Damar Hamlin - Now (1/11/2023) discharged from Buf Gen & “recovering at home”

SDS

3 hours ago, appoo said:

Truly truly amazing.

The fans, the media, everyone so far a has been amazing.

We need to keep pushing the NFL & The Bills to keep supporting Damar after all this energy naturally fades away. 

Football and sport has an outsized, positive impact on our lives and communities.  These men get well paid to do what they do, and make a choice to risk their health for this sport. Still, I think it still pales in comparison to the positive community energy they bring as a team. 

With that it mind, if Damar is unable to play football even again, then I hope the NFL & The Bills fully support him financially until he’s able to financially support himself. As a 2nd year, 6th round draft pick, he’s probably earned less than a million dollars in earnings after taxes. A substantial sum of money, but certainly not enough to cover living expenses and long term care in recovering from this in the years that follow.  And as a 2nd year player, he is not vested.  I understand that “everyday” and “working class” folks don’t get these benefits (I hate both phrases in this context but am left without a better phrase it’s become so collloqueal), but I would suggest that I - and anyone else in my field - don’t have the same power as these players to bring a community together, to uplift a community after tragedy, to help instill pride in a community, among the other positive aspects of being a Buffalo Bill. That matters. 

Given the massive cultural impact teams

make on our community, and the limited amount of players (about 2000 roster spots each year between the active roster and practice squad), and the amount of money these clubs gets from TV deals and all the other revenue streams, they need to be a lot more upfront in how they take care of players who get processed out of this league due to injury and health. 

I hope the NFL and the Bills support Damar for the rest of his life, for as long as it’s needed, for being a part of such a powerful cultural phenomenon, and almost dying for it

Or put this way, what other person in the Buffalo community that’s not a member of this team, would inspire a rally around the community event such as what we with Damar?

I wouldn't be surprised if this organization doesn't keep him on the roster just so he can become vested. The Bengals did something similar with Devon Still while his daughter was sick. I, by the way, have a Devon Still jersey purchased during a charity event for her

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Man, at the rate Damar is improving it almost seems like he will lead the charge this Sunday. Probably too soon but leading the charge for the first playoff game seems likely. 

I'm not sure if you're joking or not.  Seriously, we should just be really glad with the progress he's making without speculating about his future playing football.  It's way too early for that.

10 minutes ago, Georgia Bill said:

I'm not sure if you're joking or not.  Seriously, we should just be really glad with the progress he's making without speculating about his future playing football.  It's way too early for that.

he wasn't talking about playing football, just being there for his team leading the charge

13 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

you must be a young'n.  Bladder shy isn't possible with a big prostate.  I knock over family members rushing to the bathroom.

I'm a middl'n.  Young enough to control my bladder but old enough to sing "moon river" while bent over.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 6

1 hour ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Man, at the rate Damar is improving it almost seems like he will lead the charge this Sunday. Probably too soon but leading the charge for the first playoff game seems likely. 

17 minutes ago, Georgia Bill said:

Sorry, I misinterpreted your post (thx Taro), thought you were talking about him playing... You meant leading the charge - someone mentioned maybe they'd have him address the fans from his hospital room - whether live or pre-recorded that would be cool.   

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.