Russell Wilson and Deshaun Watson failing good for QB market.

Ramza86

2 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Way way way too early to say on Watson, and a year or so early on Wilson as well.

Me, I hope to see Wilson pull it together with good coaching but Watson fail.

After all the ***** coming out about Wilson and his "Personal parking SPOTS, own office, own private team that had to meet with Hackett every week" I hope he fails. He put his "Brand" above football and didn't realize one feeds the other.

6 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Lamar Jackson wants 250 guaranteed and can't even stay healthy for a full season. Next year it will be Tua needing the big contract and I hope they pay him 

Lol Tua should hope for the ability to think straight after all his concussions.

Edited by TBBills
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Ramza86 said:

Good to see these absurd contracts fail. 

We were heading towards a real problem with QB contracts down the road. 

Just sharing a thought.

I'll hazard a guess and say you think QB contracts are becoming too rich, and with Wilson and Watson not meeting expectations, owners will be unwilling to continue the current escalation of QB contracts. I'm afraid you will be disappointed if that's what you're hoping for. As long as League and team revenues continue to rise so will player contracts. Therefore, with QB being the most important position on a team, QB contracts will probably continue to escalate faster than any other position. It will be interesting to see what Burrows and Herbert's contracts yield.

2 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

Lamar Jackson wants 250 guaranteed and can't even stay healthy for a full season. Next year it will be Tua needing the big contract and I hope they pay him 

Exactly. What Jackson wants, and his actual value are diverging gradually. I don't see that ending anytime soon. Should've taken the deal

5 hours ago, ganesh said:

Don't forget Murray in that mix!!!

Lamar may still get a contract similar to Wilson or Murray, but he will be in the same situation as Watson or Wilson.  Go Bills!

Burrow will be in line next to get the best contract and hopefully he will sign a team friendly deal for the Bengals.

Mahomes, Allen and Burrow will be the face of the AFC for the next decade.

Based on play on the field only Watson and Wilson deserved the contracts they got.  Murray really never did and never was a superstar, more an up and coming young QB who showed potential.  But they paid him the big bucks too soon.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I actually think it's good for the BIlls and Josh if guaranteed money for QBs stays high but the average salary doesn't escalate: It means our competitors will be stuck with overpriced QBs or will have a lot of dead money to deal with, making them less competitive.

We likely don't have to worry about guaranteed money with Josh as he a) has given ample evidence to show he is a top-level QB and b) he's pretty durable (yes, I know...).

So teams being stuck with bad QBs because of too much guaranteed money works for me. 

9 hours ago, Ramza86 said:

Just sharing a thought.

Back when the salary cap was invented, critics suggested the day would come when a handful of core players would make ALL the money and everyone else would make league average.

It's getting more like that all the time.

QBs SHOULD get almost all the money; they are the entire team they play on.

In the years ahead, it will get worse, not better, in terms of salary going to a few players, mostly the QBs.

9 hours ago, Greg S said:

Denver better hope Wilson turns it around. They gave up 2 1st Rd picks (2022, 2023) and 2 2nd Rd picks (2022, 2023) to get this guy. 

They killed the next several years with their Wilson move, I don't think he turns it around and suddenly becomes elite again next year...

• Like (+1) 1

If the league officiated to not bias itself towards the pass, then QB salaries would be lower because more teams would be successful running the football with merely solid QBs.  Imagine if teams with merely ordinary quarterbacking but great running games and good defence had done well for the last couple of decades.  Average QB salaries would still be higher than any other position for good reason, but they would not be getting ridiculous.

• Like (+1) 3

8 hours ago, Gugny said:

If there is one player who should not be representing himself, it's Lamar Jackson.  What a dolt.

So what do you think? That Jackson will be out of the league next year? Or is it more likely that some billionaire owner will give him a huge fully guaranteed contract? Yeah he’s the dolt.

12 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Mahomes has three pro bowl O lineman. Josh Allen doesn't have that. 

Burrow’s O-line isn’t anything to write home about, either.  I’m ultimately not worried about narratives flying around about Mahomes or Burrow, versus Josh.  If the Bills win on Monday night, everyone will be reminded of Josh’s greatness.  The longer the Bills play into the playoffs, the longer the media will talk about Josh versus others that are bounced early.

11 hours ago, ganesh said:

Don't forget Murray in that mix!!!

Lamar may still get a contract similar to Wilson or Murray, but he will be in the same situation as Watson or Wilson.  Go Bills!

Burrow will be in line next to get the best contract and hopefully he will sign a team friendly deal for the Bengals.

Mahomes, Allen and Burrow will be the face of the AFC for the next decade.

There is little chance Burrow signs a team friendly deal.  I think he’s as arrogant as Rogers in that respect, just without the man bun and ganja talk

20 minutes ago, Man with No Name said:

He is basically being represented by the NFLPA, which is terrible for him. Their goal is not to do what is good for Lamar, but to set the qb market at the most ridiculous level possible. 

Why would the NFLPA want QBs to make all the money?

12 hours ago, Ramza86 said:

Just sharing a thought.

Zach Wilson, Marcus Mariota/Desmond Ridder, Joahua Dobbs, and Carolina situations show you teams will still have no issue paying up given the chance.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.