Damar Hamlin - Now (1/11/2023) discharged from Buf Gen & “recovering at home”

SDS

If Damar's recovery continues in the direction it's looking, I'm pretty certain I know who's gonna be the first guy to hold the Lamar Hunt or Lombardi if we get there...

It's gonna be fu***** crazy waterworks. Tens of millions of people crying at once.

• Like (+1) 3

Can you imagine what it will be like when Damar and that medical team walk onto the field at Highmark Stadium together.  Never mind whether Damar's playing or not.  

WhoDeyNation and BillsMafia are forever tied together.   I'm gonna hug the next person I see in Bengals gear, whether they like it or not.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

“Who won” is one of his first questions?!?!?!?   HOLY CRAP!!!! 

Damar Hamlin is a FIGHTER and a WINNER!!!!!

From the NY Times....

The doctors treating N.F.L. safety Damar Hamlin said Thursday that he was “awake and breathing,” and was able to communicate by writing with pen and paper on Wednesday night, and asked who won the game between the Bills and Bengals where he had a cardiac arrest.

The University of Cincinnati Medical Center doctors, Timothy A. Pritts and William Knight, told reporters during a news conference on Thursday that the communication was a positive sign.

Pritts said Hamlin was moving his hands and feet, but Knight said it was “truly too early” to determine whether Hamlin might make a full recovery and perhaps return to professional football.

“We know that he’s home and that appears that all cylinders are firing within his brain,” Pritts said. “Which is greatly gratifying for all of us for the nurses and respiratory therapists and caregivers as for his family and for everybody else beyond.”

Knight and Pritts repeatedly thanked the Bills and Bengals medical staff for how quickly they provided aid to Hamlin, which they said saved his neurological function.

But, Knight said, it was too early to tell whether Hamlin would regain finer motor function and that things like cognition, motion, speech and language would need to be assessed in the future.

“While still critically ill, he has demonstrated that he appears to be neurologically intact. His lungs continue to heal and he is making steady progress,” the Bills said on Thursday morning.

Does anyone doubt that the Buffalo Bills Family are going to play their hearts out for their warrior brother!?!?!?!?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

The stellar training and readiness of the Bills trainers and doctors on the filed saved this young man’s life.

What an amazing, uplifting story.  And the universal outpouring of support from the whole world gives me hope for humankind.  

As of this moment, Chasing M’s Foundation is up to $7,349,950.

4 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Toy fund now over $7, 340,000!

Be good this year, kids. Santa is already loading up the sleigh!

Haha.  You beat me to the punch.....you posted this while I was typing.  

And the total goes up every minute....now $7,353,820!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Toy fund now over $7, 340,000!

Be good this year, kids. Santa is already loading up the sleigh!

Can you imagine over 7 million dollars worth of Christmas gifts/ toys and Damar personally handing the toys out to the kids dressed up as Santa.

Lol, it might take awhile...

Edited by Figster
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Not to be the materialistic weasel of the group, but....Is anyone else fighting the urge to dream up scenarios on what a amazingly triumphant story it would be for the Bills to win the SB.  I know I am.  Trying to manage expectations.

Tops Massacre

Matt Araiza being released

Dawsons brother

Micah Hyde - done

Von Miller - done

Two historic deadly snowstorms

Damar Hamlin

If anyone needs this, it's the people of Buffalo 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

53 minutes ago, Tenhigh said:

That should easily be voted the best Zoom call ever. 

PR and media relations management is normally not something they teach in medical school

I thought those two physicians did an INCREDIBLE job.  They were very generous in recognizing the Bills physicians and trainers, gently emphasizing the impact of immediate bystander CPR and defibrillation on a positive outcome, and also firm but clear on refusing to provide details of exact timing of the arrest/resuscitation that remains to be reviewed, or detailed results of medical tests that are nobody's business but his family's

Trying to summarize some notes I took:

Initial response:

1. initially had pulse when trainers reached him, pulse disappeared under their initial care

2. had one round of CPR and one round of defibrillation to restore a pulse (ROSC, return of spontaneous circulation)

3. had a "textbook" EMS response including airway maintenance and intubation prior to transport to hospital

4. no details about why/how long the ambulance remained in the tunnel, but did share that Hamlin was intubated and had airway maintenance prep once he was inside the ambulance. 

5. no tracheostomy (hole in the throat to insert a breathing tube, this would be done if there were an object lodged in upper airway or if there were neck trauma where swelling would threaten the airway). 

6. no broken jaw.

7. was sedated, placed on ventilator and placed in prone position due to ARDS (acute respiratory distress syndrome) which was explained as an inflammatory response interfering with gas exchange in the lungs.

8. hypothermia protocol was used

Current status:

1. Still on ventilator with breathing tube in place, so can not speak.

2. Is communicating by moving shaking head or nodding (important detail - means they aren't worried about neck injury), by squeezing hands, and by writing on paper on clipboard.

3. He asked early on who won the game?  Doctor said they told him "you did, Damar, you won the game of Life".

4. Parents and family and members of the Buffalo Bills staff are with him

5. Said he's been holding lots of peoples' hands - he's held doctor's hand, family, Bills

6. They can very much feel the prayers and the well wishes surrounding Damar and his family. 

7.  Said his family is wonderful and they wish everyone had a family like that.

8. Said Damar has been told he's got a lot of toys to buy when he gets out of hospital

Next steps:

1. Focus is on improving his respiration and restoring his ability to breathe without the ventilator

2. Asked if Commotio Cordis was the cause of his cardiac arrest.  Explained that Commotio Cordis is a "diagnosis of exclusion" and they will be conducting further tests to rule out other causes of sudden cardiac arrest before that diagnosis would be made.

3. Asked about concussion.  They explained that no head injury detected, but concussion is a neurological diagnosis and since he's been sedated on a ventilator that evaluation could not be made.

4. Asked several times about what the best outcome would be, and what kind of rehab he would need or timeline.  Said the best outcome would be to return to the state he was in at 8 pm Monday night (didn't sound as though they rule that out) but it's too soon to tell what kind of rehab would be needed or what the timeline would be

Hope this is helpful to anyone who didn't have time to listen to the whole thing.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 10

amazing news!!!!!  thank you allmighty God.

can you imagine waking up to a world where everyone now knows your name?!

who won the game?

what happened while I was out?  

uh Damar, just a little.......

WOW!  

God Bless you Damar Hamlin!  

Edited by jethro_tull
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.