can do? Doesn't make sense.

To summarize this method messes up some plane and hotel reservations but is fair for all involved teams.

Its the only solution.

Woohoo. Buffalo gets to continue playing for #1 seed and ...

No bye week.  And Cinci at best gets #2 seed and... No bye week regardless.

Not enough incentive for the players and the league to juggle all of that for the risk of injury, logistics, and common sense. 

The only thing the NFL can do is kick Mahomes and Kelce in the nuts. Then tell them they're still #3 seed. 

11 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

KC can argue this would be unfair to them.

Tell KC not to lose to both teams. And if they're so good to win elregardless

I've thought about it and this is my solution:

1-8-23 - Week 18 - Play normally

2-5-23 - Formerly Bye Week for SB Participants (Pro Bowl stuff) - Instead Conference Championships

2-12-23 - Super Bowl - Play normally

Sure some plane and hotel reservations will get messed up but at most for what? Just Wildcard weekend? Playing field for Divisional round can only possibly be known for 1st seeds which is up in the air for both conferences anyway so that is the risk you take.

Super Bowl remains the same. 

I just don't see how they don't replay this game but then the Bills happen to play the Bengals in the playoffs 2 weeks later maybe? And that they can do? Doesn't make sense.

To summarize this method messes up some plane and hotel reservations but is fair for all involved teams.

Its the only solution.

Agreed - I posted the same solution a few pages back. The counter was the sponsor activities that go on 1st week leading up to the Super Bowl.

16 minutes ago, boyst said:

Everyone gets an extra week rest while the players risk injury?  NFLPA never let that happen. 

It's also ridiculous to give teams rest. The #1 seed gets no extra rest, they all get rest. And if we get #1 seed we just worked 15 weeks of football and no restwith KC or Cinci likely to rematch us.

The NFL hopes KC loses. Buffalo and Cinci are 1-2.

Woohoo. Buffalo gets to continue playing for #1 seed and ...

No bye week.  And Cinci at best gets #2 seed and... No bye week regardless.

Not enough incentive for the players and the league to juggle all of that for the risk of injury, logistics, and common sense. 

The only thing the NFL can do is kick Mahomes and Kelce in the nuts. Then tell them they're still #3 seed. 

Tell KC not to lose to both teams. And if they're so good to win elregardless

Buffalo would get a bye week 1-22-23 if they get #1 seed.

Yes if the Chiefs get #1 seed they and NFC #1 seed would get 2 weeks. So what. It is so much less fair than #1 seed getting 1 week when every other seed gets none? Meh.

Also what logistics? The NFL doesn't even know who is playing who yet, let alone who is traveling to what stadium.

Edited by What a Tuel

7 minutes ago, Roy Hobbs said:

Agreed - I posted the same solution a few pages back. The counter was the sponsor activities that go on 1st week leading up to the Super Bowl.

Sponsor activities? Like ad space? 

Honestly in my opinion this is where the NFL makes a bold statement that it is willing to take a few hits to get this done right. If a sponsor cancels or is unhappy they should show they will take care of that side without issue.

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

Just have the refs call 37 penalties against the Chiefs on Sunday.  Problem solved.

If they just call Kelce for holding/OPI 37 times, no one would even be able to argue it was unfair. 😂

Edited by What a Tuel
  • Haha (+1) 1

Homerism - don’t count it and hope KC blows against the Raiders

fairness ?

buffalo takes the forfeit because we just can’t play 

buffalo also chooses to rest their guys against the patriots or just say screw that too

get emotionally and physically easy and kick ass come wildcard week at home 

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

Sponsor activities? Like ad space? 

Honestly in my opinion this is where the NFL makes a bold statement that it is willing to take a few hits to get this done right. If a sponsor cancels or is unhappy they should show they will take care of that side without issue.

If they just call Kelce for holding/OPI 37 times, no one would even be able to argue it was unfair. 😂

You've also got airline reservations, hotel rooms, rental cars and a loss of a week's revenue to the Phoenix/Glendale area if you chop a week off between the conference champs and the SB. Should the NFL step up ? You bet ... Will they ? Who knows ? 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, davspo said:

There is no fair in this.  There is only class and character.  I think the right thing to do is to forfeit the game.  It really is meaningless to these guys.  Cincy was the epitome of class last night.  The coach, organization, fans and community.  Not putting them in a worse position would show sportsmanship back.

Cincy was the epitome of class last night AFTER his injury.  Before it there attempts to deliberately hurt players likely to improve chances of winning game.

As I said in another thread it is unlikely NFL will punish players because they have enough contribution on their side telling teams to be ready to play in 5 minutes but both teams did not (passive resistance).

13 minutes ago, Roy Hobbs said:

You've also got airline reservations, hotel rooms, rental cars and a loss of a week's revenue to the Phoenix/Glendale area if you chop a week off between the conference champs and the SB. Should the NFL step up ? You bet ... Will they ? Who knows ? 

They have not in past.  For Katrina rescheduled game which was cancelled they depended upon hotels and airlines to repay for cancellations.  USAir only gave vouchers good for a year but only when you tried to use it you were told that voucher was good only one year since Date of Purchase NOT date to be used.  If you bought your ticket when schedule was announced you were screwed.  I used to fly regularly for work and told them I am not flying on USAir even if airline is cheaper.

• Like (+1) 1

The NFL likely hopes the Chiefs and Bengals lose next week and the Bills win. In that scenario the game is completely unneeded as it would’t change seeding whatsoever. 

Plus it then gives Buffalo another week off to recover and for the media to do their thing about the Bills fighting on for their brother in the hospital or hopefully good enough to go home by Divisional week games.

Edited by thewookie1
  • Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

The NFL likely hopes the Chiefs and Bengals lose next week and the Bills win. In that scenario the game is completely unneeded as it would’t change seeding whatsoever. 

Plus it then gives Buffalo another week off to recover and for the media to do their thing about the Bills fighting on for their brother in the hospital or hopefully good enough to go home by Divisional week games.

The problem is that a Bengals loss against the Ravens puts them at 11-5 and the Ravens at 11-6 technically giving the Bengals the division unless the Bills vs Bengals game resolves. Ravens will have beaten the Bengals twice, so a Bengals loss to the Bills and a tied 11-6 record would give the Ravens the division.

Edited by What a Tuel
  • Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

The problem is that a Bengals loss against the Ravens puts them at 11-5 and the Ravens at 11-6 technically giving the Bengals the division unless the Bills vs Bengals game resolves. Ravens will have beaten the Bengals twice, so a Bengals loss to the Bills and a tied 11-6 record would give the Ravens the division.

And if the game is then played again the Bills will field a weakened side in that scenario anyway. So they may as well forfeit and be done with it for all the good it would do the Ravens.

• Like (+1) 1

Assuming the Bills Bengals game is cancelled and also assuming the Bills and Chiefs win their Week 18 games, one could easily make the claim that Bills should get the #1 seed since have a head to head advantage over the Chiefs and simply weren't able to play the 18 games due to the tragic events.

What's more is if the Bengals and Bills win in week 18 and the Chiefs lose, all three teams would have 4 losses, but Buffalo and Cincy would BOTH have head to head tiebreaker advantage over KC!  There would literally be a 3 way claim for the number 1 seed!

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

And if the game is then played again the Bills will field a weakened side in that scenario anyway. So they may as well forfeit and be done with it for all the good it would do the Ravens.

Stop with the forfeit talk.  It’s not going to happen. 

Just now, saundena said:

Assuming the Bills Bengals game is cancelled and also assuming the Bills and Chiefs win their Week 18 games, one could easily make the claim that Bills should get the #1 seed since have a head to head advantage over the Chiefs and simply weren't able to play the 18 games due to the tragic events.

What's more is if the Bengals and Bills win in week 18 and the Chiefs lose, all three teams would have 4 losses, but Buffalo and Cincy would BOTH have head to head tiebreaker advantage over KC!  There would literally be a 3 way claim for the number 1 seed with Cincy and Buffalo seemingly stronger than the chiefs, but with a lower win percentage due to playing one less game.

No idea how this gets fixed, but hopefully point differential is considered :)  

13 minutes ago, saundena said:

What's more is if the Bengals and Bills win in week 18 and the Chiefs lose, all three teams would have 4 losses, but Buffalo and Cincy would BOTH have head to head tiebreaker advantage over KC!  There would literally be a 3 way claim for the number 1 seed!

No, it would boil down to head to head record, division record, common opponents...

So... Buf and cin beat KC so KC is 3.

Buffalo is 3-2 in division. Cin is 2-3.

Buf winning puts them at 4-2 and cin wins they're 3-3.

Buf 1

Cin 2

KC 3

I dread any results going to KC and their arrogance of feeling bad for us and fake empathy. Part of me wants to let that happen then go in there and beat the tar off them. 

Edited by boyst
  • Like (+1) 2

Buffalo would get a bye week 1-22-23 if they get #1 seed.

Yes if the Chiefs get #1 seed they and NFC #1 seed would get 2 weeks. So what. It is so much less fair than #1 seed getting 1 week when every other seed gets none? Meh.

Also what logistics? The NFL doesn't even know who is playing who yet, let alone who is traveling to what stadium.

The one team this is unfair to is the Bengals and to a lesser degree Bills as every other team gets a bye the week before first round, but they have to play.

For those reasons I'd rather bag the game. Don't know if this has been suggested yet, but here's my idea.

Assuming KC, Bengals, and Bills don't lose this coming weekend, based on win percentage and which team didn't want to play, give KC #1 seed, Bengals #2, and Bills the 3 purely for seeding purposes only.

IF in 2nd round Bills Bengals meet, flip a coin for home field.  But would also be OK playing game in Cinnci.

IF Bills KC meet next round conference championship round, since KC got #1 seed based on one more game played, play the game on neutral site, the dome in Indy would be a nice half way point.

But if there is this rule that a game can't be canceled if it impacts another team, likely will end up playing it, though would still unfairly effect Bills and Bengals if everyone else has a bye.

Here is a possible, fair, common sense approach and one that if Zac Taylor, Andy Reid, and Sean McDermott were to make if all things ended equal: (this would not happen). These would be matchup specific. Give the bye to the Bengals. They beat KC and they didn’t get the game with Buffalo in. 
Now, Cincy is gifted the bye. 

Cincy travels to Chiefs if they meet up due to Chiefs better record.

Bills travel to Cincy if they meet up due to Cincy not getting to play the Monday night. I’m sure the Bills would agree to this. (Goodwill.). NFL ensures 50 percent of tickets go to Bills fans.

Chiefs travel to Buffalo if they meet up. (Head to Head.)

This to me would be a fair and common sense way to do it because it gives each team an opportunity to host. 

Flame away!

18 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Get rid of the bye week before the Super Bowl and Buffalo and Cincy have their game in 2 weeks. Only playoff games are pushed back a week and who cares about the Pro Bowl.

Seems about the most competitively fair thing they can do at this point 

The Pro Bowl can even be moved to Saturday during the day or Monday night without disrupting existing travel plans for many. both the CCG's will be on Sunday.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.