Rex Ryan attempted to trade EJ Manuel for Geno Smith in 2016(article)

Big Turk

1 hour ago, Golden*Wheels said:

That was IK Enemkpali, who Rex later brought here. He decked Geno for not paying his gambling debt! Can you imagine Rex then bringing him here if IK was still on the team (not sure if he would have been)? LOL. Good old Rex.

I came here to make some snarky comment intended to skewer Rex's revisionist B.S. ...

something along the lines of what you brought up! He brought in the guy that hit Geno lmao

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, BillsVet said:

Reminds me of Gregggg Williams claiming he wanted to draft Drew Brees in 2001. 

Revisionist history from has-beens

to improve their bad reps. 

Yep.

Henderson said the trade never came to fruition but it spoke to (Rex) Ryan’s confidence that he believed Smith would eventually be “a hell of a quarterback in this league.” 

😂

11 hours ago, BillsVet said:

Reminds me of Gregggg Williams claiming he wanted to draft Drew Brees in 2001. 

Revisionist history from has-beens

to improve their bad reps. 

Yeah, it's interesting Rex is telling this story now when Geno is finally playing well.    If true, why hadn't he talked about this before?

11 hours ago, prissythecat said:

yes, EJ just needed more time to perfect his ability to miss receivers by a mile lol

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ej-manuel-threw-one-of-the-worst-passes-ever-gets-benched-for-cardale-jones/

he was a long shot, but the franchise did him no favors. Short of a luck or manning type of prospect, any guy was an incredible king shot in that spot. 

at least they traded back first.

11 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Manuel was more of a "franchise QB" type due to his mannerisms. I totally think that EJ was ruined by the coaching staff of Saint Doug

One of the greatest flaws in Manuel’s game was that he had slow eyes. No coach is ever going to fix that.

16 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

Whaley/Nix picked Manuel over Geno when everyone and their mother said Geno was the #1 QB in the class and Manuel was a 3rd round project. 10 years later Geno is in the pro bowl and Manuel is a college football analyst

Still wouldn't want either QB.

2 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

If true why did rex love the guy that knocked out geno in the locker room when they were on the jets 

He had great feet.

I've never seen a college QB hit a wall like Geno did at WV.  He was an absolute monster the first half of his final season and on his way to being a top 3 pick.  And then out of nowhere, just couldn't get anything done in the second half.  It was bizarre to me.  I always liked the kid and am glad to see him getting a chance in Seattle.  

I also really like EJ and feel like he got hosed from a developmental standpoint, but oh well

• Like (+1) 2

With his leadership it wouldn't have made a difference he along with a few other coaches that have been in B/lo didn't have a clue o how to bring along a rookie QB in the NFL . 

The Pegs put their faith and confidence in him to lead the team to some where other than where his ego took them . I think the Bills have had a couple of QB's they drafted that if with some more stability & under different HC's could have been much better than they turned out .

I'm glad Geno has had the chance to redeem himself a bit because he has had some really - - - really bad seasons in the NFL & because of the type of guy our QB at the time EJ i would have liked to see him have better success than he did . I think he had the tools just no leadership to speak of .

The first HUGE red flag for sexy Rexy was taking a top 5 - 4-3 defense & trying to make those players fit a 3-4 and expecting Schwartz was going to stay to run it HELLO .....

Thank God Rex is gone & Geno is doing better !!!  

19 minutes ago, T master said:

The first HUGE red flag for sexy Rexy was taking a top 5 - 4-3 defense & trying to make those players fit a 3-4 and expecting Schwartz was going to stay to run it HELLO .....

Of all the stupidity that was Rex Ryan, this was the best, or worst. And that is saying something as there were so many to choose from. His new defense sucked, gave up nearly 500 yards in the second game of the season to the Jets and his answer was to fire the OC (Graig Roman) after two games. The Defense would go on on to have a historic drop from top 3 to the bottom part of the league. 

• Agree 2

Man not the best draft in the world for us with all those guys gone. 

Interesting fact, we have a good number of players on our roster who came out of that draft: Micah Hyde, Jordan Poyer, Xavier Rhodes, Sam Martin, David Quessenberry, Matt Barkley, AJ Klein

Obviously missed on hall of famers like Travis Kelce and Deandre Hopkins. But its a crapshoot

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.