2023 Draft- Wide Receiver discussion

NewEra

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The 5th year option is an interesting element that I hadn’t considered. With the rising cost of star receivers it is a good idea.

Especially when you consider he might have a year where he might not get a ton of PT with Davis still around. That would leave 4 years at a reasonable team-friendly rate. By that time, Diggs will be in his 30’s and we could extend the new guy and roll right along. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BearNorth said:

PFF Mock out yesterday has the Bills taking Texas RB Bijan Robinson with the #31 pick.  This board would revolt if the Bills picked a RB in Rd1.

Not this guy. Robinson best back since Saquan. Him and Cook together would be a lethal combo and make our O incredibly dangerous. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Seoulofstone said:

Thing is you’re paying Bates as a starting guard and the Bills are tight to the cap. Saffold came to Buff because of the OL coach and despite being mediocre he wants to stay. So if you pay him (even vet min) which is conceivable in my mind but not necessarily in his, you set yourself up to move on from Bates. I’m not advocating for any of this. I’m just wary of fan driven narratives about draft need.

If Morce decides to retire, we should take a serious look at moving Bates to center and drafting a Center guard combo player to bring along

• Agree 5

17 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The 5th year option is an interesting element that I hadn’t considered. With the rising cost of star receivers it is a good idea.

I thought the 5th year option only applied to players picked in the first round? Davis was a fourth rounder and has slightly exceeded the expectations of that draft slot but is not good enough to be the 1B that would take this offense to the next level. This seems to be the consensus right now among the fans.

8 minutes ago, Bills Survivor said:

I thought the 5th year option only applied to players picked in the first round? Davis was a fourth rounder and has slightly exceeded the expectations of that draft slot but is not good enough to be the 1B that would take this offense to the next level. This seems to be the consensus right now among the fans.

Yes…the fifth year only applies to first round picks, which is why you see teams trading back into the first to get a qb that slips. They want that extra year of player control. 

Davis’s deal is up after next year. He was signed on a 4 year rookie deal, with no fifth year option. This is one of the main reasons a first round WR makes a lot of sense for this year. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, whorlnut said:

Yes…the fifth year only applies to first round picks, which is why you see teams trading back into the first to get a qb that slips. They want that extra year of player control. 

Davis’s deal is up after next year. He was signed on a 4 year rookie deal, with no fifth year option. This is one of the main reasons a first round WR makes a lot of sense for this year. 

When will y'all learn to stop reaching for "because we need" picks. There will be talented receivers to choose from in later rounds. 

• Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Can we add JSN to the list? Last year, he was the best of the Buckeyes WRs and that includes Olave & Garrett Wilson. He actually reminds me a little of Diggs. He can win anywhere & would be the OROY in the Bills offense.

The OP list is just the guys I’ve seen most of.  I don’t know much about him other than he’s supposed to be selected before we pick and he doesn’t have the prototypical size/speed I was hoping for.  That’s not to say he’s not going to be a great pro.  I have to watch more.  Is he a Keenan allen-ish type prospect?  

The purpose of the post is to get all the WR draft prospect discussion in one spot because there will be a lot of it.  Please discuss what you know about JSN so we can all learn more.  I just don’t know enough yet to discuss.

27 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

When will y'all learn to stop reaching for "because we need" picks. There will be talented receivers to choose from in later rounds. 

There will be talented linemen and defensive players in later rounds too. Other than the Diggs trade, Beane hasn’t drafted a single WR before round 4. That’s not good enough on a team like this whose identity is throwing the ball. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Can we add JSN to the list? Last year, he was the best of the Buckeyes WRs and that includes Olave & Garrett Wilson. He actually reminds me a little of Diggs. He can win anywhere & would be the OROY in the Bills offense.

Need to dig back into the 2021 film. I know he was super impressive last year because he flashed when I was grading Olave and Wilson but I wasn't breakong him down back then. The concern I have heard on him other than the obvious (injury) is that he is really a slot guy in the NFL. Is that fair do you think? Or can he win outside? 

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

If Morce decides to retire, we should take a serious look at moving Bates to center and drafting a Center guard combo player to bring along

Totally agree that it’s very real and worrying possibility. But his retirement shouldnt be something we hope for. It will bring dead cap, create another hole and disrupt OL continuity as well as no doubt bringing a drop off short term. I’m not hearing much enthusiasm for center prospects this year, although I see Schmitz has position versatility.

Joe Marino mentioned that Morse in his media has been very unfazed about how the concussion affects him going forward. Maybe Morse would say that though regardless of his prognosis? 

Edited by Seoulofstone

1 minute ago, Seoulofstone said:

Totally agree that it’s very real and worrying possibility. But his retirement shouldnt be something we hope for. It will bring dead cap, create another hole and disrupt OL continuity as well as no doubt bringing a drop off short term. I’m not hearing much enthusiasm for center prospects this year, although I see Schmitz has position versatility.

Joe Marino mentioned that Morse in his media has been very unfazed about how the concussion affects him going forward. Maybe he would say that though regardless of his prognosis? 

It’s possible, this will be like his sixth concussion as you know they get progressively worse and easier as time goes on and the bills should always try to be one step ahead in they’re planning

30 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

There will be talented linemen and defensive players in later rounds too. Other than the Diggs trade, Beane hasn’t drafted a single WR before round 4. That’s not good enough on a team like this whose identity is throwing the ball. 

I don't see any Jamarr Chase, Justin Jefferson, Garrett Wilson's in this draft. This pick at 31 needs to be an immediate impact player. Many wanted to reach for a CB last year because it was a "need" when there were immediate impact players available like Breece Hall, George Pickens, etc. If Bijan Robinson is there at 31, you absolutely take him. #31 has to be immediate plug and play no matter what position it is

We have quality WRs but we obviously lack depth. WR should not be a day 1 or 2 priority. Maybe UDFA. O-Line should be a priority after watching Quessenberry try to fill in. LB and Safety are priorities. You improve the O-line, RB becomes less of a priority. 

30. Antonio Johnson S Texas A&M - assuming Poyer is gone

62. Tommy Eichenberg LB Ohio State - assuming Edmunds is gone

94. Steve Avila OG TCU - can also play C

130. Olusegun Oluwatimi OC Michigan - Morse concussions

135. Jalen Graham LB Purdue - Our LB depth is bad

162. Cody Mauch OT North Dakota State - started as a TE in college - banking on better than average athleticism 

OR

Charlie Jones WR Purdue - 1st in receptions  

• Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Solomon Grundy said:

No offense Grundlepoo, but that’s a strange comment coming from the guy beating down the door for RBs in rd 1-  the position that always has talented players later in the draft. 

22 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I don't see any Jamarr Chase, Justin Jefferson, Garrett Wilson's in this draft. This pick at 31 needs to be an immediate impact player. Many wanted to reach for a CB last year because it was a "need" when there were immediate impact players available like Breece Hall, George Pickens, etc. If Bijan Robinson is there at 31, you absolutely take him. #31 has to be immediate plug and play no matter what position it is

Meh, I’d rather draft a WR, OL, DL that might be in a time share year one than drafting a S or MLB in rd 1.  Both positions may be wide open next year.  

How much tape have you watched of these WR prospects?  It’s hard to have that opinion if you don’t know much about the prospects.  I think Johnston is going to be a star in the right system.  Especially ours. 

26 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Did anyone think Justin Jefferson would be what he is today?  If you say yes, then why did he last till 22?  The point is…there should be someone there when we pick that can step in and compete with Davis next year and be the guy the following year. 

You talk about “immediate impact” as if it’s a thing with this team. How many times have we seen this staff bring rookies along painfully slow?  

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I really like what little I’ve seen from Josh Downs.  Man, he would be a serious upgrade for this team at slot WR, but is the slot a position worth even a late first?  I would not think that he would make it past the early 2nd.

Hyatt from Tennessee has speed and played well this year, too.

Parker Washington is an atypically thickly built slot option.

A slot beast is absolutely worth a #1 to me.  Would need to be a zone beater like Cole 2020, but wpuld prefer they also bring elite speed. Cant say i know who that is, but we are sorely missing production out of that position!

Chain moving is alwaya going to help points, but the dink n dunk offense is always reliable, unlike a team relying on big plays constantly.

Also helps control TOP (was essentially our run game 2020) and keep defemse fresh. Love it!

Anyone know who matches that profile best?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.