Anyone else watching other games & daydreaming about how much easier their QB's have it???

Billsfan1972

Yes, I agree. This year Diggs has been moving a little bit more on the catch, but it’s still very very far from running free like a lot of the top WRs do around the league.

The other Bills guys, forget it. Knox is the only guy who has any room to roam. McKenzie is supposed to be an over the middle / middle to out catch and run guy, but he’s simply inept for a number of reasons.

Buffalo simply doesn’t run west coast type routes; Allen doesn’t get rid of the ball fast enough. The defensive game plan seems to be press coverage and let the D line and some blitzing overrun the Bills poor offensive line. Blitzing is what the Bills should want because it’s the only time Allen gets it out fast. No blitzing, and Allen runs and the defense has a guy or two to take on Allen (which Allen usually beats). 

Yes, watching Diggs catch stop routes while blanketed has been frustrating for years. I mean, I don’t even know if Diggs is capable of running with the football in his hands (being facetious of course). 

6 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Again watching TB & seems Brady has all day and receivers running open.  Stidham throwing for 360 vs. SF and Adams making great catches.  Mahomes a ho hum 330 yard game and again a lot of easy passes.  Goff and Prescott too.

Maybe I'm cherry picking, but I seem to see too many great catches & easy throws by QB's, whereas Josh Allen often seems to have to do it all.

Am I being too hypercritical of the Bills offense?

No you are not, and if anything it shows the gap this team has with some of these other in terms of 'perceived talent' vs. 'actual talent'.

This is why JA17 should still get serious consideration for MVP especially if he leads the team to victory tonight over a red hot Bengals team and defending conference champion. You game him out of the equation and this is probably a 5 or 6 win team right now and there's a reason why Keenam has looked terrible when he's been in the game with the same players, specifically oline and skill positions.

Beane has serious work to do in the offseason to fix all the gaping holes on this roster and not going to likely have many resources outside of the draft to do so.

• Agree 1

50 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

This is the Bills and were the preseason favourites.  I no longer compare the Buffalo Bills with the teams below them in the standings. Let's be honest the Bills have Josh Allen the other teams do not.

Tired of everyone doing the comparisons and 12-3 arguments.  You know what?  I don't care I think the Bills are better.

I used the Tampa Bay game yesterday and saw Evans running free for three long touchdowns. We haven't seen that in a long time from the bills. I can't remember the last long pass (simple fly pattern) they completed unless it is Davis vs Pittsburgh.

And yes Allen is much better than Brady right now. I'm pointing out things that I am seeing.  SF is now being talked as the best defense in football and look what Stidham did against them yesterday.

Nothing will make me happier than to come here tomorrow and talk about the great catches and long passes from yesterday's game and WIN.

98 yards to Davis.  The pass to Diggs to win the Lions game.  STFU already.

7 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Again watching TB & seems Brady has all day and receivers running open.  Stidham throwing for 360 vs. SF and Adams making great catches.  Mahomes a ho hum 330 yard game and again a lot of easy passes.  Goff and Prescott too.

Maybe I'm cherry picking, but I seem to see too many great catches & easy throws by QB's, whereas Josh Allen often seems to have to do it all.

Am I being too hypercritical of the Bills offense?

You’re correct. Josh has to work really hard for completions. Perhaps he’s not taking the easy shots. Also once our receivers catch the ball they seem to be hit and dropped on the spot. You look at Kelce always wide open? How? 

37 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

98 yards to Davis.  The pass to Diggs to win the Lions game.  STFU already.

How many times have I mentioned Davis catch and said those were the last long bombs I remember?

Edit.....  Diggs caught a 53 yarder vs. GB, which is the last long completion by the Bills.

The Diggs catch was a perfect pass by Allen.  Diggs did not have to go up and get it from defenders or make a spectacular catch.  It was not contested.  It was thrown on a line between three defenders into Diggs hands in stride.  He did absorb the hit that pro players should.

Gtfo yourself.

Edited by Billsfan1972

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

say what??  he's absolutely and extremely mobile.  the team doesn't ask him to run by design--which isn't the topic here anyway.  

Didn't say he wasn't mobile. I said he's not on the same level rushing wise as the other 4 mentioned.

Fields: 1143

Jackson: 764 (and injured)

Hurts: 747

Allen: 746

Mahomes: 329

6 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

I wish Josh would learn to take the underneath passes, but it just isn’t in his makeup. He’s got that Brett Favre dog in him. But I do wish that the Bills had a receiver like Jamar Chase that could make contested catches. Watch Burrow tonight. Half of the Bengals playbook are i’ll-advised passes to Chase on the boundary that only work because he makes catches when double covered. 

Stop with the underneath pass talk.  Josh Allen has the best arm on the planet.  We didn't draft him to throw 5 yard crosses.  Let him keep rolling out and throw 30 yard darts.  He is great at that.  You want underneath passing, bring in Teddy Bridge to nowhere.  We got the real deal in Josh Allen.  And yes he does have that Favre dog in him.  I loved it with Brett.  And I love it with Josh!!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Nothing will make me happier than to come here tomorrow and talk about the great catches and long passes from yesterday's game and WIN.

What about being happy about a win regardless of whether there were big pass plays or not. Does it really matter how they get the win? If Motor and Cook run for 200 yards again, and/or the defense plays lights out, and that means Josh only passes for 150 (with no bombs), but they win...then I'd still be very happy. Whereas I feel like you would come on here and say, yes, I'm happy about the win, but our team sucks, there's no way we're winning a Super Bowl like this, etc. Just get the W any way you can. That's the NFL. No one gets anything for style points.

Gabe Davis has 146 RAC yards of which 60 came on the 98 yard bomb. 

A great statistic: RAC % of total receiving yards, and total RAC yards. When you find these stats you’ll notice it’s Diggs and Singletary, the drop off after these two is precipitous.

Diggs 412 RAC / 1325 total = 31% RAC 

Shakir 68 / 133 = 51% 

Crowder 30 / 60 = 50%

McKenzie 121 / 404 = 30%

Kumerow 17 / 64 = 27%

Beasley 4 / 18 = 22%
Davis  146 / 797 = 18%

Singletary 257 / 277 = 93%

Hines 45 / 53 = 85%

Gilliam 54 / 69 = 78%

Cook 123 / 174 = 71% 

Sweeney 8 / 7 = 114%

Morris 33 / 84 = 39%

Knox 183 / 504 = 36%

I believe RAC is equally attributable to the following:

#1 take what the defense is giving you

#2 offensive play design

#3 player RAC ability

#4 QB accuracy 

RAC to Total Receiving Yards 

KC 2755 / 5048 = 55%

CIN 2060 / 4305 = 48% 

BUF 1549 / 4037 = 38%

Edited by Dr.Sack
Statistical correction

20 minutes ago, folz said:

What about being happy about a win regardless of whether there were big pass plays or not. Does it really matter how they get the win? If Motor and Cook run for 200 yards again, and/or the defense plays lights out, and that means Josh only passes for 150 (with no bombs), but they win...then I'd still be very happy. Whereas I feel like you would come on here and say, yes, I'm happy about the win, but our team sucks, there's no way we're winning a Super Bowl like this, etc. Just get the W any way you can. That's the NFL. No one gets anything for style points.

Stop it......  Minny needs fans like you.  Sure you'll be right at home there (Oldmanfan too).

I expect more and fun to be a Bills fan nowadays and be able to say that and not be hoping for a .500 season.

No a sloppy 20-17 win would yes have me probably concerned.

Yes I want a convincing win, but if not want to see 350-400 yards passing from Josh (add 60 on the ground).  

I think an offence clicking in the passing game is crucial.

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

How many times have I mentioned Davis catch and said those were the last long bombs I remember?

Edit.....  Diggs caught a 53 yarder vs. GB, which is the last long completion by the Bills.

The Diggs catch was a perfect pass by Allen.  Diggs did not have to go up and get it from defenders or make a spectacular catch.  It was not contested.  It was thrown on a line between three defenders into Diggs hands in stride.  He did absorb the hit that pro players should.

Gtfo yourself.

So you’d rather imperfect passes be made. Your act is ridiculously old and tired.  The mods should have banned you when you said you’d rather see the Bills lose an exciting game vs. win when they throw for less than 300.  And you just suggested it again in the post above this one.  You don’t watch other games, you make crap up because you want attention.  As far as I can tell you rarely if ever just join another thread to join discussions.  You always have to make your own with some bizarre negative spin to draw folks in.  

Is your life really so lonely and pathetic that you have to resort to this kind of conduct?

21 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Stop it......  Minny needs fans like you.  Sure you'll be right at home there (Oldmanfan too).

I expect more and fun to be a Bills fan nowadays and be able to say that and not be hoping for a .500 season.

Yes I want a convincing win, but if not want to see 350-400 yards passing from Josh (add 60 on the ground).  

So last week was bad because we ran the ball well.  What a complete tool.

Edited by oldmanfan

11 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

bud, a win is more important than anything...especially tonight.  it makes absolutely no difference how it comes.  you're tip toeing along your past comments of rather being excited by a game than getting a win.

24 minutes ago, teef said:

bud, a win is more important than anything...especially tonight.  it makes absolutely no difference how it comes.  you're tip toeing along your past comments of rather being excited by a game than getting a win.

Did you read his post? Another tired a win is a win is a win.  We all know that.  Maybe you too can remind me of the Bills record, I think I've forgotten it again.

26 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

So you’d rather imperfect passes be made. Your act is ridiculously old and tired.  The mods should have banned you when you said you’d rather see the Bills lose an exciting game vs. win when they throw for less than 300.  And you just suggested it again in the post above this one.  You don’t watch other games, you make crap up because you want attention.  As far as I can tell you rarely if ever just join another thread to join discussions.  You always have to make your own with some bizarre negative spin to draw folks in.  

Is your life really so lonely and pathetic that you have to resort to this kind of conduct?

So last week was bad because we ran the ball well.  What a complete tool.

And you are a fool (see rhymes with tool).

Every qb makes imperfect passes, and guess what?  Receivers sometimes make great catches.  That is what I haven't seen from the Bills this year enough.  Making that tough catch where they go up with the defender and win the battle or adjust and make the catch.  Often those are very good passes and the receiver makes the catch.  They are far from imperfect.  What is a back shoulder catch?

You are so fixated on the 300 yard comments, which I 100% stand by, because no coach (outside your man McD) went 3 full years without being able to to reach that mark once.  Heck I don't think those three years 2017-19 there was one who went a full year, let alone 3 without doing it.  The Bills were at the bottom three of the league 3 years in a row on offence.  Excuse me if I wanted to watch some games with points scored and an offensive flow.  

Last week was freezing cold and windy and playing the worst D in the NFL.  I fortunately was away and only watched it upon my return.  BTW the Bills were down at half and take a look at the #'s Fields put up yesterday.  Sorry if I'm not giddy about beating the Bears.

Edited by Billsfan1972

3 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

This is the Bills and were the preseason favourites.  I no longer compare the Buffalo Bills with the teams below them in the standings. Let's be honest the Bills have Josh Allen the other teams do not.

Tired of everyone doing the comparisons and 12-3 arguments.  You know what?  I don't care I think the Bills are better.

I used the Tampa Bay game yesterday and saw Evans running free for three long touchdowns. We haven't seen that in a long time from the bills. I can't remember the last long pass (simple fly pattern) they completed unless it is Davis vs Pittsburgh.

And yes Allen is much better than Brady right now. I'm pointing out things that I am seeing.  SF is now being talked as the best defense in football and look what Stidham did against them yesterday.

You get a lot of flack for your post.  From me included.  This one I actually agree with you on.  Ive said for years that Allen has a tougher job than any other top QB in the league.  Tougher than mediocre ones even.  Rarely do I see our guys just flat out open in busted coverage or schemed flat out open.  Rarely do our guys make contested catches or get a lot of YAC.  Other teams that happens all game sometimes for them.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

This was stated many times last off-season to the chagrin of many posters here who claimed that was ridiculous…. This season continued to support the notion that this offense(and team really) are way too Josh Allen centric. 

Hopefully Beane and McD FINALLY admit and address that this off-season so Josh Allen’s prime is a long one…. Enough with the defensive heavy philosophy. 

The Andy Reid Chiefs have proven they wouldn’t suck without Mahomes…. Mahomes elevated them to SB contender year in and year out, but they certainly didn’t suck without him.

The Bills would be lucky to win 8 games with someone like prime Alex Smith at helm with the roster and team as currently constructed IMO.

That is a projection in your own head only. We have a top 5 defense, Stefon Diggs, a top kicker, an excellent punter, decent special teams...even if you think the rest of our team sucks (O-line, WRs, TEs, RBs, etc.), which they don't, to say they would be lucky to get a losing record (8-9) if you swapped a prime Alex Smith for Josh, seems a bit over the top to me. Obviously, they wouldn't be asking Smith to do what Josh does. The offense would be tailored to Smith and look much different. He would be more asked to manage the game. But there is nothing saying that he couldn't get us to 10 wins and a Wild Card playoff loss (like he did with KC the year before Mahomes took over). Hell, Tyrod Taylor got us to the playoffs with a much less-talented team than we have now. Plus, our defense has held 10 teams to 20 points or under, and have only allowed two teams to score more than 25. Are you telling me that Alex Smith (instead of Josh) on this team couldn't score 21 points? The current league average is 21.5 points per game. Do you really think this offense couldn't be at least average with a prime Alex Smith? To think this team falls to a 7-10 record or worse with a solid/competent (not great, but not terrible) QB...no, I'm not buying it.

No question Josh pulls off miraculous plays that Smith never could, but just having a great QB doesn't automatically get you to 12, 13, 14 wins without a solid team around him. Look at the Packers this year. Josh is what makes this team elite, but they are still a good team with a lot of talented players regardless.

I'm not saying there aren't positions that could or will need upgrading (O-line definitely), but this idea that it is all Josh and everyone else on the team sucks is just not rational thinking. Nor that the Bills have ignored offense to draft/bring in defensive talent. Since Beane got here, they have brought in the same number of offensive players as they have defensive players. And, at the end of last year, the offense was humming, with two almost perfect games. Yet, our defense was getting gashed by the run and couldn't get any pressure on opposing QBs. That was a very good reason to focus on improving the defensive line first and foremost in the off season. And it has made a difference (we are 4th vs. the run this year and 11th in sacks---a big improvement). You can't fix everything every off season. And all teams have holes or positions they would like to upgrade, that is not unique to the Bills.

And teams are constructed differently. You can look at a team like Cincy and say, man, they have three great receivers. Why can't we have that many good receivers. But they may have sacrificed upgrading a different area on their team to get the receivers, so we would have an advantage against them in that part of the game. Sometimes you have to look at the bigger picture. And as a GM, you are making a lot of gambles too...not every one pays off, but if enough of them do, then you are right where the Bills are right now.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

17 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Did you read his post? Another tired a win is a win is a win.  We all know that.  Maybe you too can remind me of the Bills record, I think I've forgotten it again.

And you are a fool (see rhymes with tool).

Every qb makes imperfect passes, and guess what?  Receivers sometimes make great catches.  That is what I haven't seen from the Bills this year enough.  Making that tough catch where they go up with the defender and win the battle or adjust and make the catch.  Often those are very good passes and the receiver makes the catch.  They are far from imperfect.  What is a back shoulder catch?

You are so fixated on the 300 yard comments, which I 100% stand by, because no coach (outside your man McD) went 3 full years without being able to to reach that mark once.  Heck I don't think those three years 2017-19 there was one who went a full year, let alone 3 without doing it.  The Bills were at the bottom three of the league 3 years in a row on offence.  Excuse me if I wanted to watch some games with points scored and an offensive flow.  

Last week was freezing cold and windy and playing the worst D in the NFL.  I fortunately was away and only watched it upon my return.  BTW the Bills were down at half and take a look at the #'s Fields put up yesterday.  Sorry if I'm not giddy about beating the Bears.

Who the hell cares they were down at the half?  They dominated the second half and won convincingly last week.  You could care less about the Bills other than giving you an audience to grab attention with your ridiculous threads.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Allen makes up for a lot of weaknesses on the offense  Remove the off script plays, add the sacks that only he escapes and subtract not only his run game but what ours would look like with heavier run boxes  Bills are a sub .500 team with Keenum  maybe way below .500

• Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.