Damar Hamlin - Now (1/11/2023) discharged from Buf Gen & “recovering at home”

SDS

30 minutes ago, Awwufelloff said:

A comparable example in the NHL. Took a slapshot to chest. He got up and passed right out like Damar did. Those of you that don't follow hockey, Pronger was the biggest and baddest dude around. He was 6'6'' 225 lbs.

Pray Hamlin can recover like Pronger did.  It appears to be a very similar situation.

• Agree 1

The lack of updates are frustrating but the only people who really have any right to know are his doctors and family. But it’s still tough. 

Huge heartfelt props to the city of Cincinnati, the team and coach, the medical staff who raced to try to save him, and the fans who had to be disappointed about a stupid game but all seemed to realize that’s what it is - a game. I think we’ve formally solidified an already present kinship between Buffalo and Cincinnati. 

I just keep thinking that as much as we watch these guys absolutely dominate athletically week after week, he is only 24 ***** years old. 

This was just a rambling post. That’s all I got right now.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

We don't know the details of the medical personnel and trainers who assisted Damar last night.

These men and women are highly trained and from the reports they were quick to act.

Unlike other medical professionals who deal with these emergencies daily, this had to be traumatic for them being thrust into last night's situation.

I also imagine the Bengals Trainers and Medical Staff were involved.

I just wanted to acknowledge and thank them in total as I looked up their names on the Bills website.

Athletic Trainers:

Nate Breske: Head Athletic Trainer

Denny Kellington: Assistant Athletic Trainer

Joe Micca: Rehabilitation Coordinator - Physical Therapist

Tabani Richards: Assistant Athletic Trainer

Also, we don't know which team physicians were present for the road game.

Medical Staff

Dr. Leslie Bisson: Medical Director

Dr. Andrew Cappuccino: Team Orthopedist - Spine

Dr. Marc Fineberg: Team Orthopedist

Dr. Mark Kim: Team Internist

Dr. Tom White: Team Internist

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

15 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah it's an injury most associated with baseball because players don't pad up.   You can buy shirts with a special circular series of pads in the center of the chest.   I made my youngest wear one but never told him why.   Didn't figure anything good could come out of making him scared of the ball.    Still no guarantee of safety.   Instant death on the field from this among children in youth baseball is not as uncommon as you'd think.   

My son was at a tournament in eastern Long Island when he was about 15-16 and one of the coaches for one of the many teams there died during pre-game batting practice because of a line drive to the chest.  Cardiac arrest.

Whoops - edit: it was a hit to the head: https://nypost.com/2014/09/21/dad-dies-after-getting-hit-with-baseball-before-sons-game/

Edited by dave mcbride

16 minutes ago, Nuncha said:

Pray Hamlin can recover like Pronger did.  It appears to be a very similar situation.

It was very similar but I don’t think Bills players received a positive response from Hamlin as the Blues players received from Pronger. Hamlin wasn’t breathing on his own.

Right now we just wait until they wake him from the induced coma. I’ve read they wait 24hrs from when the coma was induced as procedure. So we won’t have any news until early tomorrow morning. 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, LDD said:

Does this make sense?  Can anyone with knowledge of these procedures weigh in on this?  

They sedate you to put a breathing tube in so you don’t fight the procedure.  The sedation also lessens the workload on the brain.  The critical thing will be if he regains spontaneous respiration’s when they remove the tube.

• Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, Bills1717 said:

How are we still playing this game?  Is he alive?   Holy crap; this is awful 

I don't see how the game will ever be played.  It's been ruled out this week, and I can't see the league moving the playoffs back a week just squeeze it in.  There is no way they could squeeze the game in between week 18 and wild card weekend without moving the playoffs back, because at least one of the two teams is going to have to play in wild card weekend.  Maybe Sean McDermott can have a wrestling match with Zac Taylor to determine the winner.  (sarcasm alert)

Edited by BigAl2526
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

They sedate you to put a breathing tube in so you don’t fight the procedure.  The sedation also lessens the workload on the brain.  The critical thing will be if he regains spontaneous respiration’s when they remove the tube.

NFL Network just had an interview with an emergency care dr from LA about this.  She said that the first priority is the brain - getting blood flow back and increasing the chances for normal function.  So restarting the heart ASAP after the arrest, then sedating & cooling the body to reduce the metabolism and activity of the brain to maximize potential for a desirable outcome. 

1 hour ago, CaliBills said:

Last August, My family went through this exact situation with my younger brother who stopped breathing in the early AM due to swelling in his spinal cord caused by a recent emergency neck surgery that they needed to put disks in.  He also had sleep apnea.  So the combination caused him to stop breathing and the Ambulance was called. Unfortunately, CPR was not started until minutes after the 911 called..  and he was then intubated and induced into a coma so they can allow the body/brain to heal, etc.. 24 hours had to go by before the next test.

Tonight, when they take Damar out of the induced coma, they are hoping his body can remain stable from a functioning standpoint, heart beating, lungs, etc.  

My brother, had seizures immediately upon waking up, so they had to put him back into a coma and run a brain scan.  That is when we found out he was considered to have no brain activity and as a family decided to let him go.  

Last night, seeing the players/coaches/this feed, made memories come flooding back.  It was a difficult night for us all but I can only hope his family stays positive and no matter what happens, to remember what Damar would have wanted in all of this.

I hope he comes out unscathed and he can be with his family for the foreseeable future.

Sorry for your loss 

Here is something else nobody really thinks of...

How often is that AED equipment actually checked?  God forbid what would have happened if the equipment wasn't charged or it was faulty due to not being checked for months or years?  Are those things regularly inspected?  IMHO, if it isn't being done already, that should be a required thing to have functioning prior to a game being allowed to start now.

25 minutes ago, LDD said:

Does this make sense?  Can anyone with knowledge of these procedures weigh in on this?  

I can try very briefly.  We have far more knowledgeable people here who are likely busy treating patients but I have full confidence will nonetheless put me right if I'm wrong.

-For certain emergency conditions, including neurological trauma AND cardiac arrest (heart stoppage), one protocol calls for chilling the patient's body for 24 hrs

-The patient is then re-warmed over 12-20 hrs

-To accomplish this, the patient is sedated and put on a ventilator, which breathes for them. 

-While they're sedated and ventilated, we get none, zero, no info about their ability to breathe on their own, their neurological function and so forth, because, we're not talking give them a little Valium - this is serious, OR-grade sedation

So if this is the protocol being followed, doing the math, 24 + 12 or 20, we would expect no "good news" updates about Hamlin for at LEAST 36-44 hrs, until Weds morning or afternoon.  If you are stressed out and unable to eat or sleep, Please, for your health, take a walk, go look at your favorite view, pat some grass, eat a ***** snack, and take a nap.

By the way, the protocols I've found on this procedure (new since my decades-old time in the ER) all state that no alteration of care or decision based on the patient's neurological status should be made for 72 hrs after the cooling and re-warming protocols are completed - which is why that Twitter dudes "update" is to be disregarded and treated with the respect it deserves 💩

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

NFL Network just had an interview with an emergency care dr from LA about this.  She said that the first priority is the brain - getting blood flow back and increasing the chances for normal function.  So restarting the heart ASAP after the arrest, then sedating & cooling the body to reduce the metabolism and activity of the brain to maximize potential for a desirable outcome. 

Yeah. I just read this. So now we just wait.

People do not always respond right away to the procedure. It may take a couple of days. Healthcare providers often wait at least 3 days after the procedure to see how the cardiac arrest affected the brain. The procedure does not guarantee that you will regain brain function.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/treatment-tests-and-therapies/therapeutic-hypothermia-after-cardiac-arrest

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Beck Water said:

I can try very briefly.  We have far more knowledgeable people here who are likely busy treating patients but I have full confidence will nonetheless put me right if I'm wrong.

-For certain emergency conditions, including neurological trauma AND cardiac arrest (heart stoppage), one protocol calls for chilling the patient's body for 24 hrs

-The patient is then re-warmed over 12-20 hrs

-To accomplish this, the patient is sedated and put on a ventilator, which breathes for them. 

-While they're sedated and ventilated, we get none, zero, no info about their ability to breathe on their own, their neurological function and so forth, because, we're not talking give them a little Valium - this is serious, OR-grade sedation

So if this is the protocol being followed, doing the math, 24 + 12 or 20, we would expect no "good news" updates about Hamlin for at LEAST 36-44 hrs, until Weds morning or afternoon.  If you are stressed out and unable to eat or sleep, Please, for your health, take a walk, go look at your favorite view, pat some grass, eat a ***** snack, and take a nap.

By the way, the protocols I've found on this procedure (new since my decades-old time in the ER) all state that no alteration of care or decision based on the patient's neurological status should be made for 72 hrs after the cooling and re-warming protocols are completed - which is why that Twitter dudes "update" is to be disregarded and treated with the respect it deserves 💩

Haven't looked forward to this Sabres game tonight as a much needed distraction in a long time.

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Here is something else nobody really thinks of...

How often is that AED equipment actually checked?  God forbid what would have happened if the equipment wasn't charged or it was faulty due to not being checked for months or years?  Are those things regularly inspected?  IMHO, if it isn't being done already, that should be a required thing to have functioning prior to a game being allowed to start now.

A few years ago, I ensured we had one at our little league. Our local hospital donated one. 
We inspect it once a year, before the season starts. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.