Damar Hamlin - Now (1/11/2023) discharged from Buf Gen & “recovering at home”

SDS

3 minutes ago, wiseman3 said:

I'm not sure if Schefters tweet should be considered as any major good news. "Making progress" could mean a number of things, and without any specific news of how he is improving, I'd manage expectations for now. Noone knows. 

I agree, we have zero idea of where along the progress bar he is right now. Truthfully nobody even knows for sure if he had commotio cordis. If it was CC, and they followed the procedure of reducing body temperature and ventilating for a period of time they *should have* started the body warming process and working him off of a vent yesterday. At that time is when you would learn whether he can breath on his own or not. The fact that we didnt hear anything besides (progress) yesterday worries me. But...

The caveat is that WE HAVE NO IDEA what is going on in the hospital and all of these little leaks are becoming unhelpful.

• Sad 1

I think it is great that fans have suggested that coach gets the coy honor.

But if the look at the body of work that he our coach has done this year I think and know it goes way beyond that.

I think we as fans should nominate him,for the time man of the year award.

This is not just about football.

It is about life. And leading true men through adversity.

Thanks I will stop crying know.

Can't see my keyboard 😒 

• Like (+1) 6

1 hour ago, jletha said:

The caveat is that WE HAVE NO IDEA what is going on in the hospital and all of these little leaks are becoming unhelpful.

Yeah, all the updates from family members and sports journos, while all well intentioned, are not super helpful. I work with docs all the time and these things are incredibly nuanced and have to  be explained and couched in very precise terms. I give credit to Damar’s buddy/marketing rep who gave an interview to espn yesterday, he made it very clear he’s far from an expert and couldn’t answer medical questions, he could only talk about the family’s state of mind. 

1 hour ago, wiseman3 said:

I'm not sure if Schefters tweet should be considered as any major good news. "Making progress" could mean a number of things, and without any specific news of how he is improving, I'd manage expectations for now. Noone knows. 

I'm not a doctor, but I'm very active on another football-related forum where three different doctors have provided extensive commentary on this injury and the general prognosis for somebody of Hamlin's age who suffered this injury and received X treatment at Y time, etc.  All three of them were optimistic about Hamlin's survival, but they all completely disregarded the "making progress" thing and one became significantly more pessimistic due to the lack of any specifics.  What I mean by that is that families often interpret basic reflex reactions as "making progress" when in fact they are very negative signs.  Again, I'm not qualified to discuss this in anything resembling detail and for all I know Hamlin actually is improving.  Just passing it along.

Edited by BillsFanSD
  • Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

To be clear, this video does not confirm that Hamlin had commotio cordis, nor does it update his condition. 

The video is a general explanation of commotio cordis and the subsequent treatment options for the condition as patients recover. 

One bit of new info is the report that uncle said he was awake before being placed in a coma. If that’s correct, that is incredibly good news. Means that he was alert enough to communicate prior to protective coma. 

I think just about every expert , dr believes that was the mechanism. Other things like aortic dissection , Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy , coronary artery disease or anomalies would have been investigated and the attending physicians would not just allow a false narrative ti continue.  We all saw what happened ; it’s the old saying in medicine if you hear hoof beats behind you and turn around , it’s usually a horse and not a zebra.   This is yet ANOTHER CRITICAL CARE EXPERT all agreeing with the diagnosis , not still working on a differential. If you want other explanation or evidence , other than an autopsy , it’s just being argumentative for the sake of arguing.  What else explains it and how can you support a different conclusion then?  Will it take 1 more or a hundred more Drs saying the diagnosis for you to “ accept “ that if it quacks like a duck, usually  it’s a duck ?

Part if the art of medicine , and it is still largely an art where experience matters , these all very experienced Drs diagnosing visually ( we are in an age of legitimate, reimbursable  telemedicine now, but most very good  Drs agree,  you can diagnose about 80% of the things patients present with just by getting a good history alone) , so arguing over semantics seems silly. . Again ,  if not that , please feel free to put forth some discussion as a colleague and we can gladly debate.   Just negating things without some reasonable alternative  seems a little light in the effort department is all I’m saying ;;it’s not how colleagues learn or debate ideas. At least it never used to be until suddenly it’s more convenient to just cancel things or not listen at all. No one has ever said commotio cordis is the ONLY DIAGNOSIS , BUT ARE YOU ACTUALLY ARGUING IT WAS NOT A FACTOR AT ALL?  You are welcome to your opinion ; usually when negating something , at least  where I have been in talks and rounds ,  people aren’t just called out without a counter discussion of ideas. Maybe it’s different in other countries, or planets ,  I don’t know !? 😊

I said it was an  explanation and he uses diagrams and language that those not in the profession can easily relate too. He did use that as his working diagnosis in two videos now.  It mentions the latest info I have heard , about lowering the o2 down to 50%.  Of course that’s not brand new , nothing is brand new yet !  But again for the majority who are not medical personnel, it did discuss how the treating Drs  might be seeing improvement with just positioning, and they did say they saw “ some improvements”. I would bet most people have not had ards explained relating to an arrest or have viewed how it appears on X-ray. This is for a message board , just tried to post something that helps visually. It’s not a grand rounds lecture, never alluded it as such, and I just quoted a Dr I have followed ( along with a million other subscribers, so the numbers might be on his side here ) who is board certified , treated these type of  patients, and has a good demeanor.  But let’s just criticize because that adds,,,,,nothing!   If not up to your standards for info from a football message board, it’s ok to move on , it’s that simple as nothing was posted with bad intent or for click bait. 

He did confirm , and this was said by Damar’s relative speaking on CNN , that he was awake and then sedated and that is relevant for prognosis relating to preservation of his brain , pretty important as that’s the only objective thing we can measure; throwing around statements that the time of 9 min doing cpr etc mean nothing until we see if his brain was preserved.  It’s sounds at least somewhat positive that he is less likely to have suffered brain death, tho we can’t be 100% sure, yet.  This dr felt comfortable saying that to 1 million subscribers , so he must have some history of reliability; imo he has proven to be measured and reliable since 2020. It’s his reputation tho , not mine , so shooting the messenger again seems silly.  It was posted to view as another opinion with some very good  explanations and diagrams ( prob not many can visualize how the diaphragm and heart can affect lung expansion) IMO for people in non- medical professions.    No one posted it was THE ONLY reliable info from the attendings at cincy, so of course it’s a general description. It really doesn’t need your disclaimer ; no one was harmed or misled and as far as I know , this is not a peer reviewed journal. Lol, man , his videos were posted by others before in this thread and received well ; it is what it is and it’s like the commercial , “ we don’t need a line monitor here”.  Lol.  Let’s hope his being awake was accurate info at the time and , who knows , maybe this dr has trained with or knows docs at Cincy as he spoke very highly of them!  
Have a better day ! 😉👍

30 minutes ago, dabillsfan85 said:

Well isn’t that uplifting. 

However, a deeper understanding of circumstances is required. Damar is young, presumably in very good general health and well conditioned. He also had exceptional medical attention from just seconds after his cardiac arrest.  You can easily postulate that these factors should improve his odds of recovery ❤️🩹 

• Thank you (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.