Would you consider the Boogie Basham pick to be a disappointment?

JohnNord

21 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

OP starts a thread about specific player and in no time this is about all other draft picks and Beane drafting in general. SMH.

As for Basham, he seems like a fine rotational piece to me. If he was drafted in 3rd/4th he would be a nice pick, so yes, he is a little bit disappointing. But at the time when he was picked he was often mocked higher so this is fine with me. And he still has a chance to be a liitle bit better.

My only problem is that I've always felt we should be drafting OL more/sooner, and this looked like a good moment to draft Creed Humphrey (not a hindsight, I don't follow college, so I only knew him by name, but he was OL who seemed like a fit and was talked about when we picked) and now we know he should've been the pick.

Slow day at the office for most of us and draft is always a magnet for critique with the benefit of hindsight. 

With the way our cap is we will need more draft picks that can contribute early on rookie deals.

The luxury of 4 years to start to see results from picks is just not there anymore with the skyrocketing cost of retaining premier players at key roles.

Of course teams stash their projects on their practice squads, and good teams (and former OCs) keep tabs on all those guys.

There have been some misses, and the wiggle-room for those shrink as our cap tightens.

All competitive teams struggle with this cycle.

5 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Slow day at the office for most of us and draft is always a magnet for critique with the benefit of hindsight. 

With the way our cap is we will need more draft picks that can contribute early on rookie deals.

The luxury of 4 years to start to see results from picks is just not there anymore with the skyrocketing cost of retaining premier players at key roles.

Of course teams stash their projects on their practice squads, and good teams (and former OCs) keep tabs on all those guys.

There have been some misses, and the wiggle-room for those shrink as our cap tightens.

All competitive teams struggle with this cycle.

Which is why the Bills should be proactive and test the trade waters for guys like Oliver and Gabe this off-season. 

In my humble opinion…

I think you could get back a RD2 pick for each of them.

As of right now, I don’t think either makes a ton of sense to bring back after ‘23.  

A strong sprint to the finish line could change my mind on them, but that’s where I’m at right now. 

Bills will need to reload with cheap talent.  That comes via draft picks.  Why not get some more with players who aren’t essential to the team.   If they want to stay … become essential. 

Edited by SCBills

12 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Humphrey is a pro bowl center. You really wanna say this?  Who is the best and most important piece on our line? Morse. Humphrey could have been a very good guard for a few years and then stepped in and have been our pro bowl center instead of our biggest super bowl obstacle. I’d take that over Basham 100 times out of 100. 

No, Dawkins is the most important piece on our line. Not even close. And people just throw out this idea that Humphrey would be as good at guard as he is at center, but he was a full time center at Oklahoma. It is not an automatic 1:1 transition. It's certainly possible he would have made a difference on our OL this year but it isn't a game changing position. Sacks and pressures change games, not guards. The biggest problem with the OL this year is they paid the wrong guy in free agency and Spencer Brown has not developed at all.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Matt_In_NH said:

If we can live in hindsight we would have HOF level players at every position.  You make the decision with the information you have at the time.

So by that logic, we can never question or criticize a team's draft picks, because...hindsight.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Could’ve sworn we signed him during UFA? 

Didn’t Phillips say “sign the contract Shaq” during his press conference? 

He signed during UFA but it's fair to call him a street free agent..........he was released on January 8 and despite being able to negotiate with teams for 2+ months before UFA he was unable to secure a contract of any sort in that time.  

I tend to see street free agents as more of an in-season pickup but Nord is right............he was on the street for months and anyone could have signed him and they chose not to.........so the Bills picked him up for vet league minimum.

• Like (+1) 1

Basham is a decent DL rostational player. He’s more athletic than given credit great RAS, great sub 4.6 40 time. I’d argue it would be wiser to use him on 3rd down PR situations and use his speed and power to draw double teams and run LB spy stunts around his side. 

• Agree 1

No, I believe he is a nice rotational piece to our Dline. 

We picked Groot first, and he has proven to be an excellent player. To me, that helps take a little off the expectation off Bashsam and feel he’s where he ought to be in his development.  If Groot didn’t pan out, of course it would put more pressure on Basham.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Beane. He’s on record saying that he will always look at adding the defensive line. It’s a troubling stance cause I really don’t have a lot of faith they will look to add to the offense much this year. 

Troubling stance?  You're insane.  Having a dominant defensive line should be a top priority.  Above, dare I say, even the offensive line.

With Von we had a dominant defensive line, the best since Bruce was here.  We still have a very good defensive line and that is due to Beane realizing how important it is, adding and adjusting to it.  Boogie was an attempt at the additions/adjustments.

People here don't talk about this improved defensive line much because it doesn't fit the vocal minority's anti-Beane view.  Instead you see threads isolating one particular aspect to fit their mindset.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Disappointment  - Yes very much so. Like it or not second round picks need to contribute early and often. He has not.

Bust- Not yet. DL is a hard transition in the NFL. I think it is harder than CB. NFL Oline play is so much better than college. College DL just rush the passer and have little keys to learn. Also, Basham is too thick and too slow to be a 4-3 DE. He would be better as a 3-4 DE.  At this point its more likely than not he is a bust but he will get one more year to improve from sure.

2 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

No, I believe he is a nice rotational piece to our Dline. 

We picked Groot first, and he has proven to be an excellent player. To me, that helps take a little off the expectation off Bashsam and feel he’s where he ought to be in his development.  If Groot didn’t pan out, of course it would put more pressure on Basham.

Just because one player turns out doesn’t mean the other player shouldn’t feel pressure to.  

It was and has always been a bad pick in terms of positional need, player, resources used on the position etc. 

3 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Troubling stance?  You're insane.  Having a dominant defensive line should be a top priority.  Above, dare I say, even the offensive line.

With Von we had a dominant defensive line, the best since Bruce was here.  We still have a very good defensive line and that is due to Beane realizing how important it is, adding and adjusting to it.  Boogie was an attempt at the additions/adjustments.

People here don't talk about this improved defensive line much because it doesn't fit the vocal minority's anti-Beane view.  Instead you see threads isolating one particular aspect to fit their mindset.

Except the way they’re building the defense of line of quantity over quality is not sustainable. They don’t have a true difference maker on that D line. 

1 minute ago, TH3 said:

Puhlease….McD made the playoffs with Tyrod

With a miracle form Cincinnati*

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.