Damar Hamlin - Now (1/11/2023) discharged from Buf Gen & “recovering at home”

SDS

I really appreciate how much the NFL has gotten behind Damar Hamlin and the Bills. Terrible situation that has shown the good (and bad) of humanity, the NFL and Bills Mafia. 

I keep hoping for good news. Certainly all the positive thoughts are there for Damar Hamlin.

Thanks TBD community for giving me an outlet for all this. This has been hard to watch and be a fan of the team and game during such a scary time 

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

While talking to docs in ER where I worked last night they too agreed it was a heart electrical issue brought on by timing of the hit to the chest... from one doc "this is a known risk with all contact sports". 

But I wanted to clarify... a vascular injury such an aortic dissection ( where the lining on the inside of aorta pulls away from the aortic wall) or an Aneurysm ( a weakening in the aortic wall) probably would have burst and Hamlin would no longer be with us...

Coronary blockages can cleaned out result heart attacks if not addressed..  Coronary arteries supply oxygenated blood to heart muscle... There are two nodes alongside the heart that control the contractions of the heart and when they get shocked it messes the rhythm up which is likely what happened to Damar... Older folks such as my Dad suffers from AFib and atrial flutter both signaling issues due to age... he has a pacemaker now and an aed built into it to keep his heart in rhythm.  

sorry, just not so.  for dissection (from Merck manual).  Not saying this what happened but it's certainly a possibility.  Look up the demographics (people who are most likely to get this):  

Prognosis for Aortic Dissection

About 20% of patients with aortic dissection die before reaching the hospital. Without treatment, mortality rate is 1 to 3%/hour during the first 24 hours, 30% at 1 week, 80% at 2 weeks, and 90% at 1 year.

Hospital mortality rate for treated patients is about 30% for proximal dissection and 10% for distal. For treated patients who survive the acute episode, survival rate is about 60% at 5 years and 40% at 10 years. About one third of late deaths are due to complications of the dissection; the rest are due to other disorders.

7 minutes ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

It's amazing how little I care about the rest of the season. If the Bills turned around and said our season is over, I would not care one bit. It's gonna be really tough to watch this team play football again.

I'm affected, too, and I wonder why I feel more emotional about this event than the countless other tragedies I read about all the time. Why this one? It's not just me and us; the whole country seems to be in distress. 

• Like (+1) 5

Just wanted to stop in and share my best wishes - on behalf of myself and The Bengals Board - for Damar and his family. My heart goes out to them...as well as his coaches, teammates and Bills fans everywhere. It was an absolutely heartbreaking thing to witness, and I hope there is some positive news coming at some point soon.

Edited by Bengalholic
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 43

I am so very indifferent right now to the results of the Bills' season and I suspect I will be until we know Damar is out of the woods and on his way to health.  I can't imagine how the players feel.  They're supposed to think about prepping for New England starting tomorrow, right?  With their brother potentially on his death bed?  

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, finn said:

I'm affected, too, and I wonder why I feel more emotional about this event than the countless other tragedies I read about all the time. Why this one? It's not just me and us; the whole country seems to be in distress. 

I think it’s because everyone watched it unfold live 

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

I am so very indifferent right now to the results of the Bills' season and I suspect I will be until we know Damar is out of the woods and on his way to health.  I can't imagine how the players feel.  They're supposed to think about prepping for New England starting tomorrow, right?  With their brother potentially on his death bed?  

At some point these are hyper competitive guys and many won’t want to stew in this - winning one for damar could quickly gain momentum in the room as both empowerment and distraction. Go out and compete is how plenty if these guys learned how to deal with tragedy through their lives.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, finn said:

Sitting there with my son last night who plays high-school football I was simply shook. I love football and love watching him play but I honestly had a moment where I thought I don't want him playing anymore. I know it's a rash of emotions in the moment but man I've been praying for number 3 hard. Just be ok bud, please come through and hopefully stronger then ever.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

sorry, just not so.  for dissection (from Merck manual).  Not saying this what happened but it's certainly a possibility.  Look up the demographics (people who are most likely to get this):  

Prognosis for Aortic Dissection

About 20% of patients with aortic dissection die before reaching the hospital. Without treatment, mortality rate is 1 to 3%/hour during the first 24 hours, 30% at 1 week, 80% at 2 weeks, and 90% at 1 year.

Hospital mortality rate for treated patients is about 30% for proximal dissection and 10% for distal. For treated patients who survive the acute episode, survival rate is about 60% at 5 years and 40% at 10 years. About one third of late deaths are due to complications of the dissection; the rest are due to other disorders.

Agree about survival rate but most dont happen due to trauma... PS I played hockey with a guy.. big George in his 60s wasnt feeling great one game left early... came back 2 weeks later crying he would never play again and his surgeon said one more hit and he'd have been dead.  

I have a pic too large to insert of a dissection I spotted doing a ct... pt came in complaining of upper abdomen pain... saw it and had to do another full chest abdomen pelvis... it was scary because part of the lower membrane burst and it was backfilling up the aorta...

16 minutes ago, Bengalholic said:

Just wanted to stop in and share my best wishes - on behalf of myself and The Bengals Board - for Damar and his family. My heart goes out to them...as well as his coaches, teammates and Bills fans everywhere. It was an absolutely heartbreaking thing to witness, and I hope there is some positive news coming at some point soon.

Bengals seem like a pure class organization.

From coach Taylor , to the players and to the fans.

If bills don’t win the SB, will definitely be pulling for the Bengals 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

It's amazing how little I care about the rest of the season. If the Bills turned around and said our season is over, I would not care one bit. It's gonna be really tough to watch this team play football again.

I felt like that last night, and if the team didn’t want to play, I would happily support that. If they try to play, and fall flat on their faces, I think everyone would understand. 

But I think given the adversity all season, this is a special and tight-knit team. I think they’ll want to band together and finish the season… and who knows what some extra inspiration will do?  I’m not expecting this by any stretch… but what an incredible story it would be to show them overcoming and winning the Super Bowl for Damar. 

18 minutes ago, Bengalholic said:

You guys have been nothing but class. Thank you 

• Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Bengalholic said:

Please share my thoughts with your board. I’ve followed the Bills since opening day 1960.  In that time I’ve never seen another team and it’s fans show anywhere near the compassion shown by the Bengals and their fans as has been shown since last night.  Sincere thanks to you all.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, finn said:

Seeing the trauma and emotion of the whole team, it was like a direct transmission of what they were feeling. In a way that's much stronger than can perhaps be had from reading about tragic events. 

• Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

9 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

I remember thinking before the game (and I think many others thought so) that they were an arrogant, unlikeable group. This is a lesson in being too quick to judge.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Our fan bases may have the best relationship in all of sports. It's very unfortunate that we have to share this current experience, but one thing's for sure...BillsMafia has the complete support of WhoDeyNation during this time, with what you guys are dealing with.

Just hoping that any upcoming news on Damar is positive and provides hope for a full recovery.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.