Weather report- Bills @ Bengals

NewEra

35 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

He was over rated and was rather bad in the post season. 

Overrated-  lol. He was a very good player from 86-90 (his career changed after the 1990 championship season due to injury).  

He played in the playoffs 3 times in his 17 year career.  The 2nd time he made the playoffs he was 35 and recovering from cancer.  3rd time he was 38.

first time- he hit a HR in his first WS at bat against the favorited A’s while lacerating his kidney in the deciding game 4 of the sweep.  The injury had a lasting effect on him, per him.  

He was one of the best defensive center fielders of his time.  He played CF with reckless abandon which led to his demise as he couldn’t stay healthy after his lacerated kidney.  

he struck out a lot and wasn’t a great contact hitter until his mid 30s.  He put people in the seats and his batting stance is my favorite in league history.  Incredible bat speed and chewed tobacco like it was an art form. 

But yeah, he was “overrated” and sucked in the post season.  Thanks for the thorough analysis

14 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Overrated-  lol. He was a very good player from 86-90 (his career changed after the 1990 championship season due to injury).  

He played in the playoffs 3 times in his 17 year career.  The 2nd time he made the playoffs he was 35 and recovering from cancer.  3rd time he was 38.

first time- he hit a HR in his first WS at bat against the favorited A’s while lacerating his kidney in the deciding game 4 of the sweep.  The injury had a lasting effect on him, per him.  

He was one of the best defensive center fielders of his time.  He played CF with reckless abandon which led to his demise as he couldn’t stay healthy after his lacerated kidney.  

he struck out a lot and wasn’t a great contact hitter until his mid 30s.  He put people in the seats and his batting stance is my favorite in league history.  Incredible bat speed and chewed tobacco like it was an art form. 

But yeah, he was “overrated” and sucked in the post season.  Thanks for the thorough analysis

Talking swings from that time period, Darryl Strawberry. Such long arms and swing, but the swing looked effortless and the ball would go a mile. Only later to find out that he was out partying all night, the nights before games and rarely slept. He could've had a special career.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Talking swings from that time period, Darryl Strawberry. Such long arms and swing, but the swing looked effortless and the ball would go a mile. Only later to find out that he was out partying all night, the nights before games and rarely slept. He could've had a special career.

6’6 190 lbs.  imagine that in 2023??  MLB traded in the coke for steroids and iron. 

Yeah that stroke was def one of a kind.  Effortless for sure.  He and ED were friends in HS in LA- then had a reunion playing with the dodgers.  Too bad Darryl was already a scrub and Davis banged up 24/7.   

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Yeah the weather models have vastly improved between the almost 30 years ago I was in college and now. They are for the most part pretty accurate even 5-7 days out now.

When I was in college majoring in meteorology 45 years ago, the models were not even worth looking at.  (Except Christie Brinkley and Cheryl Tiegs - hahaha).  I spent nearly 40 years as a professional meteorologist, either forecasting or working in related fields, or in management.  The models got better steadily throughout the decades since the 70s, and as you say are now extremely accurate.  The improvement came about for multiple reasons -- better computers, much better satellite data, much better data assimilation routines, different types of models, more precise weather radar data. All of this was funded by taxpayers.  When I hear people complain that the government doesn't do anything, or produce anything, I just shake my head at their lack of awareness.  

6 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Words would be simpler…, 

A graph is worth 10,000 words to those with a little patience to understand it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Utah John said:

When I was in college majoring in meteorology 45 years ago, the models were not even worth looking at.  (Except Christie Brinkley and Cheryl Tiegs - hahaha).  I spent nearly 40 years as a professional meteorologist, either forecasting or working in related fields, or in management.  The models got better steadily throughout the decades since the 70s, and as you say are now extremely accurate.  The improvement came about for multiple reasons -- better computers, much better satellite data, much better data assimilation routines, different types of models, more precise weather radar data. All of this was funded by taxpayers.  When I hear people complain that the government doesn't do anything, or produce anything, I just shake my head at their lack of awareness.  

“Humor’ & “sarcasm”  for those with a little patience to understand it,   I’ll let you off this time UtahJohn, 😁👍

Edited by Don Otreply

25 minutes ago, Utah John said:

So you remember the magnet days. Moving all them magnets...

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

He hit below .200 in the post season, sorry but below Mendoza isn't good. I've heard mention he was the most complete player in his playing days, he only had over 100 RBIs in one season and 2 All Star games. His World Series ring in 1990 was because of the great pitching of his teammates or lack of hitting of Canseco and McGwire.

I commend him from returning from cancer but have to wonder if the chew had a part of it. . Forgive me for not explaining myself but I grew up a Rickey Henderson fan who's WAR was almost triple of what Davis was (111.1 vs 36.1). While Davis had his moments he was good not great. I put him in the Ray Landlord group of players.

Edited by The Jokeman

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.