Damar Hamlin - Now (1/11/2023) discharged from Buf Gen & “recovering at home”

SDS

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I don't think there is anyone who knows what is or isn't going to happen at this point. And if they do, what players decide they can't play anymore this year.

I’m sorry but I’m not going to argue with you and this will be my last post on this subject but the Bills will play again this year. Unfortunately, this is not unprecedented. Serious injuries and deaths have occurred in all sports and teams lace them back up. Loyola Marymount, NASCAR, the NFL, even the NHL. 

Edited by Beast
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, NUT said:

Agreed. I think McDermott and Pegula would be fine just taking an L. I think the Bills players and coaches are just not going to be at all interested in making up this game.

I have no interest in making this game up. They could not show up for the Pats, I don’t care honestly. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Locomark said:

Look at the replay. He got hit in the throat / neck area not the chest. Not saying you are wrong but look at what he got hit. My explanation makes perfect sense based on the location of the hit. Rupture or clock the airway would allow the air in your lounge enough air for you to stand and move a big before you pass out. Then lack of more oxygen flow would give you cardiac arrest. So they would need to get you airflow first and then cpr. We’ll see what they say but the hit location was not the chest or you would think we would be seeing them all the time. 

Square in the chest.

1F511623-A593-4351-BD85-5E89642D80D2.png

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Agree. I don't even care about football right now. I wouldn't care if the Bills don't take the field again this year.

I can't believe I just typed that but it's the truth.

100% with you  I was stunned & in shock sitting in the stands seeing pieces of his uniform and equipment getting thrown to the side as you could see them run & frantically perform CPR for what seemed like forever & a defibrillator being put back in the ambulance, then holding your breath waiting to see if they could even get him breathing enough to get him in the ambulance. I actually thought Oh My God he might not make it off the field. Then seeing the ambulance leave. I don't know if I can watch another game this year, so I don't know how those guys can take the field to play again this year. That was devastating to witness.

26 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

I can’t sleep until I know Damar Hamlin is gonna be okay. 

Doubt they will know much for awhile.  There may have been some damage to parts of his brain when he had trouble breathing.  All depends how effective the cpr was to keep oxygen supplied to his brain.  Likely some damage  but there is alot of redundant areas of the brain that may not cause any difficulty in a full recovery.  It depends on what part of brain was affected.  I had a stroke over 31 years ago and I lost the mobility of my left side  but I never lost my sense of touch so technically was paralyzed but I never considered myself as such.  I regained use of my left side through therapy and rehab.  I have no unexplainable gaps in my memories or things I've learned prior to my stroke, though if I had lost some memories I wouldn't know they were missing.  

So I truly pray that any damage that may have occurred happened to an area that his brain still hadn't been using or held no vital memories that the young man has.  If he simply loses some knowledge how to do things those can be relearned and basically a setback but not devastating like forgetting who loved ones are or memories that cannot be restored.  So my prayers are he has all the abilities and memories he had before this injury.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Locomark said:

Look at the replay. He got hit in the throat / neck area not the chest. Not saying you are wrong but look at what he got hit. My explanation makes perfect sense based on the location of the hit. Rupture or clock the airway would allow the air in your lounge enough air for you to stand and move a big before you pass out. Then lack of more oxygen flow would give you cardiac arrest. So they would need to get you airflow first and then cpr. We’ll see what they say but the hit location was not the chest or you would think we would be seeing them all the time. 

interesting civilized discussion here, so thanks to you both.  Good points in both places.  I do know that sports like lacrosse have made equipment stronger to protect heart issues from trauma, but at the same time the sequence of events with standing up, etc, I’m not sure is indicative of that.  

1 minute ago, What a Tuel said:

I think people are slightly concerned its an enormous amount of money that may go to a cause that doesn't need an enormous amount of money and that if Hamlin were able to direct it to something else, he might. But as you say, it will surely be put to good use.

I trust in the good of people in cases like this. Go Fund Me is as legit it gets. I believe without any doubt that all of the money will be used appropriately. I never would have considered otherwise. If someone would prefer to wait to donate that's fine, but capturing people's generosity at a unique tragic moment like this can not in any way be construed negatively.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, DrDare said:

Yes, I saw it as he was making a rhetorical point.

The games will be rescheduled and the players can either forfeit or rally. But still, both would be understandable.

How exactly with a week left that does not affect playoff games?

if they play Wednesday/ Thursday they can’t play Sunday which then can cause problems in competitive balance.

3 minutes ago, Governor said:

McD will do the right thing and insist on the forfeit. You can’t punish the other team.

If it’s not played I think it goes as a tie or something.  That freak hit which never happened before in the NFL could have happened at any point to any player/team.  

Just now, steven50 said:

I don't think I have ever seen a team go through all things the Bills have had to deal with this year. Between blizzards, star players with injuries out for extended periods and now this.

No can say these guys are not tough.

So much adversity.  They have to have over come so many obstacles.  If they do win the Super Bowl, they will have truly earned it 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.