Damar Hamlin - Now (1/11/2023) discharged from Buf Gen & “recovering at home”

SDS

My prayers for Demar Hamlin and his family.  This was so strange.  The tackle looked routine.   There was some impact as Higgins lowered his head, but to this degree of damage is hard to understand.  I've seen this once before in professional football where Tom Pate of the Saskatchewan Roughriders died on the field at Ivor Wynne stadium in Hamilton against the Tiger Cats about 50 years ago.  In this case I strongly feel Demar will make a recovery.  If anything is of benefit it is NFL players' superior physical conditioning.   I'm not going to think any other way.  

Please stop replying to ignorant posts. It only makes our job harder. If you feel the need to do something then report the post.

We are actively monitoring the thread right now and making decisions when necessary.

Again. Stop replying to these posts.

• Like (+1) 15
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 16

1 minute ago, Saint Doug said:

Was discussing with wife. We’re both physicians and this is what we think as well . One moment talking to teammates and the next, on the ground. Aortic rupture/dissection is likely - something caused blood from reaching the brain quickly. V fib from a hit to chest wouldn’t have been delayed. 

Is that better for his chances?

1 minute ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Yeah I've read that too. It was in regard to these medical TV shows that show doc giving CPR and patient comes back and everything is fine.  But read that in real life, much rarer outcome.

it's actually not that rare in young, otherwise healthy people with heart rhythm problems.  The worrisome finding is that he might not be breathing spontaneously.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

Just take a look at what time the injury occurred, and what time the league called it.  It's readily apparent what the league was thinking.

what time did they call it internally? 

diggs was already in a towel before you and I got the announcement. 

• Vomit 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

they are also the only ones who actually have to make the call and send logistics through a full chain of people for approval and execution in real time.

”hey let them stretch while we get real time updates” isn’t crazy. Hell, goodell knew less than the coaches in that moment. 

the nfl made the right call tonight, even if not movie script perfect in getting there. It’s easy to want to be angry at someone but no one truly did anything wrong tonight it seems. 

The biggest issue from the NFL point of view was "give them five minutes and get playing". It may not have been head office that made that call; it may have been the officials trying to react in the moment. But it was not a good look.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, ToGoGo said:

Why are we even talking the Bills forfeiting? 

It seems like the most simple path, and it is. 

But it’s wrong on many, many levels for the Bills to be punished because it happened to their player, and it’s just as wrong for the guilt trip decision to be offered to Buffalo of “Do you want to forfeit?”

For whatever integrity this league and this game still might have, they have to figure out the logistics of this somehow. 

What they do in response to this will genuinely impact the future of the league. 

3 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

they are also the only ones who actually have to make the call and send logistics through a full chain of people for approval and execution in real time.

”hey let them stretch while we get real time updates” isn’t crazy. Hell, goodell knew less than the coaches in that moment. 

the nfl made the right call tonight, even if not movie script perfect in getting there. It’s easy to want to be angry at someone but no one truly did anything wrong tonight it seems. 

They were probably giving themselves a chance to hear if they were able to stabilize damar in the hospital.  Not saying that was the right thing to do but it’s my best guess.

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

1 hour ago, VaMilBill said:

I was a little young to remember, but this seems worse than that. Am I wrong?

You are not wrong.  The question with Kevin Everett was, would he walk again

The question with Damar Hamlin is will he live, will he breathe on his own again

Edited by Beck Water
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, The Red King said:

Why didn't you quote the end of my messsge?  After pointing out it's going to be a nightmare for the NFL, I pointed out that isn't what matters here.

If they can make it happen they will. 

if not they will cancel and it’s no nightmare - just a 16 game season. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.