Damar Hamlin - Now (1/11/2023) discharged from Buf Gen & “recovering at home”

SDS

somebody better trademark "Did we Win" STAT in other words PRONTO

It is already iconic as far as I'm concerned. All Proceeds to Mr Hamlins charity

That would be sweet.

He will concentrate on recovery and then be helped to manage all the money raised for IMO whatever Mr Hamlin and his people decide. What an incredible gift bestowed him from a lot of people. Its Humbling.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

11 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I didnt watch the medical press conference in full but I could have sworn that they didnt diagnose him with that yet and further said that diagnosis comes from pretty much ruling everything else out and they havent done that yet.

Correct he has not been diagnosed with that

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I didnt watch the medical press conference in full but I could have sworn that they didnt diagnose him with that yet and further said that diagnosis comes from pretty much ruling everything else out and they havent done that yet.

You are correct.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Yeah. I think the term “presumptive working diagnosis” indicates that they suspect they know what the cause of the cardiac arrest was, but have not yet arrived at an official, final diagnosis.

I believe the quotes I posted were from NFLPA medical people, not Hamlin’s doctors. I’m not sure how their language in describing their working theories and diagnosis probabilities would differ.

McDermott is the perfect coach at the perfect time for this team and after watching that presser today and seeing 17 interject when McDermott was asked do you think they’re ready, that’s was awesome.

Josh at the very end making it clear to all that Higgins has zero fault in a freak accident and telling people to stop being knobs(Bart Scott), incredible.

That press conference was a crystal clear example of the total package a modern day franchise QB. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, julian said:

McDermott is the perfect coach at the perfect time for this team and after watching that presser today and seeing 17 interject when McDermott was asked do you think they’re ready, that’s was awesome.

Josh at the very end making it clear to all that Higgins has zero fault in a freak accident and telling people to stop being knobs(Bart Scott), incredible.

That press conference was a crystal clear example of the total package a modern day franchise QB. 

As I read this, this came up on my feed.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 15

9 hours ago, DrPJax said:

I think just about every expert , dr believes that was the mechanism. Other things like aortic dissection , Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy , coronary artery disease or anomalies would have been investigated and the attending physicians would not just allow a false narrative ti continue.  We all saw what happened ; it’s the old saying in medicine if you hear hoof beats behind you and turn around , it’s usually a horse and not a zebra.   This is yet ANOTHER CRITICAL CARE EXPERT all agreeing with the diagnosis , not still working on a differential. If you want other explanation or evidence , other than an autopsy , it’s just being argumentative for the sake of arguing.  What else explains it and how can you support a different conclusion then?  Will it take 1 more or a hundred more Drs saying the diagnosis for you to “ accept “ that if it quacks like a duck, usually  it’s a duck ?

Part if the art of medicine , and it is still largely an art where experience matters , these all very experienced Drs diagnosing visually ( we are in an age of legitimate, reimbursable  telemedicine now, but most very good  Drs agree,  you can diagnose about 80% of the things patients present with just by getting a good history alone) , so arguing over semantics seems silly. . Again ,  if not that , please feel free to put forth some discussion as a colleague and we can gladly debate.   Just negating things without some reasonable alternative  seems a little light in the effort department is all I’m saying ;;it’s not how colleagues learn or debate ideas. At least it never used to be until suddenly it’s more convenient to just cancel things or not listen at all. No one has ever said commotio cordis is the ONLY DIAGNOSIS , BUT ARE YOU ACTUALLY ARGUING IT WAS NOT A FACTOR AT ALL?  You are welcome to your opinion ; usually when negating something , at least  where I have been in talks and rounds ,  people aren’t just called out without a counter discussion of ideas. Maybe it’s different in other countries, or planets ,  I don’t know !? 😊

I said it was an  explanation and he uses diagrams and language that those not in the profession can easily relate too. He did use that as his working diagnosis in two videos now.  It mentions the latest info I have heard , about lowering the o2 down to 50%.  Of course that’s not brand new , nothing is brand new yet !  But again for the majority who are not medical personnel, it did discuss how the treating Drs  might be seeing improvement with just positioning, and they did say they saw “ some improvements”. I would bet most people have not had ards explained relating to an arrest or have viewed how it appears on X-ray. This is for a message board , just tried to post something that helps visually. It’s not a grand rounds lecture, never alluded it as such, and I just quoted a Dr I have followed ( along with a million other subscribers, so the numbers might be on his side here ) who is board certified , treated these type of  patients, and has a good demeanor.  But let’s just criticize because that adds,,,,,nothing!   If not up to your standards for info from a football message board, it’s ok to move on , it’s that simple as nothing was posted with bad intent or for click bait. 

He did confirm , and this was said by Damar’s relative speaking on CNN , that he was awake and then sedated and that is relevant for prognosis relating to preservation of his brain , pretty important as that’s the only objective thing we can measure; throwing around statements that the time of 9 min doing cpr etc mean nothing until we see if his brain was preserved.  It’s sounds at least somewhat positive that he is less likely to have suffered brain death, tho we can’t be 100% sure, yet.  This dr felt comfortable saying that to 1 million subscribers , so he must have some history of reliability; imo he has proven to be measured and reliable since 2020. It’s his reputation tho , not mine , so shooting the messenger again seems silly.  It was posted to view as another opinion with some very good  explanations and diagrams ( prob not many can visualize how the diaphragm and heart can affect lung expansion) IMO for people in non- medical professions.    No one posted it was THE ONLY reliable info from the attendings at cincy, so of course it’s a general description. It really doesn’t need your disclaimer ; no one was harmed or misled and as far as I know , this is not a peer reviewed journal. Lol, man , his videos were posted by others before in this thread and received well ; it is what it is and it’s like the commercial , “ we don’t need a line monitor here”.  Lol.  Let’s hope his being awake was accurate info at the time and , who knows , maybe this dr has trained with or knows docs at Cincy as he spoke very highly of them!  
Have a better day ! 😉👍

Huh...

As stated, I think that your linked video was a good general explanation of commotio cordis and potential complications and therapies.

I disagreed with your analysis with respect to Hamlin, as quoted here:

"This video is great as it confirms the diagnosis, but it really does a fantastic job showing the complications from cpr;the possible development of acute respiratory distress syndrome associated with cardiac arrest ;  he mentions two resuscitation attempts; he shows the changes in the lungs on X-ray and why 100% oxygen was needed"

1)  Diagnosis of CC wasnt confirmed, in fact, Cincy ICU docs specifically stated that they have more evaluation to do before arriving at a dx.  CC is a diagnosis of exclusion.  I'm not saying that CC isnt the correct diagnosis.  But have the docs ruled out hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, for instance?  This can be difficult to rule out without genetic testing and stress echocardiograms. Hard to do a stress echo on an intubated patient.

2) There werent 2 resuscitation attempts.

3)  The CXR shown wasnt Hamlin's, but an example of a patient with ARDS (who in all likelihood didnt have CC).

Are you a physician?  I am.  Most docs I know are careful with their words, and would never state a diagnosis was confirmed based on what TV docs were speculating.

Great news that Damar is awake and communicating.  Thats really, really promising re: neurologic status.  Hopefully they will be able to extubate him soon.  

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Logic said:

Yeah. I think the term “presumptive working diagnosis” indicates that they suspect they know what the cause of the cardiac arrest was, but have not yet arrived at an official, final diagnosis.

I believe the quotes I posted were from NFLPA medical people, not Hamlin’s doctors. I’m not sure how their language in describing their working theories and diagnosis probabilities would differ.

The differing language would be driven by differing timelines and responsibilities.

I'm assuming here that immediate testing ruled out coronary artery disease and structural defects of the heart, straightforward tests for conditions that would need immediate treatment.

The UC doctors treating Hamlin have a responsibility to him and his family to be 100% sure before they give them a diagnosis.  They need to scrutinize every cardiac rhythm, deep-dive into the health of his heart muscle after recovery, and rule out every rare genetic condition before they tell him "we think this was commotio cordis and is unlikely to recur".  They have nothing to gain and much to lose by speaking before they do that.

The NFLPA doctors have a large membership of football players who want to know what the hell happened before they start smashing into each other this Saturday.  Assuming the straightforward stuff has been excluded, they can tell their members that this seems to be the working diagnosis and it's very rare and requires a fluke placement at a fluky time.  If it's not, then the other most likely cause is that it's specific to Hamlin, and also unlikely to apply to the membership at large.  So they have a need to provide information now but not much to lose if the latter proves true when all is said and done.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.