2023 Draft- Wide Receiver discussion

NewEra

34 minutes ago, NewEra said:

No offense Grundlepoo, but that’s a strange comment coming from the guy beating down the door for RBs in rd 1-  the position that always has talented players later in the draft. 

There's "talented" then there's "sure fire" players. Breece and Bijan, IMO, are "sure fire". Kenneth Walker, Dameon Pierce I considered " talented". I like Johnston, but check his dropped pass rate. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I like his teammate Dontay Demus Jr. too. Big body, contested catch guy. Injury concerns though, but so was Pickens. Demus was the guy in MD prior to his injury. 

Thanks. I'll have to watch some highlights and read a little more on him. The ACL injury would always be stuck in my mind though. Usually cross players off my list when I see ACL (Drafting players at least).

2 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

There's "talented" then there's "sure fire" players. Breece and Bijan, IMO, are "sure fire". Kenneth Walker, Dameon Pierce I considered " talented". I like Johnston, but check his dropped pass rate. 

Kenneth Walker was sure fire. He will end up being the best back from that class when they are all said and done and careers are complete.

36 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Did anyone think Justin Jefferson would be what he is today?  If you say yes, then why did he last till 22?  The point is…there should be someone there when we pick that can step in and compete with Davis next year and be the guy the following year. 

You talk about “immediate impact” as if it’s a thing with this team. How many times have we seen this staff bring rookies along painfully slow?  

He lasted because other teams "reached" for need pieces instead of best player available. Luckily the Vikings scored on a "need" piece in Jefferson. 

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

That’s no way to live John.  season 2 episode 3 GIF

Interesting- I watched some Jarrett-  he reminded me of Curtis Samuel.  Nothing really stood out to me except his athleticism, but I haven’t watched very much yet.  Maybe a poor man’s Dj Moore?

Haven't watched Jarrett yet. Just some light reading so far. Will have to do some more research on him. Just a mid-late round thought considering what we've gotten from Diggs. Can lighting strike twice?😉😁

I like Xavier Hutchinson, even though some may not. He has basically been Iowa St.'s only option in the WR group this year, the defense knows it, and they still can't stop him from getting the ball. He has accounted for 1/4 of his team's total yards on offense. He's 6'3" and somewhere between 205-210lbs. The boy can ball and is a solid Day 2 prospect. 

I also like Cedric Tillman from Tennessee. He's another solid, Day 2 prospect imo. Injuries held him up a bit this year, but the guy is talented and understands how to play the position on many levels. He uses tempo, route running, his size, and can turn on the speed when needed. Another 6'3" 215lb WR who would be a good target for Josh in this offense. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

He lasted because other teams "reached" for need pieces instead of best player available. Luckily the Vikings scored on a "need" piece in Jefferson. 

If you can’t recognize WR as a need after this season then I think you just don’t want to see it. 

2 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Well not quite, don't forget Ruggs (12), Jeudy (15), Lamb (17), Reagor (21) were all taken in front of him. 

Coming out of college there was a lot of talk that Jefferson benefited too much playing from the slot on LSU basically being given free space at will and that wouldn't be there for him in the NFL.

2 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

If you can’t recognize WR as a need after this season then I think you just don’t want to see it. 

It's definitely a need, but I don't want them to reach for a player. Especially in rd 1 if  he's not considered "immediate impact"

2 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

Well not quite, don't forget Ruggs (12), Jeudy (15), Lamb (17), Reagor (21) were all taken in front of him. 

Coming out of college there was a lot of talk that Jefferson benefited too much playing from the slot on LSU basically being given free space at will and that wouldn't be there for him in the NFL.

All of those players were considered better than Jefferson according to the "experts". You even stated their considered evaluation of Justin. Ruggs, Jeudy, Lamb all put up big numbers at well known colleges. Reagor was considered the "speed demon" Philly desired

13 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Breece wasn’t considered to be a Bijan talent according to anyone but you.  That was evident when he went rd 2.  No chance Bijan lasts til rd 2.  But we won’t get into Breece Hall.  He’s a broken jet.  

yeah, Johnston’s hands have been inconsistent.  From what I’ve seen so far, his drops have been a focus issue rather than technique.  I just think his pros far outweigh his one cons and he’s a perfect compliment to Diggs.  WRs are super expensive.  RBs are super cheap. Draft the WR and have him under control for 5 years so we can spend $ elsewhere. 

Which FA WRs would you like to sign in order to upgrade the position?  I can tell you now, there isn’t anyone worth the price,  We cant afford to miss at this position.  

3 hours ago, Bills Survivor said:

I thought the 5th year option only applied to players picked in the first round? Davis was a fourth rounder and has slightly exceeded the expectations of that draft slot but is not good enough to be the 1B that would take this offense to the next level. This seems to be the consensus right now among the fans.

Correct

The conversation is about the reasons to draft a WR in the 1st. It isn’t about Davis.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, NewEra said:

The OP list is just the guys I’ve seen most of.  I don’t know much about him other than he’s supposed to be selected before we pick and he doesn’t have the prototypical size/speed I was hoping for.  That’s not to say he’s not going to be a great pro.  I have to watch more.  Is he a Keenan allen-ish type prospect?  

The purpose of the post is to get all the WR draft prospect discussion in one spot because there will be a lot of it.  Please discuss what you know about JSN so we can all learn more.  I just don’t know enough yet to discuss.

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Need to dig back into the 2021 film. I know he was super impressive last year because he flashed when I was grading Olave and Wilson but I wasn't breakong him down back then. The concern I have heard on him other than the obvious (injury) is that he is really a slot guy in the NFL. Is that fair do you think? Or can he win outside? 

He’s Diggs 2.0. He’s a ridiculous route runnner with outstanding hands. He just gets open. He may be a slot guy at the next level, especially early, but so what. That’s what Diggs was too. We just added our a slot guy out of retirement. If the Bills want to use him, like they did Beasley. Earlier in his career, so be it. That is a big need.

JSN is more explosive than he gets credit for. The Bills need a WR that they can count on. They have some guys that can go crazy (like Davis and McKenzie). JSN would add some stability. He’d be a star for the Bills IMO.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Greg S said:

Probably have to look at WR's who will be there in the 2nd or 3rd rounds. My guess is the Bills go OL in Rd 1.

As I think they should. This is said to be a strong class IOL (O'Cyrus Torrance has been mocked to us in the first) while the WR group looks to be weaker than in recent years and mostly slot/power slot receiver types when what we need is a big bodied vertical outside guy who can make contested catches. Johnston would be the ideal pick but he's very unlikely to be there for us late in the first (assuming WR was the priority position of need for the Bills, which is not the case). Tillman likely won't be there when we pick in the third. He lacks Johnson's athleticism and speed but he could well develop into the Hodgins receiver type except much better (faster, stronger, more physical/aggressive). If the Bills want him it would have to be our second imo (if at all). Don't know that they go there.

9 hours ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

I'm with Gunner in this. What I've read and seen so far, not one of the stronger classes. I do like what I have seen and read so far on Rice. He may grade out as an early day 2, but if I had to guess right now, he will go on day 1 and I'd be good with it.

I was just reading some on Rakim Jarrett from Maryland. Day 2/3 pick. Made Feldmans Freak list. Similar measurables to Diggs. Maybe get lucky again from MD?😁

https://thedraftnetwork.com/sr-prospect/rakim-jarrett-5ce28118-eb17-4406-9179-805fa90e73e3/

6 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I like his teammate Dontay Demus Jr. too. Big body, contested catch guy. Injury concerns though, but so was Pickens. Demus was the guy in MD prior to his injury. 

I like both of these guys. They were the reason to watch Maryland football.

Not first round talented, but definitely day 2 picks. Keep an eye on these two.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Breece wasn’t considered to be a Bijan talent according to anyone but you.  That was evident when he went rd 2.  No chance Bijan lasts til rd 2.  But we won’t get into Breece Hall.  He’s a broken jet.  

yeah, Johnston’s hands have been inconsistent.  From what I’ve seen so far, his drops have been a focus issue rather than technique.  I just think his pros far outweigh his one cons and he’s a perfect compliment to Diggs.  WRs are super expensive.  RBs are super cheap. Draft the WR and have him under control for 5 years so we can spend $ elsewhere. 

Which FA WRs would you like to sign in order to upgrade the position?  I can tell you now, there isn’t anyone worth the price,  We cant afford to miss at this position.  

The PRICE is the problem!! Think Davante or Hopkins not gonna want out of their situations? I wanted DJ Chark before he went to Detroit. There are some prospects playing in the Cheez It bowl, Marvin Mims(Okla) and Johnny Wilson(Fl. St) although Wilson hasn’t declared yet

9 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

The PRICE is the problem!! Think Davante or Hopkins not gonna want out of their situations? I wanted DJ Chark before he went to Detroit. There are some prospects playing in the Cheez It bowl, Marvin Mims(Okla) and Johnny Wilson(Fl. St) although Wilson hasn’t declared yet

Yeah, the price is the problem.  It’s a monumental problem.  Gotta draft WR talent,  stock up for 17

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.