Which Mentality? Underdog or Champion

Wizard

Both a Champion's Mentality and the Underdog Mentality make up a team's attitude and the way players approach the psychological preparation for a game.

What approach do you prefer for the Bills?  Do you want them to primarily be the hungry, scrappy, and we are glad to be fighting Underdog? Or, do you want them to be the confident, we have the skill and experienced champion approach with steady nerves like they've been there?

Each style is part of what defines a team's ability to thrive. success. Which approach do you feel would be most helpful for this Buffalo team?

For me, I want some fire in the belly and seeing disciplined but hunger and scrappy play. Give me the chip on the shoulder Underdog Mentality for this team. 

• Like (+1) 2

They must feel like champions to win it all. Without that confidence it won't happen.

But if they feel like they're dismissed by much of the NFL and media, that's cool too. 

You can still feel like a champ and feel like underdogs, IMHO. It's not a binary thing. But believing you can beat any team is paramount.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

I think as a fandom we are so used to Josh dominating that we’re uncomfortable with the defense leading the charge as of late. But we have to be comfortable with being uncomfortable. The run game and defense will lead us to the Super Bowl, not Josh. We have to make peace with that. 

Edited by quinnearlysghost88
  • Like (+1) 2

Just win the game in front of you, that’s all i want, these guys all want it bad!

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

I think as a fandom we are so used to Josh dominating that we’re uncomfortable with the defense leading the charge as of late. But we have to be comfortable with being uncomfortable. The run game and defense will lead us to the Super Bowl, not Josh. We have to make peace with that. 

I partially agree and partially disagree with this.  All of Josh, the run game, and defense will lead us to the Super Bowl.  Josh has not played his best lately and has made some poor decisions leading to key turnovers, but he has been clutch when the game is on the line, again and again.  The defense has kept us in games, for sure, but when the game was on the line, Josh has delivered.  Those winning drives have also featured key contributions from the running backs.

What makes this team dangerous in ways that other teams (such as last season's team) were not is that they are going to be more difficult to game plan against if they have multiple ways to beat you.

Edited by msw2112
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

I partially agree and partially disagree with this.  All of Josh, the run game, and defense will lead us to the Super Bowl.  Josh has not played his best lately and has made some poor decisions leading to key turnovers, but he has been clutch when the game is on the line, again and again.  The defense has kept us in games, for sure, but when the game was on the line, Josh has delivered.  Those winning drives have also featured key contributions from the running backs.

What makes this team dangerous in ways that other teams (such as last season's team) were not is that they are going to be more difficult to game plan against if they have multiple ways to beat you.

It's because the team believes in each other and in Josh.  They know he won't stop so you rarely see our guys stop until the whistle blows.  Josh has taken advantage of those extra efforts.

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

I agree with this. Over the last 2 games they've ran the ball the best they have in years and spread the ball around in the passing game. 9 different receivers have caught passes in each of those games and over the last 5 quarters Buffalo has rushed for 353 yards. With Allen, Singletary & Cook each getting a chunk of the yards.

They're spreading the Tds around also. Over those 2 games Allen, Singletary and Cook all have a rushed for a Td and Morris, Hines, Davis & Cook have a receiving Td, Knox has 2.

This team will be much harder to beat if they continue to spread the ball around effectively like they have been lately.

Edited by LOVEMESOMEBILLS

3 hours ago, msw2112 said:

The game has been on the line bc Josh has made bad decisions earlier in the game. We wouldn’t be in this spot late in games without him putting there in the first place. 

7 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I want calm Josh not hero ball sugar rush Josh. That's all that matters. 

Not that I’m picking on you but I really hate the Sugar High Josh moniker. I feel it takes away from his gunslinger, big play attitude. It doesn’t always work but its risk Vs reward. The Bills have lost 4 games over the past 25. He’s not sugar high or hero ball. It’s Josh Allen in all his glory. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

The bills have been the hunted all year I think the days of playing the underdog are over and have been for a little while

100% agree! The Bills have been the regular season SuperBowl for most teams. 

19 minutes ago, AlfaBill said:

Not that I’m picking on you but I really hate the Sugar High Josh moniker. I feel it takes away from his gunslinger, big play attitude. It doesn’t always work but its risk Vs reward. The Bills have lost 4 games over the past 25. He’s not sugar high or hero ball. It’s Josh Allen in all his glory. 

Fair enough but there is a reason Brady has 6 SuperBowls, Montana has 4, and Aikman 3.  These guys were absolute assassins in the playoffs with very few mistakes. Allen played that way last season but so far this year not so much. I just hope last seasons end doesn't make him think he has to do it all on his own. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.