Buffalo style recipes

Simon

Just polished off a comically large plate of Buffalo chicken spaghetti and it got me thinking that maybe folks would like a thread to give and take Buffalo style recipes? I'll start:

Brine a pound or two of chicken

(If you don't brine, start immediately. It's fast, easy and pays off huge. My go-to is 4 C of water and about 1/3 C of seasoning in a gallon bag with the chicken; leave it in the fridge overnight. Of that 1/3 C of seasoning at least half should be straight salt as it helps everything to penetrate the chicken throughout; for this recipe I'd go half salt and then half a mix of cayenne, garlic and whatever else you think goes good with Buffalo chicken. Adding some white vinegar to the brine is rarely a bad idea as it penetrates even better)

Cook your chicken the next day (I sous vide at 148 for an hour or two to retain the chicken's moisture)and then shred it all when its done.

Put the chicken in a saucepot (or crockpot) with the following:

1C of chicken stock (you can increase this if you prefer your sauce thinner)

8oz cream cheese

1/2 C Red Hot

1/2 C good Ranch dressing 

(I take a measuring Cup and fill it with half Franks and half Ranch; you can alter this ratio either way to make it spicier if your peeps like the heat or less spicy if you're serving young'uns)

2 Tsp heavy cream

2 Tsp butter

Let that simmer for a while and then pour an unhealthy dose over a plate of spaghetti.

Eat until you're ill.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Seems like a thinner version of Buffalo chicken dip?

It's in the neighborhood but a good dip also has a bunch of cheddar, some velveeta and lots more cream cheese but has no stock or heavy cream.

Putting this version on pasta definitely gives it both a different flavor and texture. While I can only eat the dip for a while before I'm sick of it, I can inhale ridiculous amounts of this sauce and only want more. Which I guess would make the chicken dip like bourbon and the spaghetti sauce like cocaine. :lol:

• Thank you (+1) 1

Do you all know what Cornell chicken is? It is a WNY staple at Firemans Fundraiser BBQ's and it is delicious. Definitely a WNY recipe I remember from when I lived there

Cornell Chicken Recipe (allrecipes.com)

Ingredients

2 cups cider vinegar

1 cup vegetable oil

1 large egg

3 tablespoons salt

1 tablespoon poultry seasoning

½ teaspoon ground black pepper

1 (3 to 3 1/2 pound) broiler-fryer chicken, cut in half

Directions

Purée cider vinegar, oil, egg, salt, poultry seasoning, and pepper in a blender until smooth.

Pour marinade into a resealable plastic bag. Add chicken halves, coat with marinade, squeeze out excess air, and seal the bag. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight.

Preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat and lightly oil the grate.

Remove chicken halves from the bag and transfer to a paper towel-lined baking sheet. Pat chicken dry with more paper towels. Reserve marinade.

Place chicken, skin-side down, onto the preheated grill over direct heat. Grill for 2 minutes, then turn each piece, brush with marinade, and move to indirect heat. Continue to cook, turning often and brushing with marinade, until nicely browned and meat is no longer pink in the center, about 45 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh, near the bone, should read 165 degrees F (74 degrees C). Let rest for 5 to 10 minutes before slicing.

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, Simon said:

It's in the neighborhood but a good dip also has a bunch of cheddar, some velveeta and lots more cream cheese but has no stock or heavy cream.

Putting this version on pasta definitely gives it both a different flavor and texture. While I can only eat the dip for a while before I'm sick of it, I can inhale ridiculous amounts of this sauce and only want more. Which I guess would make the chicken dip like bourbon and the spaghetti sauce like cocaine. :lol:

haha— I am going to have to try this. I bet my kids will love it too. 

the other recipe I think of when I think of WNY is our version of pasta salad. My mom who was born and raised in Buffalo always made it this way. And Ive seen it served this way at WNY restaurants

WNY Pasta Salad. This is from memory It is basically

cooked elbow Macaroni

Hard Boiled eggs chopped

chopped celery and onion

Mayonnaise

salt-pepper

canned tuna fish

paprika on top as garnish

well chilled and serve cold

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, muppy said:

the other recipe I think of when I think of WNY is our version of pasta salad. My mom who was born and raised in Buffalo always made it this way. And Ive seen it served this way at WNY restaurants

WNY Pasta Salad. This is from memory It is basically

cooked elbow Macaroni

Hard Boiled eggs chopped

chopped celery and onion

Mayonnaise

salt-pepper

canned tuna fish

paprika on top as garnish

well chilled and serve cold

We call that "macaroni salad," where I come from.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, muppy said:

YEP that's true actually. do you use mustard or pickles in yours?

I do not, although I'd be fine trying it if someone else made it that way.  I actually like peas in mine.

On 1/2/2023 at 6:53 PM, Simon said:

Just polished off a comically large plate of Buffalo chicken spaghetti and it got me thinking that maybe folks would like a thread to give and take Buffalo style recipes? I'll start:

Brine a pound or two of chicken

(If you don't brine, start immediately. It's fast, easy and pays off huge. My go-to is 4 C of water and about 1/3 C of seasoning in a gallon bag with the chicken; leave it in the fridge overnight. Of that 1/3 C of seasoning at least half should be straight salt as it helps everything to penetrate the chicken throughout; for this recipe I'd go half salt and then half a mix of cayenne, garlic and whatever else you think goes good with Buffalo chicken. Adding some white vinegar to the brine is rarely a bad idea as it penetrates even better)

Cook your chicken the next day (I sous vide at 148 for an hour or two to retain the chicken's moisture)and then shred it all when its done.

Put the chicken in a saucepot (or crockpot) with the following:

1C of chicken stock (you can increase this if you prefer your sauce thinner)

8oz cream cheese

1/2 C Red Hot

1/2 C good Ranch dressing 

(I take a measuring Cup and fill it with half Franks and half Ranch; you can alter this ratio either way to make it spicier if your peeps like the heat or less spicy if you're serving young'uns)

2 Tsp heavy cream

2 Tsp butter

Let that simmer for a while and then pour an unhealthy dose over a plate of spaghetti.

Eat until you're ill.

Will you please promise to never do this again?  

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2023 at 1:27 PM, muppy said:

YEP that's true actually. do you use mustard or pickles in yours?

Everything is better with Dijon.   I lose the eggs and add Dijon and dill pickles in my macaroni/pasta salad.   Tuna is optional.

43 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Planning to make a home made Bleu Cheese dressing, see some recipes online, but I thought I'd ask if anyone has a quality Buffalo style Bleu Cheese dressing recipe(similar to Rootie's)

Marie's refrigerated bleu cheese dressing is better than I could make, and it's way easier.

15 hours ago, SoTier said:

Everything is better with Dijon.   I lose the eggs and add Dijon and dill pickles in my macaroni/pasta salad.   Tuna is optional.

Marie's refrigerated bleu cheese dressing is better than I could make, and it's way easier.

OMG...I found a simple but really good recipe...did not know how easy it was to make.

I think it hinges on the Bleu Cheese...ended up catching a great deal on Blue Jay which is phenomenal...

Basically it's just mayo, sour cream and Bleu cheese with a splash of lemon juice and a splash of milk/buttermilk added...

Best bleu cheese I ever had, and I LOVE Bleu cheese and am super picky about what I eat.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/14/2023 at 3:15 PM, Big Turk said:

OMG...I found a simple but really good recipe...did not know how easy it was to make.

I think it hinges on the Bleu Cheese...ended up catching a great deal on Blue Jay which is phenomenal...

Basically it's just mayo, sour cream and Bleu cheese with a splash of lemon juice and a splash of milk/buttermilk added...

Best bleu cheese I ever had, and I LOVE Bleu cheese and am super picky about what I eat.

Ever try Maytag blue cheese?

https://maytagdairyfarms.com/about-the-cheese/blue

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Anyone have any tips for Beef on Weck?   Attempting it for the first time for the game Sunday and my Grandmother/Mother's recipe really isn't authentic Buffalo Style .   I've googled a few things but thought I'd check here to see if anyone has a family recipe similar to what they do at Charlie the Butcher or Schewbels.

LMAO! Love it! To answer your question. Schwabl's, yes, comes the closest because they use a light gravy. But most of the other suburban places don't do it like the original.

The closet to authentic style is Schwabl's & Wiechec's (lounge/bar in Kaisertown)... That's the original recipe I listed in the Orlando thread.  Charlie the Butcher and Bar-Bill aren't totally authentic... 

Oh... Use corn starch instead of flour, you won't get lumps.😉 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.