Damar Hamlin - Now (1/11/2023) discharged from Buf Gen & “recovering at home”

SDS

1 hour ago, Locomark said:

Knowing Damar is still purposefully sedated as they control his swelling on his chest and lungs, I have questions for those of you who are doctors and specifically neurologists.  Isn’ t it usual that they wait around 2-3 days and then do something like a CT scan to confirm effective brain activity before risking removing him from that sedation and all o2 to make sure he will handle it effectively ? Then probably an MRI looking for further organ impacts at a later time? I am asking this based on experiences I have had with family and friends in traumatic situations and assume any cessation of oxygen must require some evaluation of these factors. Interested in your feedback. 

First of all, I don’t want to speculate at all about what might be happening. As I previously posted, hypothermia is a set protocol that is set in motion asap following a cardiac arrest. Our hospital continues this for 24 hours and this requires that the patient be fully sedated(drug induced coma). The neurologist is usually called in after this is completed, especially if the patient isn’t waking up. Obviously, the longer the patient requires CPR, the greater the risk for an anoxic brain injury. A non contrast Head CT is often done as it is a quick procedure but sometimes the patient is not stable enough for this early on. MRI testing is much harder to get in critically ill patients but is sometimes done if the results can help the neurologist in decision making. I worked at UC hospital during part of my residency. Excellent hospital. I’m sure he is getting top notch care.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 5

12 minutes ago, Arkady Renko said:

Ah.  Yes, not induced coma.  Different situation for my father.  Immunotherapy for cancer caused his body to attack his lungs among other things.  

14 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

he was asking about induced coma.  you have to be awake to get weaned off the vent or at least breathing on your own

.  Hope he did ok.

Wow i'm so sorry to hear that :( . 

Edited by Buffalo Bills Fan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

The NFL pretty much has to take care of Hamlin, vested or not.  It would be an enormous and very public black eye for the "Shield" to do otherwise. 

I don't like the "McDermott is still battling" message.  There was something said about a member of the Bills organization who collapsed from exhaustion and emotion.  I hope that wasn't McD, or that if so, he is able to be resilient.

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

The NFL pretty much has to take care of Hamlin, vested or not.  It would be an enormous and very public black eye for the "Shield" to do otherwise. 

I don't like the "McDermott is still battling" message.  There was something said about a member of the Bills organization who collapsed from exhaustion and emotion.  I hope that wasn't McD, or that if so, he is able to be resilient.

Terry Pegula also told the Hospital to do everything they need to do, he will cover everything. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 17

4 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Apologies if this has already been answered, but at what point do they take him out of sedation? Or what needs to happen before they do that? 

There's not a set time in my opinion.  When they think he can take breaths, they'll lighten the anesthesia and decrease the rate on the ventilator to see if he can breath over it to maintain his oxygen level.  Then they'll keep going down on rate.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bob Jones said:

So did McD go to the hospital on Monday night? I'm assuming yes, but didn't see or hear that confirmed anywhere. The hospital seemed to be continuously staked out by media since shortly after DH was wheeled in there.

seems they let Diggs in so ? Highly likely and lets assume he prayed over him like a Father might

6 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

I was in an induced coma for 8 days  24 years ago. Things may have changed, but I don’t remember any of it or the day after. 

I was just thinking about this. When he finally comes to, I imagine the last thing he'll remember is playing in the game. Will probly be a total mind f when his family/Dr's tell him what happened and everything that followed in the days after

Drove through downtown Cincinnati tonight during my daily work commute and all of the buildings are lit up blue and red.   Paul Brown stadium is blue and the convention center turned their huge “Cincinnati” lights into a blue/red display.  Bengals have been my 2nd team since moving here in 2008 (when it has no impact on the Bills) and seeing how this city has stepped up has solidified that for me.   Especially with Zac Taylor as their coach. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, coastalpika said:

Drove through downtown Cincinnati tonight during my daily work commute and all of the buildings are lit up blue and red.   Paul Brown stadium is blue and the convention center turned their huge “Cincinnati” lights into a blue/red display.  Bengals have been my 2nd team since moving here in 2008 (when it has no impact on the Bills) and seeing how this city has stepped up has solidified that for me.   Especially with Zac Taylor as their coach. 

Agreed. I really have a soft spot in my heart for that team and city. It started with the famous Bengals/Ravens game and grew big time since Monday night.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, White Linen said:

When someone is in an induced coma are they completely unaware they are unconscious or do some come out somewhat aware they were?  

Individual responses to anesthetic drugs do vary so I wouldn't want to exclude that some might come out aware, just as some patients are conscious during surgery under general anesthesia and remember it.

For n of 1, when my mom was sedated and placed on a ventilator, then transported in an ambulance to the major teaching hospital, she didn't remember a thing about it.  She remembers being in one hospital having just eaten some breakfast, then waking up 28 hrs later in the ICU of a different hospital, and nothing in between.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.