Prime Time Josh vs Sunday 1pm Sugar Rush Josh

freddyjj

I actually don’t feel he plays down to lesser competition but rather plays too hard to the point of recklessness because he wants to bury a team in the 1st quarter. He sees the Bears as a team he can experiment on and help pad his teammates’ stats and thus looks for deeper routes while ignoring layups. 

His one primary exception is New England because of their “infamous” defensive prowess. He seems to almost feel even better just picking them apart like Brady used to do to the Bills. Effectively, he wants the Pats to do everything but still fail while he just finds their holes and exploits them mercilessly. Other lesser teams he seems more interested in just blowing them up versus giving cruel and unusual punishment.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

I have a theory. It's probably nuts, but here goes...

By and large, prime time matchups tend to be against strong opponents, and 1pm games seem to be against weaker competition. There are exceptions, obviously, but this is generally true.

When Josh is going against prime competition, he brings his "A game" more often than not. When he's going against weaker competition, he sometimes plays down to the competition. He sometimes appears not to have the same level of intensity or effectiveness against weaker opponents. He's like a cat, toying with a piece of prey that he knows he could kill at any time. He makes more dumb mistakes and doesn't always have that "eye of the tiger" thing going on. This is what it felt like against the Browns and Bears this season, for instance. 

Meanwhile, when the primetime lights are on and the stakes are high, more often than not, he's locked in. He's Good Josh. He's "run over you and get up laughing" Josh. He's Inevitable Josh.

Ok, go ahead and roast me and my dumb theory.

What else did you think is insinuated when his primetime numbers are brought up?

It's hard to draw a different conclusion than he is clearly more focused in those higher profile matchups.

He needs to be like Brady and many other great QB's of the past and try to generate intensity/disdain for each opponent.

I think we saw Allen do that when the Bills played Denver in 2020 and he was determined to show John Elway(who had put in a good deal of time evaluating Allen as a prospect) how dumb he was for picking Bradley Chubb instead of him.

For all the talk about how amazing Allen's transformation to a great QB was.........the reality is that he went 7th overall in the draft.........it's not like every team passed on him multiple times in the draft like GOAT and former GOAT Tom Brady and Joe Montana.   

• Like (+1) 1

The Bills have been considered a contender now for about 3 years. If they play in primetime it is most likely against a decent team. In the playoffs they're also playing against a good team with the exception of the team located near Rhode Island in which the locals speak a language that has no "R's". The book in the past has been that in order to control the Bill's offense the deep passing game needs to be shut down. The Bill's game plan expects their opponent to take that approach and he's coached to take what is given him. Even though that is against his nature he kills the other team with a thousand cuts until they loosen up on the deep throws and try to prevent the short stuff. All things considered, Josh seems to be more disciplined in the big games and doesn't stray from that if or until he's got a pretty big lead.

On a side note the Bills have lost some games in previous years when Josh was injured but still played. If they were primetime games that may have skewed his record.

One thing I see that Josh needs to do...get rid of the "Choose Love" on the back of his helmet. It's a fatal flaw that makes him soft, makes him have mercy. He needs to be a hardass to win it all like Brady, who'd run up the score against the Bills once to 58 I remember. .

• Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Blah Blah said:

One thing I see that Josh needs to do...get rid of the "Choose Love" on the back of his helmet. It's a fatal flaw that makes him soft, makes him have mercy. He needs to be a hardass to win it all like Brady, who'd run up the score against the Bills once to 58 I remember. .

I'm thinking "Jail More Uyghurs" would send the right message.

• Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Logic said:

By and large, prime time matchups tend to be against strong opponents, and 1pm games seem to be against weaker competition. There are exceptions, obviously, but this is generally true.

When Josh is going against prime competition, he brings his "A game" more often than not. When he's going against weaker competition, he sometimes plays down to the competition. He sometimes appears not to have the same level of intensity or effectiveness against weaker opponents. He's like a cat, toying with a piece of prey that he knows he could kill at any time. He makes more dumb mistakes and doesn't always have that "eye of the tiger" thing going on. This is what it felt like against the Browns and Bears this season, for instance. 

Meanwhile, when the primetime lights are on and the stakes are high, more often than not, he's locked in. He's Good Josh. He's "run over you and get up laughing" Josh. He's Inevitable Josh.

Yes,

He at times seems to take more risks against opponents who may not present what appears to be the same challenge as other opponents in game. 
It seems against stronger opponents, risk time comes when we have to have it.  

Bills are having a hard time being the hunted IMO, every opponent is amped up to play them and take a shot at the king. This team gets too high and low despite McDermott's PR to not do so. 

I have no doubt they will show up in Cinci. It's just a question of if they do their homework to the same level..  we'll see.

Edited by ArtVandalay

12 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

Bills are having a hard time being the hunted IMO, every opponent is amped up to play them and take a shot at the king. This team gets too high and low despite McDermott's PR to not do so. 

I have no doubt they will show up in Cinci. It's just a question of if they do their homework to the same level..  we'll see.

Homework?

4 hours ago, AuntieEm said:

Yea I'd think it would likely be many of the 1pm games were home games and Josh tries too do more in front of the home crowd.  I'd isolate home 1pm games see how he does there vs other 1pm games.  Would possibly lend weight to above hypothesis.

I really should be asleep, so this season only…

(Passer rating - passing TD - INT - rushing TD)

1pm home

Steelers: 134.1 - 4 - 1 - 0

Vikings: 78.6 - 1 - 2 -0

Jets: 86.5 - 1 - 0 - 1

Dolphins: 119.2 - 4 - 0 - 0

We played the Browns at 1pm Sunday but in Detroit (100.4 - 1 - 0 - 0)

1pm away

Dolphins: 94.7 - 2 - 0 - 0

Ravens: 68.4 - 1 - 1 - 1

Jets: 46.8 - 0 - 2 - 2

The Bills faced the Bears on a Saturday at 1pm, Josh’s record being 71.3 - 2 - 2 - 1.

In a pretty obvious imbalance, we’ve only had two non-Sunday 1pm games at home this year - the Titans in week two (128.9 - 4 - 0 - 0) and the Packers in week 5 (75.1 - 2 - 2 - 0).

Away, we’ve had five games taking place away from Sunday 1pm, the Bears noted above. Otherwise:

Rams: 112.0 - 3 - 2 - 1

Chiefs: 117.6 - 3 - 0 - 0

Lions: 80.8 - 2 - 1 - 1

Patriots: 106.0 - 2 - 0 - 0

In general, Josh has been far better in primetime (Rams, Titans, Chiefs, Packers, Patriots) then when not. The Packers is a slight anomaly where perhaps complacency set it after a dominant first half. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Logic said:

I would add that he has a bit of a chip on his shoulder from not being recruited to a college and the pundits generally saying he would bust. So in the bigger game, bigger audience there’s a part of him that says ‘put this in your pipe and smoke it!’

52 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

I really should be asleep, so this season only…

(Passer rating - passing TD - INT - rushing TD)

1pm home

Steelers: 134.1 - 4 - 1 - 0

Vikings: 78.6 - 1 - 2 -0

Jets: 86.5 - 1 - 0 - 1

Dolphins: 119.2 - 4 - 0 - 0

We played the Browns at 1pm Sunday but in Detroit (100.4 - 1 - 0 - 0)

1pm away

Dolphins: 94.7 - 2 - 0 - 0

Ravens: 68.4 - 1 - 1 - 1

Jets: 46.8 - 0 - 2 - 2

The Bills faced the Bears on a Saturday at 1pm, Josh’s record being 71.3 - 2 - 2 - 1.

In a pretty obvious imbalance, we’ve only had two non-Sunday 1pm games at home this year - the Titans in week two (128.9 - 4 - 0 - 0) and the Packers in week 5 (75.1 - 2 - 2 - 0).

Away, we’ve had five games taking place away from Sunday 1pm, the Bears noted above. Otherwise:

Rams: 112.0 - 3 - 2 - 1

Chiefs: 117.6 - 3 - 0 - 0

Lions: 80.8 - 2 - 1 - 1

Patriots: 106.0 - 2 - 0 - 0

In general, Josh has been far better in primetime (Rams, Titans, Chiefs, Packers, Patriots) then when not. The Packers is a slight anomaly where perhaps complacency set it after a dominant first half. 

Thank you for taking time to check.  I guess basically comes down to general luck as with everybody.  Some days everything is good next day nothing goes right.  Can't always control how things unfold.

9 hours ago, freddyjj said:

Albeit this year's Bills broadcast Schedule has been bizarre given the amount of Prime Time slots (Rams, Titans, Lions, NE, MIA, (KC) Late SUN CBS Nat'l feed) and then our usual SUN 1pm kickoffs.  I had a feeling there was a discrepancy between Josh on National TV vs the SUN 1pm kickoffs, and boy, it seems there is.  

Primetime Josh in 6 National games has an average Rating of 103, has thrown 18 TDs and 3 INTs.  Bills are 6-0!

Sunday 1pm Sugar Rush Josh in 9 regional games average Rating of 84, has thrown 14 Tds and 10 INTsBills are 6-3.

Admittedly a small sample size, many prime time games were early in year before elbow injury and weather was an issue in 3-4 early time slot games.  I have seen many posters here surmise Josh gets really focused for the bright lights.   Food for thought here.

edited with Bold for emphasis and to show records in said games.

Are those numbers a bit off? I can remember 2 INT's against the Rams & 2 INT's vs the Packers.

9 hours ago, ChasBB said:

Josh is 3-3 all-time on MNF ...
2020: 2-1
2021: 0-2
2022: 1-0

Here's his stats on MNF ...
https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/josh-allen-monday-night-football

2021 kind of weird year: “ wind game” at home vs NE.. @TEN slip on QB sneak or it’s a likely win. Prime time Josh will show up for this one. 

2 hours ago, BigDingus said:

Are those numbers a bit off? I can remember 2 INT's against the Rams & 2 INT's vs the Packers.

My bad, thanks for catching as I did not have Packers as a prime time game when it was, in fact, a SNF game.  Will edit accordingly. 

Edited by freddyjj

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.