Damar Hamlin - Now (1/11/2023) discharged from Buf Gen & “recovering at home”

SDS

31 minutes ago, finn said:

I'm affected, too, and I wonder why I feel more emotional about this event than the countless other tragedies I read about all the time. Why this one? It's not just me and us; the whole country seems to be in distress. 

part is that the tragedy is ongoing until we know if he will live. There’s not even superficial levels of closure yet. We aren’t wired to eee catastrophe and then have no resolution or activity. It’s hard but it’s human to be uncomfortable in limbo of helplessness 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Please share my thoughts with your board. I’ve followed the Bills since opening day 1960.  In that time I’ve never seen another team and it’s fans show anywhere near the compassion shown by the Bengals and their fans as has been shown since last night.  Sincere thanks to you all.

Will do. 

13 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Bengals seem like a pure class organization.

From coach Taylor , to the players and to the fans.

If bills don’t win the SB, will definitely be pulling for the Bengals 

Agree 100%. If it isn’t the Bills this year, I’m rooting for Cinci all the way. There are so many connections, Cinci and us are like sibling rivals. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Bengalholic said:

Just wanted to stop in and share my best wishes - on behalf of myself and The Bengals Board - for Damar and his family. My heart goes out to them...as well as his coaches, teammates and Bills fans everywhere. It was an absolutely heartbreaking thing to witness, and I hope there is some positive news coming at some point soon.

Thank you for your kindness, thoughtfulness and class which was on display in grand fashion last night from the fans in the stadium to the medical professionals at the stadium and at the UC Medical Center to the coaches, players and entire Bengals team. I have a massive newfound respect for Zac Taylor.

Was awesome to see Bills and Bengals fans unite both at the stadium as it was happening and afterwards at the vigil in front of the hospital. It truly showed the best of humanity in the moment. It was awesome to see Taylor and McDermott come together to basically tell the officials and NFL that they were done playing football tonight and then take their teams off the field. And it was awesome to see the outpouring of support for Hamlin's charity from across the NFL after BillsMafia has donated to so many other teams player charities throughout the years(starting with Dalton and Boyd).

Some things are more important than playing football and rivalries and playoff seedings.

I don't know what's going to happen the rest of the season in terms of if this game is going to get played, or even if the Bills will play again this season. Depending on how things turn out I don't think it's a foregone conclusion they will just be right back at it, but if the Bills don't make it this year, I will be rooting hard for the Bengals.

I actually lived in the Cincy area for a little over a year way back in the day...east of the city, I believe Mount Washington maybe? Worked in Kenwood at first, then Eastgate, then moved north to Franklin and started working in downtown Cincy...it was a cool place...I liked my time there. Other than my time at a Reds game once when it was 97 and super humid out and our seats were down the first base line in full sun...lasted maybe 3 innings 😂

• Like (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, finn said:

I'm affected, too, and I wonder why I feel more emotional about this event than the countless other tragedies I read about all the time. Why this one? It's not just me and us; the whole country seems to be in distress. 

It was scary at first and then watching the 1000 mile stare, tears and fear in Josh Allens eyes made this situation traumatic for me.  I'll never forget the worry and concern from those eyes.  Scary stuff man.  Prayers up to Hamlin, his family, friends and the entire Bills Organization and community.  

• Agree 2

14 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Bengals seem like a pure class organization.

From coach Taylor , to the players and to the fans.

If bills don’t win the SB, will definitely be pulling for the Bengals 

I totally agree with this post. I have mixed emotions because they are the bungles, but man they handled that with class. I have a feeling Coach McDermott tried to rally the troops. Even Steph tried to get them going. I think even with blood in the water, Taylor…… speculating here, I think he saw the pain, went to McD and said let’s end this. If so hats off to the entire organization and especially Taylor for recognizing the moment.

• Like (+1) 5

41 minutes ago, finn said:

Witnessing it on live TV playing out right before your eyes is always more graphic and emotionally taxing than simply reading about it. 

Also realizing that those type of hits happen multiple times every game without causing any issues makes you realize just how dangerous things came be.

Additionally there is no outcome...we don't know how things will turn out...his life is hanging in the balance right now 

Edited by Big Turk
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, NC-billsfan! said:

I totally agree with this post. I have mixed emotions because they are the bungles, but man they handled that with class. I have a feeling Coach McDermott tried to rally the troops. Even Steph tried to get them going. I think even with blood in the water, Taylor…… speculating here, I think he saw the pain, went to McD and said let’s end this. If so hats off to the entire organization and especially Taylor for recognizing the moment.

Zac went to the hospital as well. I think he and McDermott are both class acts.

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, finn said:

I think as seasoned football fans you're used to certain scripts playing out. The scene we've seen so many times of the player being immobilized as the players of both teams kneel in prayer. then the cart leaves the field and often the injured player gives a thumbs up to show he has movement. The crowd cheers and the players feel they can continue knowing their guy has some movement at least.

Last night I was expecting to see the same scene, then they showed Josh with that look of horror mixed with worry mixed with shock, plus the tears in the eyes. Then they showed Diggs and White in tears. That was such a powerful image and something I haven't seen before that it really hit me.

Finally those words from Buck about them administering CPR. That was so surreal and was the moment when I was thinking "Jesus, this young man is literally dying in front of his teammates". 

The whole thing was just so surreal and disturbing, not just for Bills fans but for anyone watching. It's amazing how you can go from being so pumped about the game and so rabid about every mistake or big play your team makes out there to literally not giving a damn about plays or scores or standings

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

44 minutes ago, finn said:

Not too many people have watched someone die in front of them, be revived, have them then fight for their life … and simultaneously watch an entire group of people that love him cathartically react to what’s going on.  

By now, almost everyone in the country has watched that play out on television … live television for many of us. 

That is incredibly raw, heartbreaking and unprecedented. 

I remember when this happened during the Euro’s but even then, there was word that Eriksen was alert as they left the stadium.  

Let’s all pray Hamlin is able to follow Eriksen and return to the game he loves.  

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Please share my thoughts with your board. I’ve followed the Bills since opening day 1960.  In that time I’ve never seen another team and it’s fans show anywhere near the compassion shown by the Bengals and their fans as has been shown since last night.  Sincere thanks to you all.

I mean this not as a knock on the bengals but a compliment to humanity: I think all 32 franchises and fans would respond similarly 

they have been great though. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Not too many people have watched someone die in front of them, be revived, have them then fight for their life … and simultaneously watch an entire group of people that love him cathartically react to what’s going on.  

By now, almost everyone in the country has watched that play out on television … live television for many of us. 

That is incredibly raw, heartbreaking and unprecedented. 

I remember when this happened during the Euro’s but even then, there was word that Eriksen was alert as they left the stadium.  

Let’s all pray Hamlin is able to follow Eriksen and return to the game he loves.  

True though I have especially the last couple years... people i know, didnt know... yet somehow this incident has hit a spot in my heart.. it hurts and I flashed through a lot of faces of those that I watched pass... be well Damar.

Edited by North Buffalo
  • Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Toledo Bill said:

I remember thinking before the game (and I think many others thought so) that they were an arrogant, unlikeable group. This is a lesson in being too quick to judge.

I shudder at the thought of what would have happened in Philly!

Cincy are class

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.