Would you consider the Boogie Basham pick to be a disappointment?

JohnNord

1 hour ago, Shanahan's Horseshoe said:

Ha Did you really just list a kicker?  Knox is an average starter.  Who knows what the hell Davis is at this point.  You mention Oliver, Singletary and Edmunds and say, “ well at they ain’t busts!” like that’s a badge of honor.  I would say, it’s not like any of them are impact starters although i’m more bullish Edmunds than most.  The truth is if McBeane hit on more high draft picks we’d be a much better team and not so reliant on a generational talent at QB.  As we’re constructed right now, Josh has to routinely put this team on his back.  

Are you really criticizing him for listing Bass?  He’s a really good kicker and has won 3 games this year. Darn near automatic with extra points. Don’t subscribe to the narrative that kickers aren’t players, cause good ones can be game changers. Think before you post…

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

so about this Basham fellow  ....

Yep; I got sidetracked as well.  Back to the point of the thread........to me, it is 100% goofy to label him a bust or not at this point in time. It is about 2 years to early to even assess the 2021 draft class, contrary to the "experts" on here.

Does he need to develop, evolve, and start to have impact in a more consistent manner? Absolutely.  But as a second round pick in his 2nd season, he is the least of our concerns. Let's see what year 3 holds for Boogie. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, whorlnut said:

Are you really criticizing him for listing Bass?  He’s a really good kicker and has won 3 games this year. Darn near automatic with extra points. Don’t subscribe to the narrative that kickers aren’t players, cause good ones can be game changers. Think before you post…

When making the case for a GM, listing a 5th round kicker first is laughable regardless of how good he is. Championship teams aren’t built around kickers.  They’re built on both lines and at QB.  I love Beane because I think he a huge part of the amazing culture and he drafted Josh. But he’s missed badly on the DL and OL - that’s not even debatable. 

16 minutes ago, Shanahan's Horseshoe said:

When making the case for a GM, listing a 5th round kicker first is laughable regardless of how good he is. Championship teams aren’t built around kickers.  They’re built on both lines and at QB.  I love Beane because I think he a huge part of the amazing culture and he drafted Josh. But he’s missed badly on the DL and OL - that’s not even debatable. 

I agree on these points but again you are belittling the value of Bass. He’s a huge part of this team even if he’s “just a kicker”. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

I agree on these points but again you are belittling the value of Bass. He’s a huge part of this team even if he’s “just a kicker”. 

Listen Mr Bass, your son is a very good kicker.  But if AJ, Boogie, Oliver or Ford play to their draft slot no one cares  about the kicker. That’s why there are about 2 or 3 drafted every year.  If Bass went down, we could bring in a kicker who’s pretty good off the streets.  Ya can’t do that with any other position other than punter. 

• Vomit 1

30 minutes ago, Shanahan's Horseshoe said:

NFL Special teams player of the month.  I guess that doesn’t count much in your book troll 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Shanahan's Horseshoe said:

Listen Mr Bass, your son is a very good kicker.  But if AJ, Boogie, Oliver or Ford play to their draft slot no one cares  about the kicker. That’s why there are about 2 or 3 drafted every year.  If Bass went down, we could bring in a kicker who’s pretty good off the streets.  Ya can’t do that with any other position other than punter. 

Hahahaha!!!! “No one cares about the kicker”. Are you the high school football player that thinks “he’s still got it” and was always led to believe kickers “aren’t football players”?  Bass has been ST player of the week and month on several occasions and directly can affect the outcome of a game on one play. In this case, he’s won 3 games this season with his leg. Sorry if that upsets your ego. 

And since we are talking about players off the street, what about Kingsley Jonathan who showed more last week than “Boogie”?  I’ll wait…

Edited by whorlnut
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Pete said:

NFL Special teams player of the month.  I guess that doesn’t count much in your book troll 

Dude your big point is that our very good kicker was the “ Special teams player of the month” and you’re calling me a troll?  Again, you can pull a kicker off the streets and he can do 80% of what bass does.  Happens all the time.  Trying to think of the last Kicker who was an MVP?  Or was his team’s MVP?  Are Kickers team leaders?  How many plays are they on the field for? Do you even football?

I’m not calling Kickers inconsequential but good god, there won’t be too many GMs with the kickers they drafted on their resume.  Jesus

• Dislike 1

5 minutes ago, Shanahan's Horseshoe said:

Dude your big point is that our very good kicker was the “ Special teams player of the month” and you’re calling me a troll?  Again, you can pull a kicker off the streets and he can do 80% of what bass does.  Happens all the time.  Trying to think of the last Kicker who was an MVP?  Or was his team’s MVP?  Are Kickers team leaders?  How many plays are they on the field for? Do you even football?

I’m not calling Kickers inconsequential but good god, there won’t be too many GMs with the kickers they drafted on their resume.  Jesus

When was the last time a CB was MVP?  So by your logic CBS aren’t that important 

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Hahahaha!!!! “No one cares about the kicker”. Are you the high school football player that thinks “he’s still got it” and was always led to believe kickers “aren’t football players”?  Bass has been ST player of the week and month on several occasions and directly can affect the outcome of a game on one play. In this case, he’s won 3 games this season with his leg. Sorry if that upsets your ego. 

And since we are talking about players off the street, what about Kingsley Jonathan who showed more last week than “Boogie”?  I’ll wait…

Dude honestly you sound like a psycho.  I have no clue why I’m responding to your completely absurd post other than to say, you’ve outed yourself as a former kicker.

I have a good friend who’s a former Kicker at a big time D1 school and made an NFL roster for a few games.  I know he takes his craft very seriously and works hard.  But he’d laugh at you trying to say that street DE’s are as plentiful as street Kickers.  And Boogie sucking is exactly the proof regarding Beane’s underwhelming draft record on the most important positions.  So you literally just proved my point.  

• Dislike 1

7 minutes ago, Pete said:

When was the last time a CB was MVP?  So by your logic CBS aren’t that important 

Clearly I’m being trolled.  Are you saying kickers are as important as DBs?  DB’s are some of the greatest players in NFL history - Morton Anderson or Deon LOL.  You cherry pick one thing I said and conveniently leave out the other points like leadership, team MVP, plays per game.  How about salary?  Do kickers get drafted high - why?  How many kickers are actually drafted per year?  you and @whorlnut   are either former kickers, have children that are kickers or are soccer players 😂

• Dislike 1

On 12/31/2022 at 11:45 AM, uticaclub said:

Gabe Davis is awful and holds the offense back. Knox is nothing special and not worth his contract. Poyer & Hyde were signed by Whaley. We missed the playoffs with a #1 defense with Marrone. This team is good but not great, i know no one bats 1.000 but no one also missed every move. Our 2nd & 3rd round drafting has been terrible with way too many misses in Free Agency

Absolutely brutal post. I have no idea how anyone is still backing Whaley after the dumpster fire he created. The Dareus contract, the Sammy Watkins trade, the EJ Manuel pick ... come on. 

Sean McDermott signed as head coach in January, 2017.

Brandon Beane became Bills GM in May, 2017

Poyer and Hyde were brought in during the 2017 free agency period.

You really think McDermott and Beane had nothing to do with the Poyer and Hyde signings? 

• Thank you (+1) 2

Definitely. He's not terrible by any means, but an OL or LB or WR would have helped a lot more. Shaq and AJ have kinda made Basham irrelevant. That's not what you want from a 2nd round pick. I really wish we could have drafted a better RT at that spot.

On 12/31/2022 at 11:05 AM, whorlnut said:

I disagree. If anything, the Bills bet on traits just as much as any team. Allen is a massive, strong qb. Edmunds is an alien at middle LB. Bass has one of the biggest legs in the league. Rousseau…which you mentioned, is a monster. Spencer Brown and Tommy Doyle are massive prospects.  Heck, even Tre has a crazy wingspan. 

I’ll give you Oliver and Bernard. Still think Oliver has been good, but my goodness was Bernard a horrible pick to this point. We needed oline depth and we took an undersized LB that nobody heard of. Terrible pick. 

Well I hate to tell you, but Edmunds is 100% an impact guy. Not even debatable. Did you notice how open the middle was in his absence this year?  Quit playing to the board narrative and be more open to the truth. 

Just because Edmunds is better than the trash behind him does not mean he’s a genuine impact guy.  He’s been much better this year for sure.

On 12/30/2022 at 6:27 PM, wppete said:

For a second round pick he is definitely a disappointment so far. Hopefully he turns it around. 

He’s maxed out. He’s a decent depth piece who will leave after his rookie contract. There’s no upside nor turning it around. He’s been more serviceable than I expected.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Rigotz said:

Absolutely brutal post. I have no idea how anyone is still backing Whaley after the dumpster fire he created. The Dareus contract, the Sammy Watkins trade, the EJ Manuel pick ... come on. 

Sean McDermott signed as head coach in January, 2017.

Brandon Beane became Bills GM in May, 2017

Poyer and Hyde were brought in during the 2017 free agency period.

You really think McDermott and Beane had nothing to do with the Poyer and Hyde signings? 

Whaley was not a good GM at all, but Beane was still employed by Carolina when Hyde & Poyer were signed and this team is 500 without Allen

• Eyeroll 1

On 12/30/2022 at 2:49 PM, FireChans said:

I don't think you can even say Beane is terrible at drafting WR's because he fails to even try.

I can't understand why anyone would think that Beanre is in charge of the draft. It just seems SO apparent to me that McDermott makes these calls. 

McDermott traded away the pick for Mahomes by trading down for a cornerback before Breane was even hired. no?

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.