Under Used Weapons in Bills Offense

T master

Diggs.  Knox.  I'll go with tempo as #3.  I'd like to see them play with a little more pace sometimes.  Maybe diversity as #4.  Still waiting for a rope-a-dope game plan like we saw against KC in the regular season last year.  This would be the week to bust it out if we have it. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, MPT said:

It definitely has looked like they're keeping some things close to the vest until playoff time. The lack of usage of players who have delivered results in limited opportunities has been head scratching. They also haven't used many creative plays like the examples you're talking about.

This game is as close to playoff importance as a regular season game gets (other than a win-and-get-in scenario). It will be interesting to see if they start showing some new wrinkles. 

Either that or Dorsey is actually just vanilla or die.

The Bills showed last week that they can run the ball effectively without Allen carrying the rock.  Will they continue to show case that?

Under used weapons…, hmmm, 

Isiah Hodgins comes to mind…, no wait, 

I just couldn’t help myself, 😂

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I wouldn't mind seeing Morris and Knox on field together. Morris has shown to have some of the better hands on the team. 

Morris can get a good release off the line, and run really good routes, too.  when OBL had Cosell on he commented "that's a very good route for a TE" on a couple of Morris clips.  It's because he's a converted WR of course.  His TE skills like blocking are still coming up to speed, though.

22 minutes ago, ganesh said:

The Bills showed last week that they can run the ball effectively without Allen carrying the rock.  Will they continue to show case that?

With all respect, when we watched the Bills in pre-season and opening day against the Rams, many of us thought our run game looked very promising.

But that didn't last.

I think the bottom line is that we can run well against weak DLs, but we're still struggling to run between the tackles against top DLs.  Unfortunately the Bengals fall into the "top DL" category, so I'm not anticipating 250 yds, but I'm hopeful that between the Vikings the Browns and the Lions, we've identified some run strategies that can work.  Against the Browns, we rushed for 171 yds - of which Allen had 7

20 hours ago, NewEra said:

I’ve been hoping that we’d have shakir more involved by now, but it’s looking like he’s just a short armed blocker atm

He's just a short armed blocker ATM because he's not getting open.  He's not getting releases when he plays on the line, he's not decoding the zone correctly when he's playing against zone, he's not beating his guy when he's playing against man.  This is from what I've seen, and I'll make the caveat that I haven't watched all-22 of every game nor does NFL+ make it easy to pull out individual plays.

Morris can be a matchup problem.  His release on that TD vs Miami was awesome.

Agreed, that was a sick move.

Has anyone watched how he’s doing as a blocker?

I think the correct term is "progressing"

20 hours ago, CoudyBills said:

I wouldn't mind seeing them throw to Diggs 10 times.

How many of those throws do you want him to haul in?

16 hours ago, Mango said:

The Bills could line up in a heavy set and have a real chance of throwing the ball. Especially if Cook is the RB. 

This has been, IMO, a slightly promising development of recent.  Bills have lined up in a heavy set with an extra OLman then throw.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I don't care as much about Morris or Gilliam as offensive weapons.  But I'd sure like to see Hines and Shakir more involved. 

15 hours ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Would not mind seeing Hines involved more in a variety of ways. This game to me seems ripe for the HBs to have success on the ground and through the air. He has that versatility and has not been used a ton yet.

15 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Hines and Shakir need to be more involved going forward. Hones in particular is deadly with the ball in his hands, and we're not succeeding in enabling that thus far. Morris is also intriguing and would mind seeing more of him. Cook has already started ramping up, but I think a Bills Championship has him in a better than 50/50 role.

I'm picking on you guys, but I'd really like to understand the thought process when people say things like this.

Shakir has a 50% catch rate.  9 catches on 18 targets.  18 targets on 260 snaps.  If, in 260 snaps, Allen has only seen an opening to target him 18 times of which he has caught 9, why do you want to see him more involved?

Hines has 6 carries for -3 yards.  That's arguably not his fault, but it arguably doesn't show he's "deadly with the ball in his hands" either. 

He has 5 receptions on 9 targets for 53 yds, a 55.6% catch rate.  This is on 63 snaps, so it's not like he's never been on the field.

Now I'll grant that in those 53 yds, 45 of them are YAC for 9 YAC/reception, so he is getting YAC.  But ~half of them come on one reception vs. NWE.

I want to love Hines and Shakir, I do - I'm just wondering what you guys see that leads you to the conclusion that the Bills wouldn't involve them more if they were in position to be more involved, especially Shakir.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I'm picking on you guys, but I'd really like to understand the thought process when people say things like this.

Shakir has a 50% catch rate.  9 catches on 18 targets.  18 targets on 260 snaps.  If, in 260 snaps, Allen has only seen an opening to target him 18 times of which he has caught 9, why do you want to see him more involved?

Hines has 6 carries for -3 yards.  That's arguably not his fault, but it arguably doesn't show he's "deadly with the ball in his hands" either. 

He has 5 receptions on 9 targets for 53 yds, a 55.6% catch rate.  This is on 63 snaps, so it's not like he's never been on the field.

Now I'll grant that in those 53 yds, 45 of them are YAC for 9 YAC/reception, so he is getting YAC.  But ~half of them come on one reception vs. NWE.

I want to love Hines and Shakir, I do - I'm just wondering what you guys see that leads you to the conclusion that the Bills wouldn't involve them more if they were in position to be more involved, especially Shakir.

I think alot of this discussion involves Josh getting too locked in "visually" to his 3 primary receivers of Diggs, Davis & Knox.  I don't necessarily feel it's an issue of Hines or Shakir not being open.  He's just gotta spread the love around a little more. 

22 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I wouldn't mind seeing Morris and Knox on field together. Morris has shown to have some of the better hands on the team. 

Gilliam also a bit under the radar, as he love to see us throw him short more as think defenses wouldn't be look to go to him. 

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

I only said Hines, but think for both he and Shakir the general theme of “bringing them along slowly” applies and explains why they have not been used more yet. Shakir is a 5th round rookie and Hines was acquired at the deadline.

Hines to me represents 1 of 3 true dual threats on our offense. Allen and Cook being the other 2. That’s why involving him more is important. The more multi-threat players on offense, the more versatile Dorsey in theory can be, the more guessing/decision-making the defense has to do, and the more potential for defensive mistakes.

20 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

I only said Hines, but think for both he and Shakir the general theme of “bringing them along slowly” applies and explains why they have not been used more yet. Shakir is a 5th round rookie and Hines was acquired at the deadline.

Hines to me represents 1 of 3 true dual threats on our offense. Allen and Cook being the other 2. That’s why involving him more is important. The more multi-threat players on offense, the more versatile Dorsey in theory can be, the more guessing/decision-making the defense has to do, and the more potential for defensive mistakes.

Hines came from Indy averaging 3-4 catches/game & 80% completion %, yet here he's <1.  I think there's the answer.

Edited by Billsfan1972

59 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Hines came from Indy averaging 3-4 catches/game & 80% completion %, yet here he's <1.  I think there's the answer.

Yep need to get him more plays designed for him specifically.

Who knows, maybe that’s something Dorsey has been saving for a big potentially-1st-seed-clinching game?

5 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Yep need to get him more plays designed for him specifically.

Who knows, maybe that’s something Dorsey has been saving for a big potentially-1st-seed-clinching game?

I'd say tonight is just as important if not more so. I'd be embarrassed if he was the reason we needed to beat New England.

Edited by Billsfan1972

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.