Damar Hamlin - Now (1/11/2023) discharged from Buf Gen & “recovering at home”

SDS

The calendar is going to flip a couple times and we'll be on to the Patriots and we'll think of Damar.  Then it'll flip a few more times and it will be the first round of the playoffs and we'll think of Damar.  And then more time will pass and we'll think of him less and less because time does its thing.  A few years from now we'll say "Oh man, remember when..."

But it's important to keep little nuggets of wisdom and I'll always remember this day when we found out he survived and when things like losing coin flips don't feel so unlucky after all.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

To all the caring, loving, well educated people who have so skillfully responded to aid Damar Hamlin in his time of need, thank you so very much to each and every one of you 👍❤️, you have made all of our lives better, 

Who’s cutting onions in here…

🙏 for DH 

GO BILLS!!!

• Like (+1) 4

I don’t post much here but I read the board daily. I have a source who I am 100 percent confident would be in the know of Damar’s status and this is what I was provided this morning:

-He is off sedation and awake

-He is still using a ventilator to assist in his breathing

-his cognitive functions seem to be working and he was able to identify his parents and even write a word 

-it’s still early in the process and more nuero testing needs to be done.

Overall this tracks with many of the updates from national media and like is said I wouldn’t post this if I wasn’t confident in the info and I almost didn’t but I know everyone here is looking for as much news as possible 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, khlax3 said:

-his cognitive functions seem to be working and he was able to identify his parents and even write a word 

That would be huge...but I'll wait (impatiently) for confirmation of that from public sources.  Because that's enormous.

Here's my dumb question for the afternoon.  Is he still in prone?

26 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Question for our emergency medicine/ICU docs here:  Can he be maintained on a ventilator (if still needed) while conscious?

According to Herc (who seems experienced in this type of work), it looks like a patient can be intubated while conscious but requires an anti-anxiety med to prevent them from pulling the tube.

",,,you don't ease a patient back into normal brain activity. As long as the patient is able to protect their airway, you extubate. The longer someone is intubated the more chance of complications/mortality.

You reduce sedation at least once per day and test the pt's ability to respond. This is called a Spontaneous Awakening Trial, SAT. Are they able to follow commands? Does the patient get agitated and try to pull the ET tube out or other lines? How are their vitals when sedation is reduced? Does HR go too high? Respiratory rate? Oxygenation? There are many things a nurse is watching for during the SAT. If they fail, you resedate them.

If they pass the SAT, then a Spontaneous Breathing Trial is done, SBT. For this, all sedation meds need to be off, except for precedex which helps with anxiety. We then get the RT to change the vent settings and attempt to let the patient breath on their own. Again, watch heart rate, resp. rate oxygenation. If this is passed we inform the doctor. At this time the doctor usually talks with the RT and RN and asks if they recommend extubation." 

• Like (+1) 1

I was talking with my buddy and his wife after Taron got hurt about how as we get older it’s tougher watching these young guys get hurt.  Shortly after that  Damar goes down and I don’t think any of us said anything for a solid ten minutes after they showed the replay of him hitting the ground.  

I’ve never cried watching a game before but once they showed his age and the fact he went to Pitt, which my little brother just graduated from last year I got hit like a ton of bricks.  

Hearing Damar is responsive and surrounded by family has genuinely lifted my spirits.  He’s got a long road ahead of him it sounds like but he seems like the type of kid that’ll take that fight head on.  

Thoughts are with him and his family.  Still don’t know how the team is going to mentally prepare for a game this week but it sounds like the news is just what the doctor ordered for everyone.  💪🇺🇸🍻🙏

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Mynamemike said:

Thoughts are with him and his family.  Still don’t know how the team is going to mentally prepare for a game this week but it sounds like the news is just what the doctor ordered for everyone.  💪🇺🇸🍻🙏

On One Bills Live (WGR550) Chris Brown reported that the music is back on during practice at the stadium today. I think that's a great sign as far as the mental state of his teammates!

Edited by 34-78-83
  • Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, khlax3 said:

I don’t post much here but I read the board daily. I have a source who I am 100 percent confident would be in the know of Damar’s status and this is what I was provided this morning:

-He is off sedation and awake

-He is still using a ventilator to assist in his breathing

-it’s still early in the process and more nuero testing needs to be done.

Overall this tracks with many of the updates from national media and like is said I wouldn’t post this if I wasn’t confident in the info and I almost didn’t but I know everyone here is looking for as much news as possible 

FWIW I also have been told by a source who knows someone with the bills about the writing a word thing.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.