Anyone else watching other games & daydreaming about how much easier their QB's have it???

Billsfan1972

32 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Its not your imagination.  PFF ranks the Bills oline 22nd in the league in pass blocking. And 28th in run blocking. It is a bad unit. (good news, Bengals oline sucks too) Bills receivers are ranked 14th.  (Bad news Chiefs and Bengals are ranked 3rd and 4th). Bengals and Chiefs are ranked 1st and second in passing. Bills are ranked fifth. Allen-Burrows-Mahomes are all about equally talented.  Allen has far less to work with overall. 

I’d argue the Bills OL is solid when healthy, and they’re healthy now.  

Metrics can be cherry picked.  As I said above, Bills are Top 5 in pass block win rate. 

In regards to Allen having less to work with than Mahomes and Burrow… I think that’s probably accurate.  Remains to be seen how our Kromer-led run game factors in against peer contenders.. Not that we should become a running team, but it will be interesting to see if it translates in any meaningful way. 

The flip side of the coin is that our Defense is better than Cinci’s and much better than KC’s.  Do they show up in games like this?… because for all the investment, they didn’t last year when it mattered. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Again watching TB & seems Brady has all day and receivers running open.  Stidham throwing for 360 vs. SF and Adams making great catches.  Mahomes a ho hum 330 yard game and again a lot of easy passes.  Goff and Prescott too.

Maybe I'm cherry picking, but I seem to see too many great catches & easy throws by QB's, whereas Josh Allen often seems to have to do it all.

Am I being too hypercritical of the Bills offense?

Well for starters, Josh won’t take the easy throws with any regularity, unlike his counterparts that do so repeatedly,  throughout games, so that’s on Josh,  ( those are the throws that turn into YAC) think about this, what would happen if Josh did take the east stuff with some minor frequency? Yup, the mid range to longer throws would become easier and even more devastating, the film show guys open frequently for short/check down passes, Josh knowingly doesn’t throw to them, Josh wants the long throws, as fans there is not much that we can do about this, so we just have to learn to win Joshes way, which is so far doing pretty damn well, 12-3, AFCE champs 3 yrs running, on target for the #1 seed in the AFC, we are just gonna have to live with this I guess, 😁👍🍺

note; some sarcasm intended. 

GO BILLS!!!

2 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Well for starters, Josh won’t take the easy throws with any regularity, unlike his counterparts that do so repeatedly,  throughout games, so that’s on Josh,  ( those are the throws that turn into YAC) think about this, what would happen if Josh did take the east stuff with some minor frequency? Yup, the mid range to longer throws would become easier and even more devastating, the film show guys open frequently for short/check down passes, Josh knowingly doesn’t throw to them, Josh wants the long throws, as fans there is not much that we can do about this, so we just have to learn to win Joshes way, which is so far doing pretty damn well, 12-3, AFCE champs 3 yrs running, on target for the #1 seed in the AFC, we are just gonna have to live with this I guess, 😁👍🍺

GO BILLS!!!

Josh is like a bigger, stronger Brett Favre who can run. The risk-taking comes with the package.

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Bang on, but doesn't take away that no one ever seems to be running wide open and able to turn it up field or make a tough catch while covered.

Can anyone name a single one since Pitt????  I remember Diggs incredible one-handed catch vs. Minny (and another vs. Miami on the first drive).

With Allen both teams are 3 games batter minimum and Allen has 5000+ yards passing.

We’re not defeating consistently the D sticky man to man. 

It’s part on wr drops / not separating enough / making tough catches 

it’s also part on Allen - he’s not exactly a consistent excellent ball placement rhythm passer - so even if he gets a completion it’s slightly high, low, behind and w our catchers they aren’t able to keep running w speed 

once we beat them man to man. Then flip them to zone. It’s game over. We crush zone. Allen is far more comfortable w zone. That’s when diggs comes alive 

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Again watching TB & seems Brady has all day and receivers running open.  Stidham throwing for 360 vs. SF and Adams making great catches.  Mahomes a ho hum 330 yard game and again a lot of easy passes.  Goff and Prescott too.

Maybe I'm cherry picking, but I seem to see too many great catches & easy throws by QB's, whereas Josh Allen often seems to have to do it all.

Am I being too hypercritical of the Bills offense?

Yeah i sit at home and mope about our top 5 offense 

Edited by GolfandBills
  • Haha (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

GO BILLS!!!

He did vs rams. First game. And a little vs kc. That’s it. 

1 minute ago, balln said:

He did vs rams. First game. And a little vs kc. That’s it. 

And that sort of QB play makes for a dominant outing, 

• Like (+1) 1

Josh needs to find a level somewhere between him and Justin Herbert, relative to check downs.

We have two guys who should be check down monsters in Cook & Hines, along with Knox who is extremely talented with the ball in his hands.  

I know he always wants the big play, but taking check downs is what can open that up.   It will also make this offense look much easier.

Also.. we may see Playoff Josh tonight.  That’s the one where he just runs for the easy yards whenever they are there.   That requires a spy and/or for the defense to suck in, also opening up everything.   It’s not a coincidence that we looked like a laser show in the playoffs last year….   It’s because Josh Allen unleashed is an absolute monster. 

17 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I’d argue the Bills OL is solid when healthy, and they’re healthy now.  

Metrics can be cherry picked.  As I said above, Bills are Top 5 in pass block win rate. 

In regards to Allen having less to work with than Mahomes and Burrow… I think that’s probably accurate.  Remains to be seen how our Kromer-led run game factors in against peer contenders.. Not that we should become a running team, but it will be interesting to see if it translates in any meaningful way. 

The flip side of the coin is that our Defense is better than Cinci’s and much better than KC’s.  Do they show up in games like this?… because for all the investment, they didn’t last year when it mattered. 

I agree. Pff grading is garbage so not using that. Kromer has got the run game humming now. Took some different approaches to get there (tackle pulls) but our RB are really producing since the bye. Also the OL is not really a problem in the pass game (bottom half in sacks, hurries, hits, pressures though a lot of that is Josh). Problem in the pass game is drops (obviously not OL) and INT. A very high number of Josh’s INT come from a clean pocket so hard to blame them. I think the OL is rounding out very nicely. 

Edited by YattaOkasan
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

We have John Brown back, he could take the top of the defense yet we don't dial up those plays too often. 

And when Allen hit in both hands on a long play, surprise/surprise another Bills receiver couldn't hold on because a defender was there.

23 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

GO BILLS!!!

This is a well reasoned and accurate take.

That said, I really do hope that Josh works on this aspect of his game because of how transcendent he would become. 

I love him. He's my dude. But damn, if he could mix some Brady-esque layups in with his Farve-esque heroics we'd be in for an even better ride.

No complaint, just exhibiting a growth mindset! LOL

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Matt_In_NH said:

The Bills passing offense is not what maybe we want it to be but its pretty good.   The Bills score the second highest points per game in the league as an offense.  You are seeing "greener grass" but if you switched you would end up with a 500 team or one that is not close to making the playoffs.  Enjoy the ride this team is giving you is my advice!  Its a great ride...it is ok to talk about how they can improve but in this case you are kind of cherry picking.

We have a great pass offense because Allen is so great. The scheme and supporting cast could absolutely make it easier on him. We have basically none of the screens, slants and little hooks that other teams run which are easy pitch and catch plays for the QB. Instead everything is down field, slowly developing and requires Allen to be a superhero.

The running game with RBs could help a lot. We saw some of that last week, I hope it continues.

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Brown has played better the past couple weeks but my god he’s been awful again this year… dude routinely gets abused…. Him, Saffold, the lack of skill at WR, and self inflicted turnovers will be the reason the Bills don’t win the SB this season if they come up short IMO. 

Those are the weak points of our OL but I think you are making them out to be worse than they are.  Though ive

come around to Saffold is being overpaid so would be happy to get some young blood there.

Lastly how do you see them as the reason for us losing? Our run game is humming and our TOs are coming from a clean pocket more often than not. How will they cause harm?  Penalties is the only stat I havent looked up.  Everything else isn’t a liability. 

13 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Brown has played better the past couple weeks but my god he’s been awful again this year… dude routinely gets abused…. Him, Saffold, the lack of skill at WR, and self inflicted turnovers will be the reason the Bills don’t win the SB this season if they come up short IMO. 

It’s very alarming that a guy that tests so well from an athletic standpoint gets beat so much. 

5 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

Those are the weak points of our OL but I think you are making them out to be worse than they are.  Though ive

come around to Saffold is being overpaid so would be happy to get some young blood there.

Lastly how do you see them as the reason for us losing? Our run game is humming and our TOs are coming from a clean pocket more often than not. How will they cause harm?  Penalties is the only stat I havent looked up.  Everything else isn’t a liability. 

It’s more than saffold is just overpaid. He is playing at a level where he shouldn’t be in the nfl. He’s AWFUL!

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, whorlnut said:

It’s very alarming that a guy that tests so well from an athletic standpoint gets beat so much. 

You mean his weakness is speed rush?  Yes I find that strange too. But bills have a type on OL.  Joe Marino said their average RAS is 9.3!  probably shave some off aged vet Saffold but he was athletic when he came out.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.