Bills at Bengals 1998

Buffalo03

I remember watching this game after the "just give it to them" lost to the Patriots the week before. I love that we came out the following week and dominated an inferior opponent but the week leading up to that game was a long week getting over the prior week. Eric Moulds was a beast in this game as he always was and I loved that Flutie to Moulds hookup. If anyone remembers anything about this game, feel free to post them here. As always.....Go Bills

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

My daughter and I attended this game.  The new stadium was being built next door and that was an interesting site.

As far as the game went, the Bills dominated.   We sat next to some nice Bengal fans who told us

about the protest that was to occur late in the game.  Supposedly, a large number of fans were to exit the stadium

protesting the owner.  I thought a better protest would be to not even buy tickets in the first place.

The fans did leave, but only because the Bengals were getting crushed.

The next day I had my first knee surgery for a meniscus issue.  Thats my big memory  LOL 

Edited by LewPort71
  • Like (+1) 5

I was in high school and listened to this game at work. Had it playing throughout the restaurant in Mississippi and none of the customers knew why, lol. Great work day! This was one of my favorite teams after the early & mid-90's roster. Still had some from those teams hanging around, but John Butler did a fantastic job rebuilding with what he could. I still believe if we had beaten the Dolphins in the playoffs that year we'd have gone to the Super Bowl again. 

Edited by extrahammer
  • Like (+1) 1

This isn’t the full game but I liked this.  The Terrence McGee kick-6/pick-6 game.  Based on how both teams’ seasons were going, the Bills shouldn’t have been anywhere close to competing with the Bengals but they went into Cincinnati and upset them.  If Carson Palmer doesn’t get hurt in the playoffs, good chance the Bengals could have won the SB that year.

23 hours ago, extrahammer said:

I was in high school and listened to this game at work. Had it playing throughout the restaurant in Mississippi and none of the customers knew why, lol. Great work day! This was one of my favorite teams after the early & mid-90's roster. Still had some from those teams hanging around, but John Butler did a fantastic job rebuilding with what he could. I still believe if we had beaten the Dolphins in the playoffs that year we'd have gone to the Super Bowl again. 

We got robbed in that playoff game. I remember Andre Reed bumping a ref and getting ejected because he clearly scored a TD and was called short of the goal line but this was the year before they brought replay back so it couldn't be reviewed.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

We got robbed in that playoff game. I remember Andre Reed bumping a ref and getting ejected because he clearly scored a TD and was called short of the goal line but this was the year before they brought replay back so it couldn't be reviewed.

That and I remember Thurman running to mid-field and flipping off either the refs or some Dolphins players. The TV broadcast aired it and I used to have it as my avatar here. 

16 minutes ago, extrahammer said:

That and I remember Thurman running to mid-field and flipping off either the refs or some Dolphins players. The TV broadcast aired it and I used to have it as my avatar here. 

I didn't know that. That's funny. The other thing that hurts in that game of you rewatch it is the very first offensive play, Flutie hits Moulds deep and Moulds gets taken down and fumbles. That tackle would be a horse collar tackle today. It didn't exist back then

39 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

I didn't know that. That's funny. The other thing that hurts in that game of you rewatch it is the very first offensive play, Flutie hits Moulds deep and Moulds gets taken down and fumbles. That tackle would be a horse collar tackle today. It didn't exist back then

I remember that distinctly, was 50-60 yard bomb, I had met Moulds a week prior in New Orleans for the final regular season game. Cool experience for a first game, Moulds motioned for me to come past security where he and other players were, the security guard let me through, and I got to meet him along with Ralph, Flutie, Bruce, Andre, Antowain Smith, and John Clayton from ESPN... RIP. That playoff game Moulds bounced back though, setting the playoff record for receiving yards at 240 yards. 

Edited by extrahammer
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo03 said:

When I was watching this at the time and saw Moulds fumble that long pass play, I thought it was a bad omen for later.  But it was early and we had so much time. Flutie was actually really good in that game and out passed Marino. If not for the blind side sack at the end it would have been a big game in his career.  As someone mentioned earlier the Andre Reed ejection was absolute killer. I had forgotten about that travesty (One of several by the refs that season vs the Bills). Watching it again 24 years later it still burns me. Reed scores the TD, then barely hits the official (who reacts like he was punched), then is ejected. Reed wasnt on the field for the final drive, so Flutie doesnt have one of his best options in the red zone.   Bills get screwed and lose. A familiar story!

On 12/28/2022 at 8:38 AM, KDIGGZ said:

How about 1988 AFC championship game?

https://youtu.be/4vUl9rDfQQY

This is the game I think about when I think of the Bengals.

They were one of our real hurdles in the early days of building the Super Bowl teams.

It's funny that after so many decades of crap from both organizations we are both back at the top again.

2 hours ago, extrahammer said:

I remember that distinctly, was 50-60 yard bomb, I had met Moulds a week prior in New Orleans for the final regular season game. Cool experience for a first game, Moulds motioned for me to come past security where he and other players were, the security guard let me through, and I got to meet him along with Ralph, Flutie, Bruce, Andre, Antowain Smith, and John Clayton from ESPN... RIP. That playoff game Moulds bounced back though, setting the playoff record for receiving yards at 240 yards. 

Nice. That would have been a great experience 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.