Josh Allen this season compared to Brett Favre's 1996 MVP/SB season

EasternOHBillsFan

6 minutes ago, Clark Rotary said:

Madden's love of all thing Favre had to help his MVP chances also

This was supposed to really be about the Super Bowl championship rather than the MVP to be honest... Josh is getting dogged for his style just because he hasn't putting up Burrow-like numbers. Burrow-like numbers aren't necessarily needed to win a Super Bowl...

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan

13 hours ago, AlfaBill said:

The comp percentage I think is also due to the inability to pass defend as one could in the 90’s. 

QB's took deep drop backs back then and threw the ball down the field. These days they are usually in shotgun and play the quick pass game more often. Quick passes have replaced some of the running game that was more prominent back then. More quick passes increases completion percentage.

Plus, yeah, defenders were allowed to defend more back then.

18 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

The stat lines for both Josh Allen this season and the 1996 season of Brett Favre are eye opening:

Josh Allen (15G): 32 passing TDs, 13 INTs, 63.4% CMP, 7 rushing TDs, 13 fumbles, 5 fumbles recovered.

Brett Favre (16G): 38 passing TDs, 13 INTs, 59.9% CMP, 2 rushing TDs, 11 fumbles, 5 fumbles recovered.

I knew that Josh was having a good season, but looking at this he is really having a GREAT season.

In the 1996 season, Favre lost two games before going on a 5 game winning streak to end the season at 13-3 and then took that streak and rode it right to the championship, beating the 12-4 49ers, the 12-4 Panthers and the 11-5 Patriots.

This bodes extremely well for us considering that Josh is not playing at 100% and he has progressed on a curve at a better pace than Favre did. I just thought I would provide a positive assessment before we play the Bengals!

GO BILLS

To me Josh is a mix of :

Brett Favre -  gun for an arm, mobile, creative, wreckless at times but gets away with most gambles

Cam Newton -  size, toughness, excellent runner 

Tony Romo - Josh's new throwing motion is pretty much a carbon copy of Romo's. There's been several interviews where Josh credited an offseason meeting with Romo as having a huge impact in how he approaches his throwing motion 

7 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

It's not that different... the stats that matter for a freakishly athletic QB that balls out and doesn't play it as safe as a conventional QB- turnovers, completion percentage, total touchdowns- are not all that different. Sure the amount of passing yardage has increased, and I left that out in my comparison, but the RELEVANT stats point to the fact that a QB that plays like Josh does can win a Super Bowl. If you don't get that then that's a you problem.

yikes man. its way freaking different. The passing game and qb's are expected to be much more efficient with the football in 2022...

I freaking love Josh Allen but using an MVP season from 1996 to downplay his TO's is a really bad look. geez.

Favre completed 59% of his passes that year and still was in the top 10 for comp%. That wouldnt even crack the top 20 in todays nfl. He had a 95 qb rating which was 2nd in the whole league. That wouldnt even crack the top ten this year..... they're td #'s are similar cool. But josh needs to have much better efficiency #'s than a 1996 brett favre if we're winning the whole thing.

Edited by Stank_Nasty

Farve was a much more talented Tony Romo and when he was on was insanely good.

But quite frankly Josh is the second coming of John Elway he is the closest thing I have seen in the NFL to a one man gang since the 1980s Denver Broncos… with Josh the Bills win can the Super Bowl without him we would be talking about CJ Stroud and Bryce Young. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.