2023 Draft- Wide Receiver discussion

NewEra

Seeing as the O line is or seems to be a weak point by the experts here I would say they should make that a priority unless of course Wyatt Teller get sick & tired of being with the Browns then i would go after him but they do need some better O linemen in the next draft .

The WR room has it's core players & they have been developing Shakir with the hopes that he can make it on the field more & i don't see the Bills bringing Bease back next year unless he gives them 1 heck of a deal but he would still be on the outside looking in as far as the future of the team goes .

There may be others that are put out to pasture because i don't see that the investment they made in Mckenzie has panned out the way they planned so he may not be here next year either depending on his contract .

But i think there are other areas on the team that will take priority but in true Beane fashion i could see him picking up a good prospect like he did with Gabe & Hodgins in the later rounds just not a early pick .

59 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

PFF Mock out yesterday has the Bills taking Texas RB Bijan Robinson with the #31 pick.  This board would revolt if the Bills picked a RB in Rd1.

Bijan Robinson/James Cook might literally be the most talented RB duo in the NFL... on a team that doesn't run the ball.

Normally I'd be ok taking someone as talented as Robinson, because if a game breaker is there at RD1... shouldn't you take the elite talent?... but we need OL/WR.. and James Cook, IMO, is going to be a great RB1 next year.  

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

It’s looking like We’ll be looking to draft at least 1 WR in the first 2 days of the draft.  We’ve gone back to John Brown and Cole Beasley.  Two moves that I’m happy about…. Which is why WR must be addressed early in the draft.  

I just wanted to get the discussion going and see who you guys like and in which rounds.

Just from watching a decent amount of college football this year and watching a couple hours of highlights, this WR group has some intriguing talent and some electricity in small packages.

I’ll get it started by talking about the guys I’ve seen the most of.  

Quintin Johnston-  TCU-   Early on in the process (only watched live games and highlights), I think I’d give up this years 1st and next years 2nd for him.  6’4, 215 tackle breaking rac monster.  He looks special to me and I think he’ll be a top 10 pick and the 1st wr taken. He’d be perfect compliment to Diggs and a sure fire hall of famer with Josh throwing to him….. as long as he clean up his concentration lapse drops.  As of 12/29, he’s the guy I want.  A guy can dream.  😔 

Kayshon Boutte-  LSU-  disappointing junior year and I’m hearing serious character issues.  Dunno if he’s a McD type.  He’s electric with the ball in his hand.  His tape from freshman to junior year looks so much different though.  I want the freshman version.  6’0 185ish. 

Rashee Rice-  SMU-  not sure what to think about him.  His tape doesn’t wow me but he’s tough. Solid route runner and catches the ball.  Tough in the open field and making contested catches. 6’2 200.  Rd 2?

Cedric Tillman-   6’3 215 34.5 inch arm-  if he runs in the 4.4’s, could he be a 1st rd pick or is he 2nd rd bound like Pickens was?   Similar in speed and stature to gabe but excels in contested catches and is tough after the catch, unlike Gabe. 

Then there’s the undersized speed demons-  such an interesting group.  I was hoping to add a wr with speed and also some size- preferably with a larger catch radius and plus contested catch.  Basically, I don’t want another Mckenzie body clone.  Not that all of these WRs are Dirty body clones, but are sub 180ish lbs.  

What are your guys thoughts on these guys:

Jalin Wyatt

Josh Downs

Zay Flowers

All 3 big time speed threats- but are they big enough to hold up as a go to playmaker and be worthy a late 1st round pick?  Wyatt and Downs could be day 1 selections.  Flowers likely 2. 

anyone have knowledge of Tyler Harrell?  Marquez Stevenson-like but probably faster and more built.   Where do you guys think he’ll be drafted?

Those are the guys I know most about at the moment- eager to hear what you guys think about them and the others. 

Go Bills

After Sammy, Watkins, I am against giving up any draft picks to move up for a wide receiver

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, BearNorth said:

PFF Mock out yesterday has the Bills taking Texas RB Bijan Robinson with the #31 pick.  This board would revolt if the Bills picked a RB in Rd1.

He’s the best RB prospect since Saquon. If he is there we better damn well take him

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Bijan Robinson/James Cook might literally be the most talented RB duo in the NFL... on a team that doesn't run the ball.

Normally I'd be ok taking someone as talented as Robinson, because if a game breaker is there at RD1... shouldn't you take the elite talent?... but we need OL/WR.. and James Cook, IMO, is going to be a great RB1 next year.  

To me, it’s all about how the draft falls I would not be against a running back per se I just want the best available talent at the time that we draft

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

After Sammy, Watkins, I am against giving up any draft picks to move up for a wide receiver

That’s no way to live John.  season 2 episode 3 GIF

4 hours ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

I'm with Gunner in this. What I've read and seen so far, not one of the stronger classes. I do like what I have seen and read so far on Rice. He may grade out as an early day 2, but if I had to guess right now, he will go on day 1 and I'd be good with it.

I was just reading some on Rakim Jarrett from Maryland. Day 2/3 pick. Made Feldmans Freak list. Similar measurables to Diggs. Maybe get lucky again from MD?😁

https://thedraftnetwork.com/sr-prospect/rakim-jarrett-5ce28118-eb17-4406-9179-805fa90e73e3/

Interesting- I watched some Jarrett-  he reminded me of Curtis Samuel.  Nothing really stood out to me except his athleticism, but I haven’t watched very much yet.  Maybe a poor man’s Dj Moore?

3 hours ago, Seoulofstone said:

Marvin Mims speed is clear to see and im not just talking deep speed although he doesn’t lack in that department (over 63% of his targets came 10+ yards downfield last season). The Oklahoma WR is an explosive athlete who can accelerate downfield instantly. Double moves are easy chunk gains as he plants his foot and hits the afterburners. Additionally Mims can tempo his routes lulling receivers into a false sense of security before crossing their face,

-James Fragoza PFF

I’m never a fan of drafting a sub 180 lb WR, especially those that run 4.45+

Eager to see what he runs. He’s a great route runner for sure. Just dunno if he has the juice to stay alive. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Seoulofstone said:

It’s a popular opinion based on the assumption that we will move on from one of Morse, Bates or Saffold. I think it would be smart but it’s not a given. Slot receiver, safety and linebacker are all possibilities. I would love Mazi Smith DT in 3rd round but he will probably go higher.

What if Torrance/Schmitz/Vorhees are gone? OT? 

Bates? I think there is exactly 0.0% chance that we move on from Bates given his play/contract and I don't remember anyone on this board suggesting otherwise.

Agree on other two. Saffold is imo gone unless he takes vet min. Morse might retire.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, NewEra said:

It’s looking like We’ll be looking to draft at least 1 WR in the first 2 days of the draft.  We’ve gone back to John Brown and Cole Beasley.  Two moves that I’m happy about…. Which is why WR must be addressed early in the draft.  

I just wanted to get the discussion going and see who you guys like and in which rounds.

Just from watching a decent amount of college football this year and watching a couple hours of highlights, this WR group has some intriguing talent and some electricity in small packages.

I’ll get it started by talking about the guys I’ve seen the most of.  

Quintin Johnston-  TCU-   Early on in the process (only watched live games and highlights), I think I’d give up this years 1st and next years 2nd for him.  6’4, 215 tackle breaking rac monster.  He looks special to me and I think he’ll be a top 10 pick and the 1st wr taken. He’d be perfect compliment to Diggs and a sure fire hall of famer with Josh throwing to him….. as long as he clean up his concentration lapse drops.  As of 12/29, he’s the guy I want.  A guy can dream.  😔 

Kayshon Boutte-  LSU-  disappointing junior year and I’m hearing serious character issues.  Dunno if he’s a McD type.  He’s electric with the ball in his hand.  His tape from freshman to junior year looks so much different though.  I want the freshman version.  6’0 185ish. 

Rashee Rice-  SMU-  not sure what to think about him.  His tape doesn’t wow me but he’s tough. Solid route runner and catches the ball.  Tough in the open field and making contested catches. 6’2 200.  Rd 2?

Cedric Tillman-   6’3 215 34.5 inch arm-  if he runs in the 4.4’s, could he be a 1st rd pick or is he 2nd rd bound like Pickens was?   Similar in speed and stature to gabe but excels in contested catches and is tough after the catch, unlike Gabe. 

Then there’s the undersized speed demons-  such an interesting group.  I was hoping to add a wr with speed and also some size- preferably with a larger catch radius and plus contested catch.  Basically, I don’t want another Mckenzie body clone.  Not that all of these WRs are Dirty body clones, but are sub 180ish lbs.  

What are your guys thoughts on these guys:

Jalin Wyatt

Josh Downs

Zay Flowers

All 3 big time speed threats- but are they big enough to hold up as a go to playmaker and be worthy a late 1st round pick?  Wyatt and Downs could be day 1 selections.  Flowers likely 2. 

anyone have knowledge of Tyler Harrell?  Marquez Stevenson-like but probably faster and more built.   Where do you guys think he’ll be drafted?

Those are the guys I know most about at the moment- eager to hear what you guys think about them and the others. 

Go Bills

Can we add JSN to the list? Last year, he was the best of the Buckeyes WRs and that includes Olave & Garrett Wilson. He actually reminds me a little of Diggs. He can win anywhere & would be the OROY in the Bills offense.

• Agree 1

If we draft a WR in RD1, and I'm all on board if that falls our way, he should be a guy with a WR1 profile/skill set.  

Not necessarily a guy who will be a WR1 out the gate, but someone with a body type, speed, skill set that translates to a WR1 at some point.

If that guy isn't there, I'd be ok going OL or BPA.

There were guys where we drafted last year that fit the profile.... Watson/Pickens.  

I'm not interested, at all, in drafting a small burner or big jump ball guy in RD1. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

Bates? I think there is exactly 0.0% chance that we move on from Bates given his play/contract and I don't remember anyone on this board suggesting otherwise.

Agree on other two. Saffold is imo gone unless he takes vet min. Morse might retire.

Thing is you’re paying Bates as a starting guard and the Bills are tight to the cap. Saffold came to Buff because of the OL coach and despite being mediocre he wants to stay. So if you pay him (even vet min) which is conceivable in my mind but not necessarily in his, you set yourself up to move on from Bates. I’m not advocating for any of this. I’m just wary of fan driven narratives about draft need.

• Disagree 1

27 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

What if they moved up last year for Garrett Wilson instead of taking Elam (who still may be good)? If they did that the Bills would have the 1 seed locked up and may be undefeated. It is about the PLAYER not the position. If the Bills selected Mike Evans instead of Watkins you wouldn’t feel that way.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

It’s not flashy but I find it impossible to believe that we can’t get an every down Interior Lineman with our top pick. I’m 100% good with that. 

Or move back if value isn’t there.

Trouble with the WR conversation is that Quentin Johnson and Jordan Addison will be gone. 1st is too early to draft a slot like Rice.

I’m thinking guard, safety. Good players on rookie contracts.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Can we add JSN to the list? Last year, he was the best of the Buckeyes WRs and that includes Olave & Garrett Wilson. He actually reminds me a little of Diggs. He can win anywhere & would be the OROY in the Bills offense.

I like the way that receiving the pass is so easy for him.   With the Bills band of ball battling receivers......having another like Diggs who has great ball skills is very appealing.   The two big questions are the medical evaluation after missing this season and whether drafting a slot-only type in round 1 is good value.    His brother Canaan is a 1st baseman the Yankees drafted in 4th round in 2017 and knee injuries slowed his progress in the Yankees system before he was dealt to Pittsburgh,  so I wonder about the medicals.   I know people will argue about whether he's slot only........but it's a distinct possibility, IMO.  

12 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

It’s not flashy but I find it impossible to believe that we can’t get an every down Interior Lineman with our top pick. I’m 100% good with that. 

4 minutes ago, Seoulofstone said:

Or move back if value isn’t there.

Trouble with the WR conversation is that Quentin Johnson and Jordan Addison will be gone. 1st is too early to draft a slot like Rice.

I’m thinking guard, safety. Good players on rookie contracts.

I think that OL & WR will be the 1st 2 picks in whichever order. I’d be REALLY surprised if they added another defensive player early. They have to invest around Allen at this point.

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I like the way that receiving the pass is so easy for him.   With the Bills band of ball battling receivers......having another like Diggs who has great ball skills is very appealing.   The two big questions are the medical evaluation after missing this season and whether drafting a slot-only type in round 1 is good value.    His brother Canaan is a 1st baseman the Yankees drafted in 4th round in 2017 and knee injuries slowed his progress in the Yankees system before he was dealt to Pittsburgh,  so I wonder about the medicals.   I know people will argue about whether he's slot only........but it's a distinct possibility, IMO.  

Personally, I think that the medicals this year was just a way to protect himself. I know that the OSU fans have been annoyed but I don’t blame him. I believe that he can, and will, play in and out in the NFL (like Diggs). Without the injury there is no way that JSN would have fallen to 30 (or whatever). He’s going to be a great pro, day 1, imo. 

Good topic. 

I really think the Bills will let Davis play out his rookie deal and move on. We are already paying Diggs and knox and there isn’t a lot of money left. We need to fill out the roster with rookie deals. That said…I would love a receiver in 1 with the option of the fifth year. Let Davis and the rookie compete in camp next year and let them make each other better, cause let’s face it…Davis hasn’t been challenged, nor has he lived up to the expectations. 

As far as the prospects…I LOVE Quentin Johnston. He would be perfect for this offense. Allen would have a field day with him and Diggs. Elite size, good speed. Winner. 

Jordan Addison would be solid. He reminds me of Garrett Wilson. He could play slot or burn you deep. 

I think there is a good chance both those guys will be gone, so guys like Rashee Rice and Jalin Hyatt really intrigue me. I think Hyatt might be gone too as he’s compared to Jameson Williams and has world class speed along with the Bilitnikoff award. Rashee Rice seems to have really good hands that pluck the ball and has good power to shed tackles.  

I would be ok with any of these guys in 1, along with JSN from Ohio state, Josh downs, and Zay flowers. JSN just doesn’t have the production this year, which is concerning. The other two are smaller slot guys in the Jahan Dotson mold.

Im pretty much in the first round WR camp, with OL in 2. I could handle vice versa, but i think it would be best to get an elite offensive weapon in 1 and add some beef to the line in 2. I just hope Beane and McD doesn’t look at it like we need to keep building the d line or draft a safety in 1. This team is far overdue to add some blue chip talent to the roster on offense. 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Good topic. 

I really think the Bills will let Davis play out his rookie deal and move on. We are already paying Diggs and knox and there isn’t a lot of money left. We need to fill out the roster with rookie deals. That said…I would love a receiver in 1 with the option of the fifth year. Let Davis and the rookie compete in camp next year and let them make each other better, cause let’s face it…Davis hasn’t been challenged, nor has he lived up to the expectations. 

As far as the prospects…I LOVE Quentin Johnston. He would be perfect for this offense. Allen would have a field day with him and Diggs. Elite size, good speed. Winner. 

Jordan Addison would be solid. He reminds me of Garrett Wilson. He could play slot or burn you deep. 

I think there is a good chance both those guys will be gone, so guys like Rashee Rice and Jalin Hyatt really intrigue me. I think Hyatt might be gone too as he’s compared to Jameson Williams and has world class speed along with the Bilitnikoff award. Rashee Rice seems to have really good hands that pluck the ball and has good power to shed tackles.  

I would be ok with any of these guys in 1, along with JSN from Ohio state, Josh downs, and Zay flowers. JSN just doesn’t have the production this year, which is concerning. The other two are smaller slot guys in the Jahan Dotson mold.

Im pretty much in the first round WR camp, with OL in 2. I could handle vice versa, but i think it would be best to get an elite offensive weapon in 1 and add some beef to the line in 2. I just hope Beane and McD doesn’t look at it like we need to keep building the d line or draft a safety in 1. This team is far overdue to add some blue chip talent to the roster on offense. 

The 5th year option is an interesting element that I hadn’t considered. With the rising cost of star receivers it is a good idea.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.