Anyone else watching other games & daydreaming about how much easier their QB's have it???

Billsfan1972

Just now, YattaOkasan said:

You mean his weakness is speed rush?  Yes I find that strange too. But bills have a type on OL.  Joe Marino said their average RAS is 9.3!  probably shave some off aged vet Saffold but he was athletic when he came out.

Why in the hell

can they not pick off defenders on screens. It’s woeful 

Just now, balln said:

It’s more than saffold is just overpaid. He is playing at a level where he shouldn’t be in the nfl. He’s AWFUL!

Lol well have to disagree on this point.  I think he’s average to just below. Need to find a good set of stats to reference.  But not in NFL is comical. You clearly don’t watch other teams enough let alone what backups look like.  

Lol well have to disagree on this point.  I think he’s average to just below. Need to find a good set of stats to reference.  But not in NFL is comical. You clearly don’t watch other teams enough let alone what backups look like.  

His pff is 41. I know you don’t like pff. But no offense - no fan is going to be able to objectively produce stats for lineman 

how about - eye test. Basically every blown up offensive , negative play or penalty. Can be traced back to saffold getting abused. Both run and pass

• Agree 1

Back to the OP. I think it’s how Josh plays. He throws when he sees separation as the ball travels that separation decreases and the YAC is diminished. In other offenses that are based on timing the ball is thrown before separation. When the ball gets there the separation is maximized and thus more YAC. I don’t know that Josh will ever be a high end YAC guy. I hope for average. 

• Disagree 1

The question for me is it Daboll/Dorsey or is it Josh? As others posted Mahommes takes the check down dump off frequently.  It seems Allen isn't willing to do that. He's certainly capable and has shown in the past he can play the dink and dunk game. I just feel ever since that KC playoff game he feels he needs to take more home run shots than just getting some positive yards.

We watch the games and we see guys open underneath. 

Another issue is this mentality that FGs are somehow a bad thing now. It's stupid.  Its still points. It feeds into this hero ball mentality and I think one of the reasons for more red zone turnovers this year. This is not college football where teams are putting up 40+ a game. League leaders in PPG is under 30. Yes you need TDs but 3 points on a drive is still a good drive even against Cincinnati and KC.

Edited by Ethan in Cleveland

Just now, balln said:

His pff is 41. I know you don’t like pff. But no offense - no fan is going to be able to objectively produce stats for lineman 

how about - eye test. Basically every blown up offensive , negative play or penalty. Can be traced back to saffold getting abused. Both run and pass

Yeah that’s the challenge is pff is the only source really. I think more OL focused peeps have some better ones though. But PFF also has morse at 51. I don’t think that checks out

1 hour ago, Pete said:

What sweet ride it is! Im loving this BIlls Offense,Defense, Special Teams, warts and all.  The only team that can beat the Bills is the Bills.  They need to clean up their game, it's playoff time.  Every Bills will say the same thing.  Last week there was 5 drops I believe.  Some third down killers.  Careless fumbles.   Befuddling interception.   We still won handily.  Now we are playing Chefs and Bengals.  Don't be sloppy.  Play Buffalo Bills A game football!  No one is beating that team!  Go Bills!

If Bills get lucky it may just be Bengals for rest of year if a team upsets Chiefs in playoffs.

Back to the OP. I think it’s how Josh plays. He throws when he sees separation as the ball travels that separation decreases and the YAC is diminished. In other offenses that are based on timing the ball is thrown before separation. When the ball gets there the separation is maximized and thus more YAC. I don’t know that Josh will ever be a high end YAC guy. I hope for average. 

Where's the separation on deep balls then?  Receivers are not open enough regardless (or make that contested catch, one needs to make).

45 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I’d argue the Bills OL is solid when healthy, and they’re healthy now.  

Metrics can be cherry picked.  As I said above, Bills are Top 5 in pass block win rate. 

In regards to Allen having less to work with than Mahomes and Burrow… I think that’s probably accurate.  Remains to be seen how our Kromer-led run game factors in against peer contenders.. Not that we should become a running team, but it will be interesting to see if it translates in any meaningful way. 

The flip side of the coin is that our Defense is better than Cinci’s and much better than KC’s.  Do they show up in games like this?… because for all the investment, they didn’t last year when it mattered. 

Defense has its own question marks. 

2 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

I think this was a fair "criticism" a year or two ago, but imo since then he's gotten much better at recognizing coverages, throwing with anticipation and putting the ball in spots before his receivers are all the way out of their breaks.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

Our Offensive line isn’t very good. It hasn’t been very good at all. Having Josh Allen has made them look adequate

Offensive line has been channeling rushers to inside so Josh can get out of pocket and have additional half second to throw.

Josh does make it difficult with him for offense line since they can not always know where he is with him moving so much.

Of the offense line Josh is a bucking bull trying to be ridden which is somewhat appropriate.

22 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

And when Allen hit in both hands on a long play, surprise/surprise another Bills receiver couldn't hold on because a defender was there.

That doesn’t mean you stop trying…, 

• Agree 1

One issue to me is that Josh is just not hitting the long ball cleanly.  He underthrew SmokeY and McKittrick (for the INT).  I'd rather see him overthrow them once in a while to avoid the bad result.  The other issue is that our WR's/TE's just aren't making plays consistently.  Dropped balls, poor/incorrect routes, no YAC, none of which is on Josh.  Yet we keep winning.  If we eliminate the mistakes, we're going to dominate and win by 2-4 TD's again.  I'm looking for that tonight. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Simon said:

I think this was a fair "criticism" a year or two ago, but imo since then he's gotten much better at recognizing coverages, throwing with anticipation and putting the ball in spots before his receivers are all the way out of their breaks.

I guess. Trying to dissect this a bit is hard. First thing in my mind is his time to throw has stayed high. I think we also still run a ton of option routes which are not anticipation throws.

I actually don’t consider a criticism. Having the ability to wait until peeps have separation shows the ability to have great arm strength. Allows adjustment to post snap coverage changes. Lastly I think it’s how he can convert 3rd and Josh Allen’s. Hard to anticipate 3rd and long plays versus short plays

I try to ignore the OP because he just posts stuff looking for attention.  But I am looking at some responses here and am amazed at the negativity.  The Bills are the #1 team in the AFC.  But reading some of you, we should probably just forfeit tonight and turn down being in the payoffs because we’re so horrible.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Where's the separation on deep balls then?  Receivers are not open enough regardless (or make that contested catch, one needs to make).

Don’t disagree the WR aren’t holding their end of the bargain. I had them as 5-10 in the league before the year.  Now I think they are 10-14.  Crazy cause I still consider diggs top 5. An average WR2 would probably get them back to 5-10

1 minute ago, DapperCam said:

He had back surgery in the offseason and was barely back in time for the season. That sort of thing can be a career killer.

All of these same problems with his questionable feet and his poor work against athletics ends were there all throughout last year as well and have nothing to do with his back surgery.

1 minute ago, Simon said:

All of these same problems with his questionable feet and his poor work against athletics ends were there all throughout last year as well and have nothing to do with his back surgery.

Agree. Point might be that with back surgery he didn’t get the chance to correct them

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.