Damar Hamlin - Now (1/11/2023) discharged from Buf Gen & “recovering at home”

SDS

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

Sure, you can have that, provided you put posts regurgitating random tweets from random reporters retweeting stats and studies that elicit the vomitus reaction there too.

Sounds like a great idea, though it would change the name of the post to "Damar Hamlin and my random analysis of his condition + uninformed reporters and their unproven stats"

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

It’s the standard procedure for situations involving cardiac arrest…they ease the patient into resuming normal brain activity. 

Except that some recent protocols people have linked treat cardiac arrest where the patient does not resume consciousness after circulation is restored, with 24-48 hrs in a medically induced coma/medically induced hypothermia, followed by a 17-20 hr gradual rewarming - before any attempt to "ease the patient into resuming normal brain activity". 

I have no information on what is really "standard" these days, but in the past the NFL has pretty much used cutting edge therapy to treat injured players (Kevin Everett, Ryan Shazir), so even if 24 hrs is "standard" why do we believe it applies here?

2 hours ago, Ya Digg? said:

I’m not understanding the angle you’re coming from. You call for understanding and forgiveness for them telling the teams to warm back up, but then get upset because people left their names on large donations, as somehow the people who left their names off of their large donations did a better thing or the ones who “won’t eat because of their $30 donation” was less self serving. Who cares where the money came from or if they donated anonymously, isn’t the bigger deal that over $5 million was raised? 

this next part isn’t necessarily directed at you personally, but I have never understood the negative reactions people have when large amounts of money are used for a good cause. In this case when people have left their names instead of donating anonymously. Couldn’t it just be they wanted to donate a larger amount of money and didn’t care if people knew? That it wasn’t about getting publicity? 

To the first bolded above, can you quote me where I was upset?

To the second bolded, didn't I already say the biggest deal was the money raised?

To the third bolded, please tell me what someone has to gain or lose by posting their name on a donation. Then tell me what a person has to gain or lose by donating anonymously? What is the motivation for posting your name when you can simply check a box and remain anonymous? Either way you get a receipt for the tax deduction.

Anyways, no I'm not upset and I hope you aren't either. If you'd like to discuss this please PM me... I don't want to detract from this thread.

Edited by Sierra Foothills

How many of us are right now wishing some trivial thing had altered time to prevent the incident. i.e. different play calling for him to be on sideline.  ive wondered if maybe we didnt draft him, none of this wouldve ever happened or been even a concern. maybe hed got banged up in practice and was out this week?

something to throw him off this timeline, where even if we didnt know what we avoided, wouldve caused this to never happen....

now think about the red light on the way home from work that pisses you off. or missing a flight, or getting a cold, things that upset us as humans. have to wonder how many near misses or avoided tragedies we've all had. i guess what im getting at is a more grateful outlook, in more of our lives, as humans. life is fragile, hug the ppl around you, even when they annoy or make mistakes.

[for the believers in the group] anyone else look at this event and think how many potential players, staff, and fans this could bring closer to God. Im not the best at remembering to pray, reading my Bible, or at being a believer... but i know its stirred up a pretty emotional outpouring in the last 24hrs. How many hurting souls could find comfort from faith now, temporary or full time life changing experiences for these young hurt men.

last thing i ever try to do is cram a belief at anyone, but if youre feeling that heartstring being pulled, explore it. Im devastated today, and glad to have this board as an outlet.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, wppete said:

Pretty shocking news from his uncle says the doctors had to resuscitate him twice. Once on the field and once at the hospital. Praying 🙏 for Damar! 

https://rumble.com/v23steo-damar-hamlins-uncle-gives-an-update-says-they-had-to-resuscitate-him-twice.html

Probably had no impact, but at the time it was notable that the ambulance did not immediately rush him straight to the hospital.

12 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

Keep up the positive thoughts Bills Fam!

Had a lot of Bob Marley lyrics come to mind today.

“Singin', don't worry, about a thing
'Cause every little thing, is gonna be all right
Singin', don't worry, don't worry 'bout a thing
'Cause every little thing, gonna be all right“

Three Little Birds for #3

Edited by rusty shackleford
  • Agree 2

17 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Except that some recent protocols people have linked treat cardiac arrest where the patient does not resume consciousness after circulation is restored, with 24-48 hrs in a medically induced coma/medically induced hypothermia, followed by a 17-20 hr gradual rewarming - before any attempt to "ease the patient into resuming normal brain activity". 

I have no information on what is really "standard" these days, but in the past the NFL has pretty much used cutting edge therapy to treat injured players (Kevin Everett, Ryan Shazir), so even if 24 hrs is "standard" why do we believe it applies here?

Just wait. It’s the toughest thing in the world, bit speculation isn’t going to help. 

11 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

How many of us are right now wishing some trivial thing had altered time to prevent the incident. i.e. different play calling for him to be on sideline.  ive wondered if maybe we didnt draft him, none of this wouldve ever happened or been even a concern. maybe hed got banged up in practice and was out this week?

something to throw him off this timeline, where even if we didnt know what we avoided, wouldve caused this to never happen....

now think about the red light on the way home from work that pisses you off. or missing a flight, or getting a cold, things that upset us as humans. have to wonder how many near misses or avoided tragedies we've all had. i guess what im getting at is a more grateful outlook, in more of our lives, as humans. life is fragile, hug the ppl around you, even when they annoy or make mistakes.

[for the believers in the group] anyone else look at this event and think how many potential players, staff, and fans this could bring closer to God. Im not the best at remembering to pray, reading my Bible, or at being a believer... but i know its stirred up a pretty emotional outpouring in the last 24hrs. How many hurting souls could find comfort from faith now, temporary or full time life changing experiences for these young hurt men.

last thing i ever try to do is cram a belief at anyone, but if youre feeling that heartstring being pulled, explore it. Im devastated today, and glad to have this board as an outlet.

I’m a theist but I’m a firm believer that positive thoughts and hopes have a tangible impact on the world, and I’m a huge believer that you find your faith in humanity and the world in any way you can, and if this helps you find that through religion, then I’m joyful for you 

Edited by appoo
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, dabillsfan85 said:

From the above literature you posted:

If it took longer than 3 minutes to resuscitate, the survival rate is 5 percent.

I believe they mean the time between arrest and the commencement of resuscitation efforts, not the time required to actually restore a pulse.

At least, that is the standard measurable in articles about CPR outcomes.

12 minutes ago, appoo said:

Just wait. It’s the toughest thing in the world, bit speculation isn’t going to help.

Yes, that was my point; we don't need to be speculating like "the standard is to ease the patient into brain activity so if it's more than 24 hrs it's a concern".

We don't know what treatment plan the doctors treating him are actually following or what the expected course of that treatment plan is.

Edited by Beck Water

4 hours ago, Pete said:

Joe Burrow was throwing passes.  Diggs called in the offense, trying to get offense focused on game it seemed- 

it seems to me that they were getting set to start up-  then Taylor ran over from his sideline and asked Sean “What do you want to do?  Whatever you decide”

and that’s when Taylor and Sean decided to pull both their teams off the field

Who do you think told the team to warm up? The coaches. Then you see discussions with McDermott and the head official. Taylor walks over with an official, he was probably called over. Then McDermott likely said his players can’t play right now.

People are making it seem like the NFL was pushing them to play. They never had to play. The right decision was to leave it in the hands of the players and coaches. That’s exactly what seemed to happen. 

But yes, playing was an option. No one was being forced to play however. Why is this even an issue? No one needs any criticism here. There’s no reason for this discussion. A players life hopefully was saved after a freak accident. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/damar-hamlin-collapse-bills-bengals-game-intl-hnk/index.html

“I’m just glad he’s still alive and able to fight and trying to get better and recover,”  [Damar's uncle] Glenn added.

They sedated him just to give a better chance for him to just continue to heal better. We are just taking it day by day. It seems like he’s trending upwards in a positive way,” Glenn said asking people to continue to send prayers for Hamlin.

Glenn said that Hamlin did sustain some damage to his lungs and he’s on a ventilator to help with his breathing and to take some of the strain off of his lungs.

Glenn said both of Hamlin’s parents are by his side and were at the game when he collapsed. 

I remember when that was done for my nephew - he never recovered and was a strong person.  You looked at him and you would think he was a football player or some other kind of athlete.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Who do you think told the team to warm up? The coaches. Then you see discussions with McDermott and the head official. Taylor walks over with an official, he was probably called over. Then McDermott likely said his players can’t play right now.

People are making it seem like the NFL was pushing them to play. They never had to play. The right decision was to leave it in the hands of the players and coaches. That’s exactly what seemed to happen. 

But yes, playing was an option. No one was being forced to play however. Why is this even an issue? No one needs any criticism here. There’s no reason for this discussion. A players life hopefully was saved after a freak accident. 

The only issue I have is Troy Vincent who's representing the NFL, got on record saying they never spoke to ESPN about a 5 minute warmup and they have no idea where that news came from. Then ESPN releasing a statement saying they were in constant communication w/ league officials.  

He could have easily said these were uncharted waters and we didn't know what to do, we initially thought to have them take a break and then decided to leave it in the coaches hands, instead of lieing to make the league look better. I'm assuming ESPN is telling the truth here. 

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, Beck Water said:

A couple corrections here: 

1) you don't ease a patient back into normal brain activity. As long as the patient is able to protect their airway, you extubate. The longer someone is intubated the more chance of complications/mortality.

You reduce sedation at least once per day and test the pt's ability to respond. This is called a Spontaneous Awakening Trial, SAT. Are they able to follow commands? Does the patient get agitated and try to pull the ET tube out or other lines? How are their vitals when sedation is reduced? Does HR go too high? Respiratory rate? Oxygenation? There are many things a nurse is watching for during the SAT. If they fail, you resedate them.

If they pass the SAT, then a Spontaneous Breathing Trial is done, SBT. For this, all sedation meds need to be off, except for precedex which helps with anxiety. We then get the RT to change the vent settings and attempt to let the patient breath on their own. Again, watch heart rate, resp. rate oxygenation. If this is passed we inform the doctor. At this time the doctor usually talks with the RT and RN and asks if they recommend extubation. 

2) you don't gradually rewarm the patient. There is no time period for this. Once the hypothermia protocol is discontinued, you turn off and remove the cooling blankets and let the patient return to normal temperature prior to attempting the trials in my first point. You obviously want to do this well enough ahead of attempting to awake them for their comfort. It doesn't take a significant amount of time for temp to return to normal levels.

3) the NFL has no say in what treatment these players are getting. This is on the doctors and the protocols of the hospital he is at and where Everett and Shazier went. Hospitals have protocols that they follow that are based on "best practies." 24-48 hrs is standard for hypothermia protocol in a post-cardiac arrest/post code patient. We use 48 hours in the ICU I work at in Fresno, California. 

Edited by Herc11
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 6

16 minutes ago, Herc11 said:

A couple corrections here: 

1) you don't ease a patient back into normal brain activity. As long as the patient is able to protect their airway, you extubate. The longer someone is intubated the more chance of complications/mortality.

You reduce sedation at least once per day and test the pt's ability to respond. This is called a Spontaneous Awakening Trial, SAT. Are they able to follow commands? Does the patient get agitated and try to pull the ET tube out or other lines? How are their vitals when sedation is reduced? Does HR go too high? Respiratory rate? Oxygenation? There are many things a nurse is watching for during the SAT. If they fail, you resedate them.

If they pass the SAT, then a Spontaneous Breathing Trial is done, SBT. For this, all sedation meds need to be off, except for precedex which helps with anxiety. We then get the RT to change the vent settings and attempt to let the patient breath on their own. Again, watch heart rate, resp. rate oxygenation. If this is passed we inform the doctor. At this time the doctor usually talks with the RT and RN and asks if they recommend extubation. 

2) you don't gradually rewarm the patient. There is no time period for this. Once the hypothermia protocol is discontinued, you turn off and remove the cooling blankets and let the patient return to normal temperature prior to attempting the trials in my first point. You obviously want to do this well enough ahead of attempting to awake them for their comfort. It doesn't take a significant amount of time for temp to return to normal levels.

3) the NFL has no say in what treatment these players are getting. This is on the doctors and the protocols of the hospital he is at and where Everett and Shazier went. Hospitals have protocols that they follow that are based on "best practies." 24-48 hrs is standard for hypothermia protocol in a post-cardiac arrest/post code patient. We use 48 hours in the ICU I work at in Fresno, California. 

What drugs are used for sedation? And how often are they administered? Appreciate the insight 

12 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

What drugs are used for sedation? And how often are they administered? Appreciate the insight 

Depends on the doctor to be honest some doctors have preferences which drugs they like to order. Also depends on other factors with the patient.

1) Propfol is common, but is lipid based. Prolonged use or high levels can cause your lipid levels to sky rocket. Propofol is purely to put you to sleep. Works fast and wears off fast. Referred to as milk of amnesia cause it looks like milk. Also, its what Michael Jackson's doctor gave him that killed him. Patients will say they never slept so good as when they were on it. Well Mike had his personal MD give it to him as a sleep aid and he gave him too much.

2) Fentanyl is commonly used in conjunction with the sedative as it will keep the patient comfortable. It will also help reduce the patients respiratory drive if the patient is breathing against the ventilator.

3) Versed is sometimes used in place of propofol, but takes a prolonged amount of time to clear the system and makes it difficult to assess brain activity.

4) ketamine is sometimes used but require high volumes of fluids which you want to be cautious of if there are kidney issues. You don't want to fluid overload the patient.

5) precedex is commonly used in conjunction with fentanyl too. However, its what I refer to as a light sedative and/or anxiolytic. Its the only one that the patient can be on during the SBT and after extubation because it doesn't reduce respiratory drive. Although it can reduce HR and cause bradycardia which is HR <60

These are some of the most common. They are run on a continuous rate that the RN will titrate to meet the goals of sedation.

Edited by Herc11
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.