Under Used Weapons in Bills Offense

T master

This week is probably to this point a game that is as close to must win than any other the Bills have had this season given what it holds in the out come column . More than likely as we know if the Bills win they will get the #1 over all pick for home field & the team to beat in the AFC & we could finally get teams at home .

Also to this point of the season there has been some weapons that josh has at his disposal that haven't been over utilized this year TE's being one of them both Knox & Q have been used but not a lot in the passing game which could take the Bengals by surprise if they go that direction then if they throw in Gilliam being a hybrid TE/FB those 3 could be a huge surprise this game .

Q has shown he has really good hands the guy has made some really good catches this season at times the team really needed him & in the beginning of the season Gilliam made a few nice catches too then of course there is Knox he is just one more weapon they will have to plan for on top of the ones that get utilized most of the time .

Then throw in some Beasely in the soft spots underneath & i think Josh has all he needs to defeat the Bengals Monday night I just hope Dorsey incorporates more of those not used much to this point as a surprise tactic of attack this game .

Then if he throws in a Schnowman or a O lineman TD would be just the icing on the AFC divisional cake !! GO BILLS !!! 

Edited by T master
  • Like (+1) 1

It definitely has looked like they're keeping some things close to the vest until playoff time. The lack of usage of players who have delivered results in limited opportunities has been head scratching. They also haven't used many creative plays like the examples you're talking about.

This game is as close to playoff importance as a regular season game gets (other than a win-and-get-in scenario). It will be interesting to see if they start showing some new wrinkles. 

Either that or Dorsey is actually just vanilla or die.

• Agree 3

Good post-  T Master-  

Are we keeping things close to the vest?  - are we saving things for the playoffs?   Are we saving Shakir and Morris for win or go home?  Have we been keeping Cook under wraps?  Why has the play calling been so vanilla?  So the league can’t figure out how to stop it?  

Those are the questions every Bills fan would like to know.  

I’ve been hoping that we’d have shakir more involved by now, but it’s looking like he’s just a short armed blocker atm,  

Morris can be a matchup problem.  His release on that TD vs Miami was awesome. Has anyone watched how he’s doing as a blocker?  I know that wasn’t his forte but I’m hoping he can improve as he gets stronger

Cook could be the game changing type back everyone has been looking for.  5.7 ypc…..and we were all hyped about his receiving skills.  If we can incorporate him more in the passing game with success….  That could be all she wrote for the rest of the league.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

Honestly I have become hopeful Dorsey is smarter than I originally thought.
 And keeping enough cards up his sleeve to make the run when it really matters.
 Gilliam and Morris have hardly been utilized as a threat and yet seem to get open often enough if Josh was looking.
 Cook is likely a matter of play design for his skill set, and I suggest Hines might have a role.
Shakir might be the sleeper.

No one seem to think he is going to make a play. defenses and Bills fans alike lol.
 Expect Davis to be better utilized if Dorsey has any sense about his route trees :)

I would like to see Frazier do some magic too when the time comes. Hopefully by now his young corners and Hamlin can better see the field and execute McFraziers disguised looks that get us turnovers

4 hours ago, Allen2Diggs said:

I think Gilliam has been underutilized as a receiver. I would like to see him used as a target in the flat on play action more often. He has even shown an ability to get open up the seam on occasion.

The Bills could line up in a heavy set and have a real chance of throwing the ball. Especially if Cook is the RB. 

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, T master said:

This week is probably to this point a game that is as close to must win than any other the Bills have had this season given what it holds in the out come column . More than likely as we know if the Bills win they will get the #1 over all pick for home field & the team to beat in the AFC & we could finally get teams at home .

Also to this point of the season there has been some weapons that josh has at his disposal that haven't been over utilized this year TE's being one of them both Knox & Q have been used but not a lot in the passing game which could take the Bengals by surprise if they go that direction then if they throw in Gilliam being a hybrid TE/FB those 3 could be a huge surprise this game .

Q has shown he has really good hands the guy has made some really good catches this season at times the team really needed him & in the beginning of the season Gilliam made a few nice catches too then of course there is Knox he is just one more weapon they will have to plan for on top of the ones that get utilized most of the time .

Then throw in some Beasely in the soft spots underneath & i think Josh has all he needs to defeat the Bengals Monday night I just hope Dorsey incorporates more of those not used much to this point as a surprise tactic of attack this game .

Then if he throws in a Schnowman or a O lineman TD would be just the icing on the AFC divisional cake !! GO BILLS !!! 

Thats because you sent most of the weapons to Ukraine !!! 
Go Bills !!! 

I’m largely frustrated with not getting more pass catchers the ball. We move guys around a lot. We send Knox out on routes as much as any TE in the league. But we just throw the same 4 guys the ball. 

Some of that is Dorsey. Some Allen. 

• Like (+1) 1

Would not mind seeing Hines involved more in a variety of ways. This game to me seems ripe for the HBs to have success on the ground and through the air. He has that versatility and has not been used a ton yet. 

Generally I think this offense can operate with 2 of its 3 HBs on the field most of the time employing basically a triple RPO threat. Allen’s dual-threat-freakness and Singletary/Cook/Hines should be able to keep opening things up for the WRs and Knox. 

Hines and Shakir need to be more involved going forward. Hones in particular is deadly with the ball in his hands, and we're not succeeding in enabling that thus far. Morris is also intriguing and would mind seeing more of him. Cook has already started ramping up, but I think a Bills Championship has him in a better than 50/50 role.

7 hours ago, Allen2Diggs said:

I think Gilliam has been underutilized as a receiver. I would like to see him used as a target in the flat on play action more often. He has even shown an ability to get open up the seam on occasion.

Gilliam is def an unsung hero and a jack of all trades guy.

I still think Diggs is underused despite putting up close to his career numbers. I think Dorsey could be a lot more creative w/ him. 

Honorable mention: Hines

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.