Buffalo News analysis of Tremaine Edmunds this season

dave mcbride

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

What in your mind would constitute playing up to their draft selection?

I'd argue that Oliver who was a top ten pick has not even played remotely close to that draft spot. Quinnen Williams was taken top ten also, and has become better. Christian Wilkins has more impact on games then Oliver. 

Oliver is not even listed in top defensive tackle rankings in PFF 

22 hours ago, Neo said:

All due respect to you, but I think I’d describe your view as “Edmunds doesn’t do what you want to see him do because he’s busy doing what Frazier wants him to do.”  I’m an old school, splash play, big hit, linebacker fan with memories back to Ray Nitschke.  Edmunds does something completely different and the rest of the defenders have options they’d not have if he wasn’t covering acres playing the pass and the run, sideline to sideline, from the line of scrimmage with short and intermediate drops. I see the board split not as pro or con Edmunds, but as understand or not his role.

IMHO …. respectfully.

I dont think most on here have much of an issue with his use in pass coverage. He's very good to great in zone. He's average to below average in man.

Most people's issue with Edmunds is his ability to defend the run. He's truly awful. Yes he doesn't have many missed tackles because he is blocked so far out of the play. The other issue is his utter lack of developing any pass rush ability.  Both he and Milano blitz up the middle from time to time and Edmunds rarely if ever makes a play. 

At this point I would franchise him and bring him back for another year.  Have Oliver play on his fifth year option. Sign Poyer to a 3 year deal. Then I spend my early draft picks on offense. Ideally Bills win SB this year or next then you let some of these high priced defenders walk and retool the defense. 

14 minutes ago, Sharky7337 said:

I'd argue that Oliver who was a top ten pick has not even played remotely close to that draft spot. Quinnen Williams was taken top ten also, and has become better. Christian Wilkins has more impact on games then Oliver. 

Oliver is not even listed in top defensive tackle rankings in PFF 

You listed a lot more players than Ed Oliver

I think they should try to find a way to keep Edmunds. I think he has shown a ton of improvement this season. If not his replacement won’t come from FA because he really is the best guy on the market. 

Therefore it would have to come from the draft. I am in love with Jack Campbell. Like thats my draft crush. Also Noah Sewell is a monster. Both are great fits for what we do. The combine will probably tell us where they get drafted. Campbell instincts are off the charts and he’s as big as Tremaine, maybe not as fast. Inside linebacker is a back end of the first round type pick typically. 

22 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

Edmunds has had a fine season, but when we were getting gashed by the Dolphins, I felt it was exhibit A of why he shouldn’t get a substantial $14M/yr+ contract after this season. Allocate that money to the offense, specifically OL, and let Bernard or a rookie compete with AJK for the position opposite Milano. Sure the defense won’t be as strong, but seeing as how they never really shut down a top offense, it’s better to get Josh the help he needs to sustain a high level of play.
For a team up against the salary cap, tough decisions will be made…

You should watch the game again. This time pay particular attention to how Milano played. Mostert juked him so bad, it was embarrassing. He’s still missing his jockstrap after that one. Any mention of that? Of course not. And it wasn’t just that play either. It would have been it’s own “Edmunds “ thread. In every game I can find mistakes by Milano that “Edmunds haters” seem to always miss. 🤔

We held opponents to under their scoring average in 11 out of 15 games, including 3 in the top 10 in scoring. We held KC to 20 points. We would have held Minny to below their average but Josh gifted them at least 10 points. Our defense is second in scoring against to SF, but ok. 

On 12/31/2022 at 1:45 PM, KDIGGZ said:

If you did it based on play this season then it would be:

1. Poyer

2. Oliver

3. Edmunds

But I think they are going to put more weight on the position and their perceived importance to the defensive scheme so probably:

1. Oliver

2. Edmunds

3. Poyer (probably not able to retain)

Edmunds disappears in games and despite his gigantic size he seems to be easily blocked out of plays and isn't a big hitter. He doesn't make the "splash plays" that a star LB should be making. He plays the Kuechly position, he should be gobbling up stats but Milano is far and away the star of the LB's. I think they will sign him and hope that he keeps improving and you can't coach size and he is able to get in the way of a lot of passes without doing much but standing there

how many cliche, talking points can one put in one paragraph.

So, you can't coach size? Brilliant

8 hours ago, Sharky7337 said:

My issue is when the majority of players we draft and develop don't produce at their draft level until their last year before free agency if at all. The obvious two exceptions being  tre white, Edmunds(arguably), milano.

Oliver, epenesa, Basham, Phillips (harrison), Rousseau, Hamlin, Joquan, elam, the linebacker we took this year

Some of these are arguable and or having decent seasons, but if we are not getting the production except for one year and getting average to below average play while they "develop" it starts to look like a bad formula. By the time they become an asset they leave for money.

Oliver is being on the list due to his draft position more so then his play, but every year he's supposed to become this big impact guy, flashes like once or twice, but then never seems to be consistent

I see what your saying and it is frustrating, it seems like other teams have more breakout young guys than us in this McDermott/Beane era. But also, that is the norm for these young guys, come in and improve each year, and most aren’t stars right away. 

At this point in time, we do need to shift more towards guys who have an impact sooner, but that will be at the expense of something else (athletics traits, or not a position of need, etc). Unless things fall into place perfectly, there will be some give and take. 

One good thing to consider about developing more guys than we can afford is that we will have seen them in our system and will not be gambling as much as someone in FA from another team. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.