Russell Wilson and Deshaun Watson failing good for QB market.

Ramza86

12 hours ago, ganesh said:

Don't forget Murray in that mix!!!

Lamar may still get a contract similar to Wilson or Murray, but he will be in the same situation as Watson or Wilson.  Go Bills!

Burrow will be in line next to get the best contract and hopefully he will sign a team friendly deal for the Bengals.

Mahomes, Allen and Burrow will be the face of the AFC for the next decade.

I kinda hope Burrow signs a non team friendly deal that eats up all the cap or with an NFC team. 

3 hours ago, chris heff said:

So what do you think? That Jackson will be out of the league next year? Or is it more likely that some billionaire owner will give him a huge fully guaranteed contract? Yeah he’s the dolt.

Well, since you asked, Christopher ... I think he should have taken the offer originally given to him before he proved to be an underperforming, injury prone running back ... quarterback.  And if there is a GM/owner out there who gives him a huge fully guaranteed contract, then they can enjoy 3/4 of a season of success and falling flat on their face in the playoffs for years to come.

33 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Well, since you asked, Christopher ... I think he should have taken the offer originally given to him before he proved to be an underperforming, injury prone running back ... quarterback.  And if there is a GM/owner out there who gives him a huge fully guaranteed contract, then they can enjoy 3/4 of a season of success and falling flat on their face in the playoffs for years to come.

You seem to be missing the point, it is about money and winning.  The NFL is a business. It entertains us. We pay for it. Whether Jackson is a running back or a quarterback is not the point. Winning is what pays. If an NFL owner thinks Jackson can win they will pay him. Haslam paid a quarter of a billion to a sexual devient. Wilson thinks he’s a celebrity that really doesn’t need football and yet he got paid. When you own a franchise I’m sure you will make better decisions than the 32 billionaires that own NFL franchises. But the fact remains you are not one of those 32 and one of them will pay Lamar Jackson hundreds of millions whether he has an agent or not.

16 hours ago, SCBills said:

Sounds like Lamar is angling for the Watson deal.  If someone does or does not give him that will say a lot moving forward about QB contracts.  

I don't necessarily think Wilson/Watson changes much.   Teams are still desperate for QB's.   I wouldn't be shocked if there isn't a bidding war over Derek Carr.  Not anything like Wilson, but Carr is going to have quite a few suitors this off-season. 

Lamar will get the franchise tag for a year or two if he continues to refuse Baltimore deals. 

16 hours ago, VaMilBill said:

I agree with you. But I think the media is dead set on making the face of the league Mahomes and Burrow and leaving Allen as an afterthought in the company of QBs like Lamar and Herbert. Allen is elite. There’s no question about that. The media just wants to push him back down for some reason 

Huh? Allen is widely praised by the media. The few who say anything negative are just doing it for the clicks.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Ramza86 said:

Good to see these absurd contracts fail. 

We were heading towards a real problem with QB contracts down the road. 

Just sharing a thought.

the Watson contract was unprecedented and hated by all the other owners in the league. That wasn’t going to be seen or used as a precedent no matter what he did on the field. 

the Wilson contract looks horrific right now, but there’s a slight chance he rebounds a bit next year and Denver salvages a little value out of that.

None of these things matter though. If you’re implying or expecting some sort of reset in thinking on vet QB contracts, it won’t. The market is what it is and the cap will keep increasing. 

Lamar seems next up. He will get his money. The Watson and Wilson situations will not affect him at all.

17 hours ago, T master said:

I totally agree given what the NFL market has decided to pay QB's & others to play a game IMHO the contracts are out of hand but like most other things now days the NFL fits right in with the way of the world .

So the people who make all the money for the league shouldn't be paid for it? Who should? One could credibly argue that they're underpaid.

22 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Way way way too early to say on Watson, and a year or so early on Wilson as well.

Me, I hope to see Wilson pull it together with good coaching but Watson fail.

I agree on Watson being to soon. He hadn’t played in over a year, it will take time for him get back into the swing of things and build chemistry with his WR.  As for Wilson he looks like hot garbage and has no such excuse… he may get a little better but it seems obvious that he was a System QB in Seattle. 

4 hours ago, MJS said:

Huh? Allen is widely praised by the media. The few who say anything negative are just doing it for the clicks.

I disagree. Every time I hear about the top tier QBs is only Mahomes and Burrow that are talked about. Josh seems to be a tier below them in their eyes, which I vehemently disagree with. 

• Disagree 1

28 minutes ago, VaMilBill said:

I disagree. Every time I hear about the top tier QBs is only Mahomes and Burrow that are talked about. Josh seems to be a tier below them in their eyes, which I vehemently disagree with. 

It’s all narrative driven.  If Allen plays well Monday Night and we win, Allen will be viewed as the best QB in the NFL, leading the team that beat KC and Cinci into the playoffs as the Super Bowl favorite. 

Heading into the game, Mahomes leads the MVP race, with Burrow seemingly in 2nd place.  That’s why they lead the segments right now.   Hurts fell off due to the injury as Minshew, as many suspected would happen, lit it up on that offense.   Allen has fallen behind because his numbers have been meh over the last two months with us running the ball more and playing in garbage weather.  

My personal opinion.. Allen will get an MVP at some point, but he doesn’t really have a regular season MVP playing style.  He does what he needs to do, has lots of ups and downs throughout the season, but has a level nobody can match in big games. 

Regular season game vs random meh team who’s playing a two-deep shell giving Allen check downs all game to inflate his completion percentage and methodically work down the field...  Allen isn’t that guy.  Burrow is.  Mahomes will reluctantly do it.  Allen, not so much.  Leads to some rocky games where he forces it.  He’s clearly more willing, and more locked in, in big games and the playoffs.  It’s very evident. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

It’s all narrative driven.  If Allen plays well Monday Night and we win, Allen will be viewed as the best QB in the NFL, leading the team that beat KC and Cinci into the playoffs as the Super Bowl favorite. 

Heading into the game, Mahomes leads the MVP race, with Burrow seemingly in 2nd place.  That’s why they lead the segments right now.   Hurts fell off due to the injury as Minshew, as many suspected would happen, lit it up on that offense.   Allen has fallen behind because his numbers have been meh over the last two months with us running the ball more and playing in garbage weather.  

My personal opinion.. Allen will get an MVP at some point, but he doesn’t really have a regular season MVP playing style.  He does what he needs to do, has lots of ups and downs throughout the season, but has a level nobody can match in big games. 

Regular season game vs random meh team who’s playing a two-deep shell giving Allen check downs all game to inflate his completion percentage and methodically work down the field...  Allen isn’t that guy.  Burrow is.  Mahomes will reluctantly do it.  Allen, not so much.  Leads to some rocky games where he forces it.  He’s clearly more willing, and more locked in, in big games and the playoffs.  It’s very evident. 

Mahomes, Burrow, Herbert, Hurts can take turns winning the MVP year after year. I wouldn't care as long as Josh gets a Lombardi or two along the way.

14 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Back when the salary cap was invented, critics suggested the day would come when a handful of core players would make ALL the money and everyone else would make league average.

It's getting more like that all the time.

QBs SHOULD get almost all the money; they are the entire team they play on.

In the years ahead, it will get worse, not better, in terms of salary going to a few players, mostly the QBs.

At one time, some rookies (primarily QBs) were holding out for top dollar without ever having taken an NFL snap. The vets and the owners didn't like that, so they implemented a rookie pay scale.

Since non-QBs far outnumber QBs, I could see the NFLPA going for some kind of a deal where the salary for one player (presumably the QB) isn't more than a certain percentage of the team's cap. Owners would go for it because it protects them from being held hostage by someone like Aaron Rodgers, who got such a big contract that the Packers couldn't keep their best WR, and now they're struggling to make the playoffs even though they have a top-five QB.

23 hours ago, VaMilBill said:

I agree with you. But I think the media is dead set on making the face of the league Mahomes and Burrow and leaving Allen as an afterthought in the company of QBs like Lamar and Herbert. Allen is elite. There’s no question about that. The media just wants to push him back down for some reason 

what world do you live in? Allen gets universal praise...every game...every tv show, every podcast....seriously

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.