Damar Hamlin - Now (1/11/2023) discharged from Buf Gen & “recovering at home”

SDS

4 hours ago, Mr Info said:

I believe someone else may have posted this but the equipment lightening (shoulder pads, etc) in the NFL may have contributed to commotio cordis occurring for Damar. This is why this phenomenon has not occurred until now. Perhaps some equipment modification or use of flak jackets, etc. may prevent this from happening again.

stuff like flak jackets and extra padding really limit movement especially for the skill players that need full range of movement. Probably not an option.

32 minutes ago, BeefCurtns said:

stuff like flak jackets and extra padding really limit movement especially for the skill players that need full range of movement. Probably not an option.

Perhaps not flak jackets but something like rib protectors that would not limit their mobility. This might have to be developed but Damar’s injury might expedite its r&d.

Interesting article on the shrinking pads in the NFL. Injuries are one thing but possible death was never considered. The next player may not be so fortunate.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/26/sports/football/nfl-pads-michael-bennett.html

You may get one article for free from the Times.

Edited by Mr Info

49 minutes ago, Mr Info said:

Perhaps not flak jackets but something like rib protectors that would not limit their mobility. This might have to be developed but Damar’s injury might expedite its r&d.

Interesting article on the shrinking pads in the NFL. Injuries are one thing but possible death was never considered. The next player may not be so fortunate.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/26/sports/football/nfl-pads-michael-bennett.html

You may get one article for free from the Times.

I feel like this might encourage someone to start looking into stuff like Carbon Fiber to incorporate into pads. 

Edited by appoo

8 hours ago, Real McNasty said:

Basically, perfect storm or like getting hit by lightening if above is true. 

Commotio Cordis is what is sounds like from above statement if no underlying issue is truly present.  There are something like 30 cases recorded per year. 

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/24572-commotio-cordis

Over 100+ years of college and pro football, hundreds of thousands of hard hits to the chest (many much harder than DH took) absorbed by players, and this is the first time it's ever happened in a football game at those levels. Your chance of getting hit by lightning is likely better. Perfect storm indeed!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

On 1/9/2023 at 7:57 PM, Mr. WEO said:

I’m sure the staff all know it’s location.  It’s usually in a box on the wall in a conspicuous location

And when a student learns how to use the aed with the first aid training they will be instructed on the locations should they ever need to use them.

4 hours ago, BeefCurtns said:

Agree.  But good news.  Lax pads now have a special part that protects from this condition, and do not restrict movement.  I can see football incorporating that.  

Edited by RyanC883
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

Agree.  But good news.  Lax pads now have a special part that protects from this condition, and do not restrict movement.  I can see football incorporating that.  

Yep, just a puffy foam triangle over the sternum. No ristiction on movement, might not help body catches of the ball though…

Wonder if this mode of injury has been seen in rugby 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 1

.............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

a billboard for Damar Hamlin in Phoenix :) I-10

very cool

💙💙💙

keep praying! Full Recovery and discernment on how to move forward with his life and charitable organization. Amen!

phoenix I-10.jpg

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

• SDS unpinned this topic
On 1/11/2023 at 11:15 AM, BillsShredder83 said:

That hockey player was on ice 2 days later! For a playoff hockey game at that

Chris Pronger didn’t die on the ice and have to be resuscitated. He was un conscious for a few seconds before coming around prior to leaving the ice. Big difference. He had cardiac arrhythmia. We don’t know what happened to 3. 

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, AlfaBill said:

Chris Pronger didn’t die on the ice and have to be resuscitated. He was un conscious for a few seconds before coming around prior to leaving the ice. Big difference. He had cardiac arrhythmia. We don’t know what happened to 3. 

It was commotio cordis until proven otherwise.  There was a hit to the chest and then a cardiac arrest.  The only thing we don't know is whether there was a reason that it happened after a hit that didn't seem so bad.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.