2023 Draft- Wide Receiver discussion

NewEra

It’s looking like We’ll be looking to draft at least 1 WR in the first 2 days of the draft.  We’ve gone back to John Brown and Cole Beasley.  Two moves that I’m happy about…. Which is why WR must be addressed early in the draft.  

I just wanted to get the discussion going and see who you guys like and in which rounds.

Just from watching a decent amount of college football this year and watching a couple hours of highlights, this WR group has some intriguing talent and some electricity in small packages.

I’ll get it started by talking about the guys I’ve seen the most of.  

Quintin Johnston-  TCU-   Early on in the process (only watched live games and highlights), I think I’d give up this years 1st and next years 2nd for him.  6’4, 215 tackle breaking rac monster.  He looks special to me and I think he’ll be a top 10 pick and the 1st wr taken. He’d be perfect compliment to Diggs and a sure fire hall of famer with Josh throwing to him….. as long as he clean up his concentration lapse drops.  As of 12/29, he’s the guy I want.  A guy can dream.  😔 

Kayshon Boutte-  LSU-  disappointing junior year and I’m hearing serious character issues.  Dunno if he’s a McD type.  He’s electric with the ball in his hand.  His tape from freshman to junior year looks so much different though.  I want the freshman version.  6’0 185ish. 

Rashee Rice-  SMU-  not sure what to think about him.  His tape doesn’t wow me but he’s tough. Solid route runner and catches the ball.  Tough in the open field and making contested catches. 6’2 200.  Rd 2?

Cedric Tillman-   6’3 215 34.5 inch arm-  if he runs in the 4.4’s, could he be a 1st rd pick or is he 2nd rd bound like Pickens was?   Similar in speed and stature to gabe but excels in contested catches and is tough after the catch, unlike Gabe. 

Then there’s the undersized speed demons-  such an interesting group.  I was hoping to add a wr with speed and also some size- preferably with a larger catch radius and plus contested catch.  Basically, I don’t want another Mckenzie body clone.  Not that all of these WRs are Dirty body clones, but are sub 180ish lbs.  

What are your guys thoughts on these guys:

Jalin Wyatt

Josh Downs

Zay Flowers

All 3 big time speed threats- but are they big enough to hold up as a go to playmaker and be worthy a late 1st round pick?  Wyatt and Downs could be day 1 selections.  Flowers likely 2. 

anyone have knowledge of Tyler Harrell?  Marquez Stevenson-like but probably faster and more built.   Where do you guys think he’ll be drafted?

Those are the guys I know most about at the moment- eager to hear what you guys think about them and the others. 

would love more info on:

Jaxon Smith-Njigba 

Jordan Addison

parker Washington

AT Perry

Trey Palmer

Jonathan Mingo

Johnny Wilson

Dontayvion Wicks

Ainias Smith

Puka Nacua

Go Bills

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Who's the Deandre Hopkins or Davante Adams of this draft? Hopkins was taken 27th overall and Adams was in the 2nd round. I don't remember them standing out physically, but they stood out with their catching ability (Hopkins) and route running (Adams). That Rice kid you mention seems like that kind of prospect.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

I really like what little I’ve seen from Josh Downs.  Man, he would be a serious upgrade for this team at slot WR, but is the slot a position worth even a late first?  I would not think that he would make it past the early 2nd.

Hyatt from Tennessee has speed and played well this year, too.

Parker Washington is an atypically thickly built slot option.

• Like (+1) 1

Agree the TCU kid comes off the board first. Reminds me a bit of a mix between Drake London and Christian Watson from last year.

London's size, contested catch ability and production in a power 5 conference, but more speed ala Watson, however equally a more limited route tree. 

My early take is it is not as strong a class as 2022. I can make a cass that Olave, Wilson, Williams, Burks and possibly London (he was my WR5) could all be WR1 in this class. But I think there are a lot of good players here. A lot of late day 1 / early day 2 types who might get pushed up the board for need.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'm with Gunner in this. What I've read and seen so far, not one of the stronger classes. I do like what I have seen and read so far on Rice. He may grade out as an early day 2, but if I had to guess right now, he will go on day 1 and I'd be good with it.

I was just reading some on Rakim Jarrett from Maryland. Day 2/3 pick. Made Feldmans Freak list. Similar measurables to Diggs. Maybe get lucky again from MD?😁

https://thedraftnetwork.com/sr-prospect/rakim-jarrett-5ce28118-eb17-4406-9179-805fa90e73e3/

• Like (+1) 1

My overall conclusion from my first week's worth of work on this class is that it should very much be a let the draft come to you draft for the Bills. We  have 6 confirmed picks - a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, two 5ths. Whether we still have our 6th depends on whether Hines has met the conditions applied when we traded for him (if they were offensive production related one assumes he may not). Our 7th belongs to Atlanta (Marlowe trade). 

I don't think there are a lot of "must have" players at positions where the Bills really need them. I am not one of the "you never trade up in the draft except for a QB crowd." Every draft is different, every situation is different. Beane has been a 'trade upper' for the most part (some have worked, some haven't) but showed at the end of the 2nd round last year that in the right circumstances he is willing to move back. This is a stand pat or move back, don't reach draft. I don't love the offensive tackle group but I think some of the other spots where you could say the Bills need help - IOL, WR, S, TE, DT, RB - have good rounds 2 through 4 type options. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

I'm with Gunner in this. What I've read and seen so far, not one of the stronger classes. I do like what I have seen and read so far on Rice. He may grade out as an early day 2, but if I had to guess right now, he will go on day 1 and I'd be good with it.

I was just reading some on Rakim Jarrett from Maryland. Day 2/3 pick. Made Feldmans Freak list. Similar measurables to Diggs. Maybe get lucky again from MD?😁

https://thedraftnetwork.com/sr-prospect/rakim-jarrett-5ce28118-eb17-4406-9179-805fa90e73e3/

I have done a couple of early sims (I know a lot can change) but at the moment I think the two most realistic 'good' options for the Bills (currently drafting at #30) is select Rice or slide back 10 spots or so and collect an extra pick or two.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I have done a couple of early sims (I know a lot can change) but at the moment I think the two most realistic 'good' options for the Bills (currently drafting at #30) is select Rice or slide back 10 spots or so and collect an extra pick or two.

I have done a few as well. When I do, not so sure I like the trade value so I either grab Rice or an OG a little early just as I see those as the priority right now. Obviously could all change with FA, who we keep and combine. But with th FA costs at wr, I have got to think it would be at the top of the draft for us. Let alone a need.

Im not really too high on a lot of the receivers but the kid from Tennessee is good and would be a great fit on the Bills.   I think he's potentially available late first. 

A prospect for much later in the draft or maybe UDFA that was severely underutilized because of poor QB play is Justin Shorter who is from Univ Florida and could potentially play a hybrid TE/WR.  He transferred from Penn St. and was a 5 star recruit out of HS.  A big bodied WR.  He has a ton of really good attributes size, speed, toughness and an intelligent player.  Could potentially be coached up to realize potential which just isnt a hallmark of UF past several years, especially at WR.

Marvin Mims speed is clear to see and im not just talking deep speed although he doesn’t lack in that department (over 63% of his targets came 10+ yards downfield last season). The Oklahoma WR is an explosive athlete who can accelerate downfield instantly. Double moves are easy chunk gains as he plants his foot and hits the afterburners. Additionally Mims can tempo his routes lulling receivers into a false sense of security before crossing their face,

-James Fragoza PFF

Edited by Seoulofstone
  • Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, DJB said:

Jordan Addison USC and Jaxon Smith Njigba Ohio state are two others everyone should be familiar with

Yea I think Addison will go round 1.... and he is the kind of receiver that I should like, because he already demonstrates quite an advanced understanding of leverage and route adjustment which helps him to separate. Those nuances are the things a lot of college receiver have to learn on the fly in the pros. Despite that though he just kind of leaves me a bit underwhelmed on tape.

I think it is two things... one is USC scheme him a hell of a lot of free releases and Pitt did the same. Now obviously, scheming your good players free releases is a good thing to do so I can see the thinking that he shouldn't be knocked for that. But it leaves me wondering if they are doing that because they know getting off press isn't his game. Then the Utah film where pretty much all of his production came on gimmick stuff - end arounds, bubble screens, coming out of the backfield - and every time they went to him down the field Clark Phillips III (really like that kid btw) got physical with him and won the battle. It just makes me wonder about physicality and ability to cope with it at the next level. 

Not saying he isn't a talented boy, he clearly is, or that he can't play in the NFL. But if you are drafting this kid high you need to do so with a clear plan of how you are using him. If he made it to the Bills at the end of the 1st I'd definitely be interested. But if I was a wide receiver needy team higher up.... Chicago or Tennessee for example I'd be wary. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

I like his teammate Dontay Demus Jr. too. Big body, contested catch guy. Injury concerns though, but so was Pickens. Demus was the guy in MD prior to his injury. 

6 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Probably have to look at WR's who will be there in the 2nd or 3rd rounds. My guess is the Bills go OL in Rd 1.

It’s a popular opinion based on the assumption that we will move on from one of Morse, Bates or Saffold. I think it would be smart but it’s not a given. Slot receiver, safety and linebacker are all possibilities. I would love Mazi Smith DT in 3rd round but he will probably go higher.

What if Torrance/Schmitz/Vorhees are gone? OT? 

Edited by Seoulofstone

4 hours ago, NewEra said:

It’s looking like We’ll be looking to draft at least 1 WR in the first 2 days of the draft.  We’ve gone back to John Brown and Cole Beasley.  Two moves that I’m happy about…. Which is why WR must be addressed early in the draft.  

I just wanted to get the discussion going and see who you guys like and in which rounds.

Just from watching a decent amount of college football this year and watching a couple hours of highlights, this WR group has some intriguing talent and some electricity in small packages.

I’ll get it started by talking about the guys I’ve seen the most of.  

Quintin Johnston-  TCU-   Early on in the process (only watched live games and highlights), I think I’d give up this years 1st and next years 2nd for him.  6’4, 215 tackle breaking rac monster.  He looks special to me and I think he’ll be a top 10 pick and the 1st wr taken. He’d be perfect compliment to Diggs and a sure fire hall of famer with Josh throwing to him….. as long as he clean up his concentration lapse drops.  As of 12/29, he’s the guy I want.  A guy can dream.  😔 

Kayshon Boutte-  LSU-  disappointing junior year and I’m hearing serious character issues.  Dunno if he’s a McD type.  He’s electric with the ball in his hand.  His tape from freshman to junior year looks so much different though.  I want the freshman version.  6’0 185ish. 

Rashee Rice-  SMU-  not sure what to think about him.  His tape doesn’t wow me but he’s tough. Solid route runner and catches the ball.  Tough in the open field and making contested catches. 6’2 200.  Rd 2?

Cedric Tillman-   6’3 215 34.5 inch arm-  if he runs in the 4.4’s, could he be a 1st rd pick or is he 2nd rd bound like Pickens was?   Similar in speed and stature to gabe but excels in contested catches and is tough after the catch, unlike Gabe. 

Then there’s the undersized speed demons-  such an interesting group.  I was hoping to add a wr with speed and also some size- preferably with a larger catch radius and plus contested catch.  Basically, I don’t want another Mckenzie body clone.  Not that all of these WRs are Dirty body clones, but are sub 180ish lbs.  

What are your guys thoughts on these guys:

Jalin Wyatt

Josh Downs

Zay Flowers

All 3 big time speed threats- but are they big enough to hold up as a go to playmaker and be worthy a late 1st round pick?  Wyatt and Downs could be day 1 selections.  Flowers likely 2. 

anyone have knowledge of Tyler Harrell?  Marquez Stevenson-like but probably faster and more built.   Where do you guys think he’ll be drafted?

Those are the guys I know most about at the moment- eager to hear what you guys think about them and the others. 

Go Bills

One of the things I've learned in my time in this world, is never bet against an SMU WR being successful in the NFL. For as average as that program has been, it has produced many high quality WR's in the NFL. I loved Danny Gray coming out last year as well and thought he was a 3rd rounder when everyone else was saying round 5-6 for him. Obviously he's in a very deep SF WR Room so he hasn't shown out yet. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.