Playoff Solutions Assuming they don’t replay the Bengals game.

Locomark

19 minutes ago, dakrider said:

The game can't be replayed without disrupting the entire rest of the league.  So there is no game.  Teams will simply have to go with the records they have. So if KC wins on Sunday, they get the #1 seed.  If KC loses and Bills win, Bills get to keep #1 seed. If KC and Bills lose and Cinci wins, Cinci gets #1 seed. And if all 3 of these teams lose on Sunday, then Bills also keep #1 seed. There simply is no other way. 

this is actually fairly objective. 

30 minutes ago, chongli said:

They will just be delayed one week.

i'd rather take the forfeit than risk playing an extra week and the wear and tear while everyone else rests.

21 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

There's no way they can rescheduling anything or move the playoff/Super Bowl schedule around.

If anything, the Bills and Bengals eat this game. Either as a tie, or they just play a 16 game schedule and standing is determined by Win %.

Assuming we all win out next week, gives us:

1 KC

2 Buffalo

3 Cincy

Which at this point, I'm fine with. Better than a loss last night. And KC's D is so sus, they could go out round 2 and AFC Champ still goes through Buffalo. Assuming we survive Round 2, these injuries tho...

not to mention what i just mentioned. we can't risk more injuries and a wasted week to likely face a loss.  rest up and recover. go beat up on some boston scum and whoever wants to feel our wrath in the wildcard.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, boyst said:

i'd rather take the forfeit than risk playing an extra week and the wear and tear while everyone else rests.

Same boat here. 

Either don’t play the game at all or forfeit at this point. Id rather go into the playoffs on normal schedule as the #2/3 seed than emotionally AND physically exhausted on little rest. 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, DrPJax said:

I really do understand your point , yet losing a grandparent ( having lost all of mine and my father. 96 year old mom was watching and cheering for Bills tonight!) is not as unexpected as losing a peer in your age group right in front of your eyes while playing the sport you do as well for a living. There is a difference.  Josh unlikely was there as his grandmother passed ( I could be wrong , just my experience over the years ) and many grandparents have chronic illness etc.  Possibly losing a younger peer , who you spend more time with than grandparents usually, is a very unexpected trauma.  Just a thought.  Not sure he will be ready to play lights out in this situation; may be very affected as many team men were crying , and extremely shaken just witnessing the resuscitation, let alone considering the possibility of him passing. He did dedicate the game to his grandmother and did play well. This type of thing makes you realize your own vulnerability though. 

Two different scenario's. Absolutely. thanks DrPJax  for the great posting / replies. Myself personally, watching the whole thing unfold in front of us. I don't think you even had to be a Bills fan or a football fan for that matterfor this to traumatize you a little. I cried like a baby last night and its hard to think about the faces of our players right now and not tear up. I can't even begin to imagine how all the players must feel. 

Speaking of vulnerability, added chest protection perhaps?

Thanks again doc

Edited by Figster
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, bobobonators said:

Same boat here. 

Either don’t play the game at all or forfeit at this point. Id rather go into the playoffs on normal schedule as the #2/3 seed than emotionally AND physically exhausted on little rest. 

Then the Bills probably won't get the bye week to rest.

4 minutes ago, boyst said:

There won't be a forfeit. The NFL wouldn't want egg on its face for forcing one team to take the loss because of an injury like this. There either will be a tie, double win, or no contest declared. Plus, Cincy would not accept a win by foreit. KC, if they had any balls, wouldn't accept the number 1 seed this way either.

• Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, dakrider said:

The game can't be replayed without disrupting the entire rest of the league.  So there is no game.  Teams will simply have to go with the records they have. So if KC wins on Sunday, they get the #1 seed.  If KC loses and Bills win, Bills get to keep #1 seed. If KC and Bills lose and Cinci wins, Cinci gets #1 seed. And if all 3 of these teams lose on Sunday, then Bills also keep #1 seed. There simply is no other way. 

I think this is essentially the best way.  Outside of this, Bills forfeit the Cinci game, do the best they can with the backups against NE and use the NE game as a bye for the starters for physical rest/ailments and proceed from there.  

33 minutes ago, BillyBilliams said:

They could base records on a 16 game schedule, rather than the 17 game schedule?  Raiders are out of the playoffs, so their game doesn't matter.  Just have KC take Week 18 off and have Buffalo play New England.  If Buffalo wins, they get the 1 seed.  If they lose, it goes to KC.  I'm not factoring Cincy simply because they are 1 loss behind both teams.  Have them play Baltimore for the division.

Interesting!

7 minutes ago, chongli said:

There won't be a forfeit. The NFL wouldn't want egg on its face for forcing one team to take the loss because of an injury like this. There either will be a tie, double win, or no contest declared. Plus, Cincy would not accept a win by foreit. KC, if they had any balls, wouldn't accept the number 1 seed this way either.

I actually think a double win would be the most fair decision possibly.

It essentially keeps everyone at the same place they were entering the week, but it also keeps all the final week games relevant. The teams with the most at stake would be the ones fighting for the playoffs altogether or games where divisions were on the line. Obviously this helps the Bills compared to a tie, loss, or just not counting it at all, but in my mind keeping things in the standings as they were for these teams which were both on win streaks maintains more of the playoff structure than screws it up.

Kansas City being gifted the #1 spot, along with the Bills and Bengals being punished for happening to be the 2 teams on the field for such an incident, is a deeply unfair "solution" which makes the final week of games just odd to play with. I really hope that's what is decided, and then of course that Hamlin shows some very positive signs and everyone is able to process this accordingly and move forward.

• Like (+1) 2

Huge LOL at the thought of a solution where KC ends up getting 2 bye weeks. Absolutely not a chance.

These solutions would be slightly different depending on a lot of things. What if we were a game up on KC? What if we had been winning or tied when this happened? What if we were in the position of the Ravens? It is a genuine black swan event not only in the medical/injury sense, but in its impact to the overall structure of the game and the playoffs.

Assigning a double win, allowing the final week to go as scheduled (some games moved to Monday or even Tuesday), and then going from there is the most logical and sensible solution to me. Let tie breakers handle whatevershakes out depending on that in the last week for seeding.

7 hours ago, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

I'm not the one suggesting JA is going to be lights out good due to the fact his grandmother died, and he could be again due to Hamlin's injury.  It was a weird statement to make.  

fair enough

Myself personally, I think its possible in Allens case that the game itself becomes somewhat secondary to matters of life and death. As it should, allowing Josh Allen to play the game devoid of emotion. How a surgeon doing an operation might feel. My take on it anyway. 

Sorry If I offended you BIGFOOT

• Like (+1) 1

The NFL would be smart to wait until after the Saturday and Sunday games happen, then decide what to do with this game.

At that point, we'll have a complete picture of the implications of their actions. The #1 seed should not just be granted to any team without knowing full implications.

12 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’m guessing the league will treat the game as a tie. Done.

So, penalize both teams because one of the players got injured? Doesn't really seem too fair to me.

2 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Coin toss.  One W, one L, just as if the game was played.  Players determine the outcome (One team flips, one calls it in the air), nothing standings-wise is altered and nobody needs to relive the trauma.

Yes, another on team coin flip! Its actually the fairest way.

I read somewhere that if tied with the same record Bills and Bengals would have the same conference record and same common opponents records.

So if it comes down to strength of victory,  our Rams and Bears games drag the Bills

down below Cinci.

yep on the coin flip -- im not sure that there can be another option that results in less complaints from any fan base short of them actually finishing this game, which i doubt. definitely better than intentionally giving one team a Win or Loss or both Ties (which hurts both teams)

otherwise get rid of the bye for the 1 seed in the AFC, and add an 8th playoff team, effectively getting rid of that huge advantage the 1 seed has since its tough to say which of the top 3 should get it right now.  plus the nfl gets an extra game to make up for this one that gets cancelled

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.