Cole situation

Italian Bills

Beasley McKenzie Shakir—we should expect a mix snaps situationally. None is complete and each has glaring flaws. It’s like a 3-way tie for 5th ball touches <insert joke here> on the team. Do the grade 6 math and you get the low max snap count. 

Edited by Since1981
  • Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Think about it, Beasley is always banged up come playoff time, separated shoulder,  broken leg, ankle sprain etc.  It's a high injury position. 

Cole has nothing to prove in Buffalo.

I expect more receptions this week but nothing crazy. He can now enter the playoffs healthy...it's a BIG PLUS. Smart move

He also has to get back in game shape and learn a new playbook. It’s like working a holdout back into the lineup. Rarely 100% day 1.

plus his 100% today isn’t his 100% we remember 

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Both Cole and Smoke were desperation moves (smart desperation moves but moves made out of desperation) and given that both guys were off the scrap head I think they are just working both of them in slowly for a playoff run esp Cole who has more of a niche in the offense as there really is no true slot WR on the team.

I think they are cheap labor since Bills are close to salary cap and would rather not structure although there are a few players who will be FAs I would rather extend now.

Cole is back for 1). depth 2). good hands..and 3).his ability to find the openings in the underneath coverage areas...and maybe a little bit of vet tips for Shakir is what we get..

cole and brown are good depth signings esp for the playoffs where we go against better defenses and related coaching...Mckenzie has too many drops and Shakir is not ready for prime time at least this season.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

I think they are cheap labor since Bills are close to salary cap and would rather not structure although there are a few players who will be FAs I would rather extend now.

It’s a smart move to bring in a slot WR who knows Josh and the system and Brown is just cheap vet depth at a position where the Bills could use more production.

But both moves are kind of just throwing things at the wall and hoping they stick. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

18 hours ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Cole is going to be our secret weapon for when we host the Chiefs and brutally blow them!

“Brutally blow them” well okay then…

9 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

It’s a smart move to bring in a slot WR who knows Josh and the system and Brown is just cheap vet depth at a position where the Bills could use more production.

But both moves are kind of just throwing things at the wall and hoping they stick. 

Due to cost of some of the high end players I think the Bills will be using a lot of draft picks and free agents elevated for games in future.

The NFL does have stratification of teams despite all Cowpokes are trying to do but I think roster stratification is something we are going to have to deal with.  High priced players injured and elevated getting paid less than 1/10 of them per game taking their place.

well..OBJ and TY aren't coming...

so add the lack of salary cap space...bottom of the roster maintenance

the result is a couple of vets (add Rhodes, Klein, Marlowe, Shaq, Bark) who know the system and fit the culture...

no want drops during playoffs... and Bills are second worst in that stat ahead of only...Jax...b

2 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

The team was desperate for help at WR so they took a chance on two WR’s who haven’t played much or at all this season. 

The fact remains that the play calling terminology hasn't really changed under Dorsey. It's the same playbook with a few more wrinkles. Where it differs the most is the importance that is placed on different play types. Beasley had 82 catches for the Bills last year but his average per catch was down. He played through injuries and even played the previous year in the playoffs with a broken leg. He hasn't been out of the league for a year since he had time with the Bucs and now time with the Bills. It's been obvious this year that our offense has been missing Beasley's sure hands and on field awareness of the first down marker.

This reply isn't really directed at you but at the few people here who would seem to take pleasure in the chance that Cole performs poorly when called upon. It's sad when people who purport to be Bill's fans seem to want to be right rather than wish for their team's success. From what I saw in the thread here before Beasley was signed it seemed like the majority of the objections to Cole centered more on the media induced "locker room cancer" talk regarding the jab than his ability on the field. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

A bit off topic but I don't know why the Bills chose to pick up Brown instead of TYHilton. TY looks pretty good. A much better version of Brown. 

Because Brown at least has some experience with Josh Allen.  Apparently our offense is so complicated that Ty wouldnt have been able to play more than a few snaps until 2025.  Even Beasley had only 6 snaps last week and he said the offense is pretty much the same.

3 hours ago, 3rdnlng said:

The fact remains that the play calling terminology hasn't really changed under Dorsey. It's the same playbook with a few more wrinkles. Where it differs the most is the importance that is placed on different play types. Beasley had 82 catches for the Bills last year but his average per catch was down. He played through injuries and even played the previous year in the playoffs with a broken leg. He hasn't been out of the league for a year since he had time with the Bucs and now time with the Bills. It's been obvious this year that our offense has been missing Beasley's sure hands and on field awareness of the first down marker.

This reply isn't really directed at you but at the few people here who would seem to take pleasure in the chance that Cole performs poorly when called upon. It's sad when people who purport to be Bill's fans seem to want to be right rather than wish for their team's success. From what I saw in the thread here before Beasley was signed it seemed like the majority of the objections to Cole centered more on the media induced "locker room cancer" talk regarding the jab than his ability on the field. 

The offense missed having a reliable slot WR badly. Davis has been a mid-level WR2 and Crowder was supposed to platoon with Mac at the slot but Crowder got hurt and Mac is more of a gadget WR4 player and Shakir has struggled predictably as a rookie. The badly need a reliable slot WR.

Brining back Beasley makes sense given the context of the situation. Even if Beasley is just good for 3 catches 30 yards in a playoff game those 2-3 first downs might make the difference. 

Even kicking the tires on Brown is worth a shot. But my point is having high expectations for either (esp Brown) is not smart. Both guys are a bit older for the position and have a banged up injury history and neither really stuck with a team this year for a reason even though Beasley got a decent shot with Tampa.

I like both moves these are the low risk moderate reward moves to make in season, I just don’t have high expectations. 

On 12/29/2022 at 5:32 PM, Eastport bills said:

They’re ramping him up for the playoffs. He’ll get more targets this week and more against NE. 

They can only elevate him one more time in the regular season.  That would be a 3rd time.  Once we get into the post season they can elevate him every week while we are still in it.

So the decision is do you use him for the tough game against the Bengals, or do we just let him practice and use the Cheats as a tune up game to get him ready.

If he has a good week of practice, I’d rather have him for the Bengals.  He’s not what he was in his prime, but he can run a quick 8 yard route and sit on the dump off pass.  He can still get open, but most likely won’t get much YAC.  

We’re going to win against the Pats anyway, but we need that safety valve for MNF.  Shakir and McKenzie can handle the Pas after Diggs, Davis, and the RB’s.  Knox continuing to ramp up is critical.

9 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Because Brown at least has some experience with Josh Allen.  Apparently our offense is so complicated that Ty wouldnt have been able to play more than a few snaps until 2025.  Even Beasley had only 6 snaps last week and he said the offense is pretty much the same.

Maybe it's me but I see a lot of the same routes being run by the Wrs. TY is very experienced and I'm thinking he would have fit in pretty well. He looks decent in Dallas. 

2 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

The offense missed having a reliable slot WR badly. Davis has been a mid-level WR2 and Crowder was supposed to platoon with Mac at the slot but Crowder got hurt and Mac is more of a gadget WR4 player and Shakir has struggled predictably as a rookie. The badly need a reliable slot WR.

Brining back Beasley makes sense given the context of the situation. Even if Beasley is just good for 3 catches 30 yards in a playoff game those 2-3 first downs might make the difference. 

Even kicking the tires on Brown is worth a shot. But my point is having high expectations for either (esp Brown) is not smart. Both guys are a bit older for the position and have a banged up injury history and neither really stuck with a team this year for a reason even though Beasley got a decent shot with Tampa.

I like both moves these are the low risk moderate reward moves to make in season, I just don’t have high expectations. 

I pretty much agree with you but don't think Beasley was getting a fair chance with the Bucs, so he left them. As I understand it, Brady gave him some crap on the field during a game because they weren't on the same page concerning a route. I'd bet that Cole as a practice player didn't get much time to work with Brady. Anyway, Bill's fans know that he can work very well with a good QB.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.