Damar Hamlin - Now (1/11/2023) discharged from Buf Gen & “recovering at home”

SDS

1 minute ago, first_and_ten said:

NFL CANNOT CONTINUE THIS GAME!!!!!!

I agree, I am not a religious man, but my heart is broken for him and his loved ones, 

1 minute ago, SirAndrew said:

ESPN crew should probably send prayers and thoughts to Damar and his family, and cut the awkward chat at this point. 

I feel for the ESPN crew here. They're basically expected to continue without any reference points. They can hardly say "let's recap the weekend's games" or show replays at the moment. If the NFL pulled the game they could go off air.

Prayers for Damar.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

This actually reminds me more of the Chris Pronger incident where he took a shot to the chest that stopped his heart, tracks with Higgins helmet to the chest.

The silver lining is that, once restarted, the heart is usually fine and Pronger went on to play a long time after the incident even.

2 minutes ago, appoo said:

I can’t believe the NFL tried to make them play after five ***** minutes of warm up. Are you ***** kidding me

I totally believe it and am still very concerned they will make the Bills either forfeit or go back out. NFL should just make the call to cancel 

2 minutes ago, Iverwig said:

On the flip side God forbid he did pass away I can’t imagine they would allow his mother to ride in the ambulance. 

If it’s a ride in to declare it, you absolutely would.  I hope they have him stable and that’s why they waited, but I don’t feel good about that.

2 minutes ago, Ray Stonada said:

A heart surgeon in my family, he just sent this :

“Well he had cardiac arrest, which is like being dead. But it seems CPR was successful enough that they took him off on an ambulance. Likely an arrhythmia from which he should recover.”

hope the heart surgeon is right.  Prayers for the young man.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He has a pulse but can’t breathe. I wonder if it’s not heart related but respiratory.

The heart and breathing are both controlled by the same area in the neck, the brain stem.  The cerebellum, just above it, controls balance.

So given that his neck snapped back on the tackle, that he initially stood up, and then collapsed, it sounds pretty likely he sustained an injury to that area and they were able to get the heart restarted but not his respiration.

In other words, both related to trauma to that area, but that’s where I go “full stop” with any speculation.

I’m with the other people who say I would have no problem at all with the Bills taking the “L” and just focusing on praying for their brother.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Puts things in perspective.  In the end, it's a game.  And yes, I know I've gotten emotionally vested.

I know I'll care about the Bills tomorrow.  But today?  I went from "You gotta be kidding me!  Another injury?!?" to "Holy s***, I hope he'd okay.  That's all that matters."

My god...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

Just puts things into perspective.  I’ve joked sometimes that I come to these forums as therapy for the ridiculously crazy game day hot takes.

But man whether you’re an all pro or the guy that consistently blows coverage every single person that steps on that field puts their life or quality of life on the line.

They all deserve a significant level of respect for that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.