Russell Wilson and Deshaun Watson failing good for QB market.

Ramza86

5 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

Good to see these absurd contracts fail. 

We were heading towards a real problem with QB contracts down the road. 

Just sharing a thought.

Is it good for the QB market? Any chance QBs see Watson/Wilson failing hard and saying they deserve to be paid more than those bums?

Don't forget Murray in that mix!!!

Lamar may still get a contract similar to Wilson or Murray, but he will be in the same situation as Watson or Wilson.  Go Bills!

Burrow will be in line next to get the best contract and hopefully he will sign a team friendly deal for the Bengals.

Mahomes, Allen and Burrow will be the face of the AFC for the next decade.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, Watkins101 said:

Is it good for the QB market? Any chance QBs see Watson/Wilson failing hard and saying they deserve to be paid more than those bums?

I cant see another owner doing something as dumb as fully guaranteeing a contract.

It would be horrendous for owners.

The NFL would have to probably step in and adjust the cap if QBs end up controlling almost 50% of its cap the way the QB market is heading. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

I cant see another owner doing something as dumb as fully guaranteeing a contract.

It would be horrendous for owners.

The NFL would have to probably step in and adjust the cap if QBs end up controlling almost 50% of its cap the way the QB market is heading. 

OIP (3).jpg

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 5

16 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

Good to see these absurd contracts fail. 

We were heading towards a real problem with QB contracts down the road. 

Just sharing a thought.

I totally agree given what the NFL market has decided to pay QB's & others to play a game IMHO the contracts are out of hand but like most other things now days the NFL fits right in with the way of the world .

• Haha (+1) 1

Sounds like Lamar is angling for the Watson deal.  If someone does or does not give him that will say a lot moving forward about QB contracts.  

I don't necessarily think Wilson/Watson changes much.   Teams are still desperate for QB's.   I wouldn't be shocked if there isn't a bidding war over Derek Carr.  Not anything like Wilson, but Carr is going to have quite a few suitors this off-season. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Don't forget Murray in that mix!!!

Lamar may still get a contract similar to Wilson or Murray, but he will be in the same situation as Watson or Wilson.  Go Bills!

Burrow will be in line next to get the best contract and hopefully he will sign a team friendly deal for the Bengals.

I would add in Lawrence as well. (Not yet of course)

He has for superstar written all over him 

15 minutes ago, T master said:

I totally agree given what the NFL market has decided to pay QB's & others to play a game IMHO the contracts are out of hand but like most other things now days the NFL fits right in with the way of the world .

why are they out of hand? The owners make billions on TV contracts and QB is most important position. Yes, it's a game but also a multibillion dollar business

• Agree 1

51 minutes ago, ganesh said:

I agree with you. But I think the media is dead set on making the face of the league Mahomes and Burrow and leaving Allen as an afterthought in the company of QBs like Lamar and Herbert. Allen is elite. There’s no question about that. The media just wants to push him back down for some reason 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

1 minute ago, VaMilBill said:

I agree with you. But I think the media is dead set on making the face of the league Mahomes and Burrow and leaving Allen as an afterthought in the company of QBs like Lamar and Herbert. Allen is elite. There’s no question about that. The media just wants to push him back down for some reason 

Allen making it to the SB over Mahomes or Burrow this season would force narratives to change.  That’s one thing those guys have that he does not.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

30 minutes ago, nucci said:

why are they out of hand? The owners make billions on TV contracts and QB is most important position. Yes, it's a game but also a multibillion dollar business

They are out of hand only because there is a salary cap. 

The league cannot let its QBs take up 50% of a salary cap without having a a worse product on the field to offset it...

But it cannot also remove a salary cap because...lets face it...its a horrible idea and we dont need only the richest owners to have good teams.

It has to find some sort of middle ground. 

7 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

I think the true test of whether these contracts are failures will be when their fanbases stop renewing season tickets and their revenue plummets.  If you were a Broncos fan, how much would you pay to watch that crap?

This ^

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

7 minutes ago, boyst said:

The cherry on top will be Lamar Jackson's contract.  Poor bastard didn't know what was good for him. 

If there is one player who should not be representing himself, it's Lamar Jackson.  What a dolt.

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.