Playoff Solutions Assuming they don’t replay the Bengals game.

Locomark

2 minutes ago, Roy Hobbs said:

In effect yes, but given the special circumstances I don't see a lot of choices. If the Bills or Bengals end up with the #1 seed, they would get the next week off. 

So schedule wise ... 

Bills-Bengals - Jan 14-15 (resume game where it left off)

Wild card - Jan 21-22

Divisional - Jan 28-29

Conference champs - Feb 4-5

Super Bowl - Feb 12

I wonder how this would impact Super Bowl logistics?  Isn't SB week/Pro Bowl week a large earnings period.  Last year there were hundreds of vendors set up the week before the SB with tons of events... Not to mention Phoenix is planning on a 2 week event...?

31 minutes ago, Airseven said:

Why do people think that if the game is re-started within a couple days that the Bills and Bengals would still play again on Sunday? Doesn't it make sense that those two games on Sunday would also be pushed by a couple days, creating a short week much like Sunday-Thursday scheduling? The league did this during COVID.

Except if they push the Bills/NE game and the Cincinnati/Baltimore game back to even Monday - logistically that means none of the AFC playoff schedules could be done until Monday evening and by then it is a short week if an AFC team is expected to play Sat and doesn’t find out an opponent or venue until late Monday.

Seems like a very bad idea.

1 minute ago, Caesar said:

I wonder how this would impact Super Bowl logistics?  Isn't SB week/Pro Bowl week a large earnings period.  Last year there were hundreds of vendors set up the week before the SB with tons of events... Not to mention Phoenix is planning on a 2 week event...?

You make a good point - unfortunately, there is no easy answer. Calling it a no-contest or a tie pretty much gives the #1 seed to the Chiefs.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

Cancel the game and give them both a tie. 

This doesn't benefit the Bengals or the Bills, and only benefits teams outside of who was directly affected.  Give both teams the W.  Sure, KC Fans will be upset, but you know what, don't lose to both Buffalo and Cincy, and you wouldn't have to rely on teams winning and losing to get to your goal.

• Like (+1) 1

i dont think the game will be, or should be rescheduled.

i think the best options are:
1. Coin flip the result of the game, but dont count it as an official W-L for records purposes, just for playoff seeding.  I believe the coin flip is already a last resort options in the event of 2 teams tying in every tiebreaker, so its not unprecedented

2. 'No contest' the game and get rid of the bye for the 1 seed, and add an 8th team in the AFC playoffs. definitely limits the advantages between the 1-3 seeds. i think only downside to that is if bengals dont beat ravens next week then they may lose the division which would admittedly be a bit unfair

Just now, BillyBilliams said:

This doesn't benefit the Bengals or the Bills, and only benefits teams outside of who was directly affected.  Give both teams the W.  Sure, KC Fans will be upset, but you know what, don't lose to both Buffalo and Cincy, and you wouldn't have to rely on teams winning and losing to get to your goal.

Hahahaha…I love how your “solution” basically gives the Bills the #1 seed.  

3 minutes ago, Roy Hobbs said:

You make a good point - unfortunately, there is no easy answer. Calling it a no-contest or a tie pretty much gives the #1 seed to the Chiefs.

but they would have the best record.  The only team possibly losing out are the Bills, assuming they beat the Bengals, which is not a given.  Bengals would not have been #1 seed in any event if KC wins Saturday.  

2 minutes ago, Roy Hobbs said:

I think they should call it a "no contest" and award both teams "wins" with regards to conference tie breakers/seeding only, or go simply off of conference records (win percentage) to determine the seeding.  There is no way the Chiefs should benefit from what occurred last night, especially considering they've already lost to both teams.

• Like (+1) 1

The real issues at play:

-first and foremost Hamlins health. Poor optics rushing to solution mode over this game the next couple of days. Not relatively important versus his health status.

-players really shaken up about what happened and lack of clarity on Hamlin’s health for several days makes it very difficult to ask then to restart this week.

-logistical nightmare to push back playoffs 

A no contest is the logical decision IMO. The downside is basically seeding only. KC getting gifted the 1 is lousy but this best addresses the issues.

I don't see how there's any scenario in which the league gives the Bills an advantage here. It's completely unfair to all of the other teams in the league to change the playoff scheduling and it's unfair to the rest of the AFC do mess at all with the seeding. The most reasonable thing to do for the Bills is to forfeit the Bengals game and perhaps the Patriots game if they aren't up for it (which of course would be unfair to all other Wild Card aspiring teams, but it is what it is) and then get ready for the Wild Card round in the playoffs.

Edited by BullBuchanan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

4 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Hahahaha…I love how your “solution” basically gives the Bills the #1 seed.  

So your solution is to punish the Bills for having their player die on the field and get revived on the field and forcing them to lose their tiebreaking edge?  Why does KC get to benefit with this devastating incident?  Especially when they lost to both teams that were supposed to play last night.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, jrb2590 said:

i dont think the game will be, or should be rescheduled.

i think the best options are:
1. Coin flip the result of the game, but dont count it as an official W-L for records purposes, just for playoff seeding.  I believe the coin flip is already a last resort options in the event of 2 teams tying in every tiebreaker, so its not unprecedented

2. 'No contest' the game and get rid of the bye for the 1 seed, and add an 8th team in the AFC playoffs. definitely limits the advantages between the 1-3 seeds. i think only downside to that is if bengals dont beat ravens next week then they may lose the division which would admittedly be a bit unfair

The more I discuss this the more I am on team coin flip.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, BillyBilliams said:

So your solution is to punish the Bills for having their player die on the field and get revived on the field and forcing them to lose their tiebreaking edge?  Why does KC get to benefit with this devastating incident?  Especially when they lost to both teams that were supposed to play last night.

I just don’t see any way the NFL gives two teams a “W” for a game that could not be completed. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.