Damar Hamlin - Now (1/11/2023) discharged from Buf Gen & “recovering at home”

SDS

In over 50 years of Bills fandom, this is the most disturbing incident on the field in Bills history.  I'm praying this kid is ok.  I was in the stadium when Everett went down and it was scary, but we knew he'd live and face a long recovery. This is horrifying and I can't imagine the pain his family and the players are going through.  I don't think I've ever witnessed a Bills season with this much turmoil and this many obstacles.  If somehow this team perseveres and wins a Super Bowl, it will be truly astounding, given all that they have been through.  But 50+ years of waiting for this moment would mean nothing if Damar doesn't pull through. 

• Agree 2

Does anyone know how long his heart was stopped before the emergency crews restarted it on the field? That time interval could be crucial in whether he recovers brain function. In one study, people with cardiac arrest who survived with good brain function averaged about 13 minutes from the time their hearts stopped until the time they started up again. Those whose hearts stopped for longer periods had less positive outcomes, though even some in this group did do OK. https://www.webmd.com/heart/news/20131116/giving-cpr-for-more-than-30-minutes-may-be-worth-it

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

I am sorry for your loss, and clearly you went into a situation that is similar, where once the patient is in medical care, the family has no choice but to wait and pray for the best outcome while the hours tick by.

Medically, and I think this is important to note, this is NOT the same situation as your brother experienced, in a number of critical aspects.  I mean no disrespect, but this is a fraught time with everyone combing the interwebs for scraps of information, so I think it's important to point this out.

ok....

It is similar in that the same tests are being done. Intubated and induced coma with cooling of the body after breathing stopped, CPR started, and the help of breathing.  After 24 hours they will try and take him to see if his body/brain are able to be stable on its own.

But sure, keep trying to out smart someone on the interwebs.... 

• Like (+1) 4

CNN has some live updates from other teams as reaction to injury.

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/damar-hamlin-collapse-bills-bengals-game-intl-hnk/index.html

• Multiple NFL teams cancel Tuesday media availability plans after Hamlin collapse

One of those teams that moved forward was the Pittsburgh Steelers. Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin, currently speaking with reporters, said he has “got a lot of respect and love" for Hamlin. He’s known the Bills safety since Hamlin was around 12 years old, Tomlin said.

• NFL Players Association says its "focus remains on Damar"
  • Hamlin's 2020 GoFundMe toy drive crosses $4 million

3 minutes ago, CaliBills said:

ok....

It is similar in that the same tests are being done. Intubated and induced coma with cooling of the body after breathing stopped, CPR started, and the help of breathing.  After 24 hours they will try and take him to see if his body/brain are able to be stable on its own.

But sure, keep trying to out smart someone on the interwebs.... 

I'm sorry you took it that way.  I'm not trying to out-smart you, or anyone.

My point is that medically, there are a number of key differences between Hamlin's situation, and your brother's situation.

There are reports out there in Twitter, some of which have been copied here, about brain scans on Hamlin.  We don't know that Damar suffered a spinal cord injury or a brain injury.  We know nothing about the cause of Hamlin's cardiac arrest at this point, and medically, that matters a lot.  We know that he suffered a cardiac arrest, and that apparently current SOP is to chill the patient, sedate and ventilate them, and wait.

And again, I'm sorry for your loss. 

Edited by Beck Water
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, TampaBillsJunkie said:

In over 50 years of Bills fandom, this is the most disturbing incident on the field in Bills history.  I'm praying this kid is ok.  I was in the stadium when Everett went down and it was scary, but we knew he'd live and face a long recovery. This is horrifying and I can't imagine the pain his family and the players are going through.  I don't think I've ever witnessed a Bills season with this much turmoil and this many obstacles.  If somehow this team perseveres and wins a Super Bowl, it will be truly astounding, given all that they have been through.  But 50+ years of waiting for this moment would mean nothing if Damar doesn't pull through. 

The only thing I can compare this to watching live was the Clint Malarchuk incident with the Sabres...same type of desperation where every second counted with the medical professionals on the scene...same feeling in the pit of your stomach that made you want to vomit...same helplessness as a human being watching that...

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

The only thing I can compare this to watching live was the Clint Malarchuk incident with the Sabres...same type of desperation where every second counted with the medical professionals on the scene...same feeling in the pit of your stomach that made you want to vomit...same helplessness as a human being watching that...

Yes, that was a comparable situation that came to mind. I am glad I did not see that one live.

3 minutes ago, HalftimeAdjustment said:

Yes, that was a comparable situation that came to mind. I am glad I did not see that one live.

I was 12 or 13 at the time...I almost passed out and can remember RJ screaming to get the cameras off of him and not show the replay and that anyone who wanted to see it again was sick.

1 minute ago, Southern_Bills said:

Yeah, my wife is a cardiac nurse so I at least I have someone to ask about technical terminology. 

Worries me that it sounds like he is still on a defibrillator, but I don't know that he is, sounds like that's the case. But no solid information out yet, for obvious reasons. 

I don't think you meant a defibrillator. That would mean they have to constantly shock him to restart his heart. Ventilator maybe?

• Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I did not see that one live, but I did see when Richard Zednik caught a skate to the neck in Buffalo in 2008 or so.  It was a while before I could watch hockey again. 

3 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

Worries me that it sounds like he is still on a defibrillator, but I don't know that he is, sounds like that's the case. But no solid information out yet, for obvious reasons. 

Yeah, I don't think that's right. 

I'm proud of the reaction all around.  It might be obvious but remember yesterday was a critical game.  It had playoff implications for not just seeding, but for the division as Cincy has yet to clinch.  It was two powerhouses looking to slug it out.  It had everything.  The fallout of postponing it and most any solution could hurt both teams, teams that fought hard to get here.  Fans and players were deeply vested in this game.

...and none of that mattered.

Everyone, fans, players recognized the life of a single player meant more then all of that.  That is all that was important.  The game, it was just a game and would be dealt with later.  Fans didn't care if this cost the Bills the top seed.  He was (and is) all that mattered.  And there was an outpouring of support, even from rivals.

It's heartwarming to see.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.